Why does everyone smoke pot??

nrabbit

Diabloii.Net Member
Satans_Advocate said:
Dude what are you talking about?

Weed and Pot are just slang terms for marijuana. It has nothing to do with strength. Skunk is a name for a strain of marijuana. Hydroponically grown marijuana can be of any strain.

Sorry, but i call bull**** again. I've heard this many times by prohibitionists and its simply not true. Marijuana has 4x as much tar in it as tobacco. Tobacco, however, has more carcinogens and also has nasty cancer causing chemicals. Its also addictive and kills thousands of people every year. Can't say the same about weed.

The "gateway" argument has been around for a long time and has also been refuted many times. For example, since someone usually tries caffiene, alcohol, or nicotine before other illegal drugs, by your logic they must be dangerous gateway drugs too. The gateway argument is also very ignorant in that it stereotypes pot smokers as people who want to try more drugs. There are many people who smoke pot and nothing else. proof of this lies in the fact that there are so many more pot users than harder drug users. Like, exponentially more.

he said it all

Matt

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Regarding the gateway drug issue...

While its obvious that not evey (not most even) pot smokers dont do more hardcore drugs, we must also conscider that there are virtually no hardcore drug users (where I'm from anyways) who didnt get into drugs via weed.

Basically, weed doesnt make people use harder drugs, and its ridiculous to say that every person who smokes pot will go and shoot up heroin, that should go without saying. However, I know quite a few people who use hardcore drugs (ecestacy, heroin, crack, LSD, mushrooms etc), and every SINGLE one I know, started with smoking weed.

I guess I think it all depends how you define gateway drug... I think it does lead to harder drugs, but its misleading to say that alone, since it certianly doesnt lead to any harder drugs in most peoples case, even if it does in others.

This post is pretty poorly written, steam of consciousness style... so I'll paraphrase:
Pot does not, as a rule, lead to harder drug use, but people who use harder drugs, as a rule, started out with pot.

Now, whether or not that makes pot a gateway drug, I'm not sure, its all about your definition of a gateway drug...

-Matt

djIgneo

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not sure I buy the whole "drugs are bad" thing one way or the other. It seems like people tend to draw a line somewhere and say "drugs worse than ___ are bad." It could be drugs worse than aspirin or drugs worse than alcohol, marijuana, or your drug of choice. Drugs are bad why?

Personally, I drink alcohol. I have smoked cigarettes before and would smoke a cigar here or there, but I don't normally smoke. I've never smoked marijuana and don't particularly intend to. I use other drugs that are "ok" such as caffeine.

I guess my question is: What's the point? Is the point personal health or personal productivity? The main two arguments I hear one way or the other are: a) Drugs are bad for you physically -and- b) Drugs make you a loser.

This thread has used both arguments, but to play devil's advocate why exactly does it matter? If someone wants to leech off of their parents for thier whole life why should it bother me exactly? If people want to do unhealthy things why should it bother me?

nrabbit

Diabloii.Net Member
djIgneo said:
This thread has used both arguments, but to play devil's advocate why exactly does it matter? If someone wants to leech off of their parents for thier whole life why should it bother me exactly? If people want to do unhealthy things why should it bother me?
the point is that it bothers the person who posted this thread

Darnoc

Diabloii.Net Member
Matt said:
Regarding the gateway drug issue...

While its obvious that not evey (not most even) pot smokers dont do more hardcore drugs, we must also conscider that there are virtually no hardcore drug users (where I'm from anyways) who didnt get into drugs via weed.

Basically, weed doesnt make people use harder drugs, and its ridiculous to say that every person who smokes pot will go and shoot up heroin, that should go without saying. However, I know quite a few people who use hardcore drugs (ecestacy, heroin, crack, LSD, mushrooms etc), and every SINGLE one I know, started with smoking weed.

I guess I think it all depends how you define gateway drug... I think it does lead to harder drugs, but its misleading to say that alone, since it certianly doesnt lead to any harder drugs in most peoples case, even if it does in others.

This post is pretty poorly written, steam of consciousness style... so I'll paraphrase:
Pot does not, as a rule, lead to harder drug use, but people who use harder drugs, as a rule, started out with pot.

Now, whether or not that makes pot a gateway drug, I'm not sure, its all about your definition of a gateway drug...

-Matt

I know of quite a few people that picked up coke from being at the bars and clubs drinking all the time; they think pot is a dirty hippy drug, but have no problem snorting coke; ecestacy and liquid g are kind of that way too.

I agree with the point you are making, though it doesn't start with weed. Weed is just a stepping stone that comes after alcohol, cigarettes, and even prescription drugs, simply because its illegal and makes people less adamant about not trying other illegal drugs; the main problem is they try the harder things before they take the time to find out what these other drugs will do to them.

I don't know of anyone who didn't at least smoke cigarettes or drink before they started smoking weed.

onionfarm

Diabloii.Net Member
Here's the question that all the above posters are leading up to; Is alcohol a gateway drug? I know I drank before I ever smoked pot.

Dirty_Zulu

Diabloii.Net Member
KnightFall said:
Well most people wont smoke weed 'pure'. You use tobacco too. So yes. Not sure if pure would do it to you, cant afford to smoke weed pure...

Yes

Difficult one, it does effect your ability to react yeah but it depends how much you smoke. It's like having 1 beer and being ok to drive, 1 spliff and you'd be ok too.

KnightFall
OK weed experts. I have more questions for ya.

Is it true that orgasm is much more intense under the influence of weed?

Are water bongs the most efficient way to smoke your good stuffs?

Why girls smoke less than guys?

Eff

Banned
Satans_Advocate said:
Dude what are you talking about?

Weed and Pot are just slang terms for marijuana. It has nothing to do with strength. Skunk is a name for a strain of marijuana. Hydroponically grown marijuana can be of any strain.
tch. he's from england.

i posted it a couple times in this forum, but i spent last summer messing with the stuff at least 4 days a week, revolving my life around it and all that. Not that that it wasn't fun, but i wasn't very intersting anymore, wasn't achieving anything, and knew that doing so much of nothing and allowing myself to be so lazily was just gonna be something to look back on and regret.
i do it about once every 3 weeks now, with the plan of not being a slave to it or being a slave to not doing it. if it's treated as occasion, and you force yourslef to do cool sh*t when you're stoned 9as opposed to sitting around playing videogames), then it's an awesome experience enhancer/creater.

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
Satans_Advocate said:
The "gateway" argument has been around for a long time and has also been refuted many times.
George Koob, M.D., of the Scripps Research Institute, 2005

"Studies of long-term exposure to cannabinoids, the active ingredient in marijuana, suggest that addiction to one drug could make a person vulnerable to abuse and addiction to other drugs. Cannabis abuse, he says, appears to activate corticotropin-releasing factor, a brain chemical that increases during periods of stress. Consequently, Koob says, this could "lead to a subtle disruption of brain processes that are then 'primed' for further and easier disruption by other drugs of abuse."

Doesn't look disproven to me. Got any recent authoritative sources?
www.make_pot_legal.com doesn't count.

For example, since someone usually tries caffiene, alcohol, or nicotine before other illegal drugs, by your logic they must be dangerous gateway drugs too.
No, for several reasons. First, pot has a unique biochemical effect the others do not. See above. Second, the other drugs are socially accepted (which they shouldn't be). Pot is not. By using pot, you know you are crossing a line into illegal activity and once you do so, you are more willing to keep going. Third, many people who use pot begin to lose the high after a while. To get the high, they move into harder drugs. Because a person who uses pot is more likely to be involved in a culture that promotes drug use to get a high, they will be more likely to seek the high even if it means moving into harder drugs.

Alcohol also has some of these effects (less so probably). And frankly, I consider this one more reason to ban alcohol. Or cigs, for that matter. The only difference I see in them and other drugs is they have been used longer and are tolerated. I don't see that as sufficient justification for beer/cigs and I definately don't think that justifies pot. If anything, my response to the "but beer is just as bad" argument is "ok, sign this petition to help me ban beer then."

The gateway argument is also very ignorant in that it stereotypes pot smokers as people who want to try more drugs.
No, the gateway effect claims the use of a relatively benign drug can lead to harder drugs. As evidenced by the fact virtually all hard drugs users expirimented with pot first. And potheads are more accepting of drug use of other kinds, etc. Although there may be some selection bias at work here, the gateway drug theory has nothing to do with stereotypes. It simply claims pot leads to harder drugs, by behavior, acceptance, and chemical reaction.

Is pot the worst thing ever? No. Is it worse than alcohol/cigs? Maybe. Probably not the substance itself, but the culture probably so. Are you going to be a crack fiend is you smoke pot? Not necessarily, but it appears you increase your chances.

And all this for what?

Garbad

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member
So Garbad ... you are a teetotaler aren't you? You want to bring back the Volstead Act. Outlaw Liquor!!

Tobacco has many health harzards. Outlaw Luckies, Chaws, and El Productos!!!

Nah, let's go further ... everyone needs to straighten up and fly right. Let's outlaw all drugs.

Everyone knows that heroin turns almost immediately into morphine ... or did you? Regardless ... both drugs are abused. Outlaw Morphine!!

Hydrocodone, a synthetic opiate used for pain relief, is highly abused in our society. Shoot, Rush Limbaugh was on these. Outlaw Hydrocondone!!

Down with Demerol!!

Down with Percosets!!

Down with Dialudid!!

Down with Fentanyl!!!

Down with medicinal Marijuana!!!

Suffering people?? Who cares about them? After all, you got your agenda.

Right?

The world according to Garbad. :uhhuh:

Count me out ....

The only thing I don't like about pot is the mild memory loss and, if in the wrong situation, paranoia. Other than that, it is fantastic for recreation.

Damnatorius

Diabloii.Net Member
yeah the paranoia thing is really annoying when somebody else has it, it suddenly all isn't fun anymore and you gotta continue outside in the cold :/

Amra

Diabloii.Net Member
I think cotton's post from the alcoholic thread fits in nicely here.

cotton said:
I've always thought that overall behavioural changes were much more important than ammount consumed in determining whether you have a problem. I know a lot of people that get ripped on occasion (me included) that I do not believe are alcoholics.

Now, if you start missing work and family obligations to drink, if your life begins to revolve around the cocktail hour, if you find you must have a drink in order to sleep/get up/relax/live, then the situation becomes different. The fact that I like partying like a rock star til 3am and drinking while I'm doing it doesn't doesn't make me an alcy, so long as the alcohol doesn't control my life.
I think a similar line of thinking applies here when talking about gateway drugs. If someone has some type of emotional issue, they will continue to find a way (i.e. use harder drugs) in order to escape once the current drug of choice is not as effective. It's not the weed (or whatever) itself; it's the person who is using and for what reason.

blu3l1ghtn1ng

Diabloii.Net Member
llad12 said:
So Garbad ... you are a teetotaler aren't you? You want to bring back the Volstead Act. Outlaw Liquor!!

Tobacco has many health harzards. Outlaw Luckies, Chaws, and El Productos!!!

Nah, let's go further ... everyone needs to straighten up and fly right. Let's outlaw all drugs.

Everyone knows that heroin turns almost immediately into morphine ... or did you? Regardless ... both drugs are abused. Outlaw Morphine!!

Hydrocodone, a synthetic opiate used for pain relief, is highly abused in our society. Shoot, Rush Limbaugh was on these. Outlaw Hydrocondone!!

Down with Demerol!!

Down with Percosets!!

Down with Dialudid!!

Down with Fentanyl!!!

Down with medicinal Marijuana!!!

Suffering people?? Who cares about them? After all, you got your agenda.

Right?

The world according to Garbad. :uhhuh:

Count me out ....

Nothing said anything about medicinal marijuana.

CyberHawk

Diabloii.Net Member
I dont need drugs to enhance my life in anyway. Legal ones or not.

Now I'm not saying that having a good cigar every now and then is a bad things..I've smoked like 5-6 in 15 yrs. Free will here..and people should use it. But when it comes to illegal drugs....naaah I'd rather people just stick with whats legal. And of course never abuse them.

And to a person like aroundthe 2nd page mentioned does driving/stoned hurt. I got a dead friend that would say otherwise. As we argued in this forum before...right weed didn't "kill" him outright...but driving with it did.

But as far as me..I dont drink nor smoke anything cept like I said...maybe a cigar, one every couple yrs a so.

Steve_Kow

Banned
Garbad_the_Weak said:
College is nothing more than a goverment/parent subsidized extended childhood. Waste of time and money for almost everyone.

I propose we require a minimum of 5 years work experience before anyone can enter college. Not only will it give us an unending supply of cheap young labor but it would make the term "student" less synonymous with "unemployed druggie."

Garbad
Well, I only worked for four years before starting school. . . does that count? ;)

I have noticed quite a big difference between myself and the younger students, namely that I realize how important it is to actually graduate and they seem more preoccupied with partying.

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member
Garbad_the_Weak said:
Yes. But I didn't vote for Bush and I am against the war in Iraq, so can we be friends?

Garbad
Sure Garb ... just as long as you don't take me seriously ;)

Ron Burgundy

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, but have you ever seen the back of a 20 on weeeed? Oh there's some wierd **** in there man. There's a dude sitting in the bushes. Does he have a gun? I don't know man. I don't know. What? Red team go. Red team go."