Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why does every review have high scores for D3, yet the community seems to be down?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by imthedan, May 23, 2012.

1. imthedan

imthedan Diabloii.Net Member

It seems all the reviews are positive for Diablo 3. Now, I'll say that I'm starting to like the game more now, but there's no way that Diablo 3 should be considered a 9/10 in its current state. The fact that people are getting hacked left and right, the item system is below average, exploiters, ect...

What is your opinion this? My reasoning is people like the game, but I think they feel they owe an allegiance to the game companies. It's well known that if you give a game a negative review, that generally, those game companies will not invite them back to do previews for their games and/or pull ads from their sites.

Don't get me wrong; Diablo 3 is a fun game. It's definitely not as bad as many are saying, but it's hardly a 9/10.

What do you guys think?

2. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Why does every review have high scores for D3, yet the community seems to be down

Not sure about the politics of booty smoochins, but I think some can look at it and see the forest for the trees.

It's way too early to make any comment on many issues / resulting fixes, and I think they mostly focus on the gameplay aspect. In that light, D3 has succeeded with flying colors. The community still has to explore the game and reconcile their personal fannon and expectations with reality. It's just easier to be disappointed even in a phenomenal game when it doesn't match 100% to an individual's exact preferences / specifications.

D3 is definitely a 9/10. It's amazing in all areas, but enough tiny things keep it from being utterly perfect. And no, I don't mean items / skills, just a mouse aiming issue and the fact that I have to use a frozen Tshirt under my laptop to play past an hour :p

3. Grunthex

Grunthex Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Why does every review have high scores for D3, yet the community seems to be down

The "community" isn't down. There's a few hardcore whiners that are posting non-stop in every thread they can find. They're massively outnumbered by those enjoying the game. I think this offends them.

4. imthedan

imthedan Diabloii.Net Member

If you check the Battle forums, there seems to be a mass amount of people that are unhappy with the game. Those that have gotten refunds for the game and those that have stopped playing until it's fixed.

I agree that that game play mechanics of the game are great. I enjoy that part of the game, but the items are just terrible. I have a feeling it'll get fixed, though.

5. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

To play devil's advocate, have the battle.net forums ever been happy?

Items are great for a vanilla release. Do recall we have 2 expansion packs to get. I would expect an expansion to have content in it, and hopefully include some items. I foresee more gems, more mods (not just a lump "other"), an even more elite class of items (like LOD added), maybe different types of sockets, possibly whatever the Talisman was supposed to do with a charm system.

6. BellaStrega

BellaStrega Diabloii.Net Member

Clearly, your review would differ from theirs. But does that make them wrong in terms of expressing their subjective opinions of the game's quality? It may be they're only giving it a high score because it's Blizzard, or it may be because they honestly feel that it's worth a high score. Or maybe a combination of the two.

Edit: removed irrelevant comment.

7. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze Diabloii.Net Member

If you actually look at the polls on the rating of D3 on this board, the reviews does not seem surprising at all. As for B.net forums, it's a place where every race claims that their race is UP and that the other 2 races are OP, and that losses were no fault of their own despite floating 5k minerals.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/vote-how-was-your-first-week-of-diablo-iii

8. Chim

Chim Diabloii.Net Member

The game itself is fantastic. I believe the battle.net forums are saturated with negative posts because that's where people assume complaints will be addressed.

The servers and abuses are the biggest issue for me. Through knowledge of countless abuses and easy farming, I stood my ground and farmed my way through act 2/3. The only thing I got in return was having the game rollback right after finding two 1k dps weapons from one treasure goblin.

I understand that things like this happen. The servers are clogged and clearly they weren't able to anticipate the sheer dedication people have for the game. Still, I don't think many people would tell me that I'm in the wrong to be angry. It's not going to deter me from playing the game entirely, but it made me stop for long enough to make this post.

9. Mrjones

Mrjones Diabloii.Net Member

Reviews can be bought.

10. swayzesghost

swayzesghost Banned

I do agree that the community is somewhat down on this game. This isn't a usual case of the vocal minority *****ing over perceived flaws in the game. This is more like a significant third or so of players that are really unhappy that the game shipped in a seemingly beta state after years of "polish"...so many things about the game are inconsistent and apparently untested. I've gamed since the mid 80s and this one is a stinker.

11. Sofolas

Sofolas Diabloii.Net Member

The game is awesome for the first days, aside for the second half of the story. The things people are unhappy about, both loot and gameplay-wise, appears in hell and inferno and I doubt many reviewers got that far before writing their piece.

12. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

Yes servers crash and you lose effort - wish they kept track of active and gave you a bonus or something but it happens.

I'm Playing Single Player or IRL with Friends and the payoff is in doing it over time, I plan to do it a lot.

I only hope we get real hacks like the old days MuHaHaHaHaHa!
    Think of the items you could get in free games when it was rampant!

Busy playing

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  13. BellaStrega

BellaStrega Diabloii.Net Member

To add to my above post, I think that people expected a lot from Diablo III, and many expected a lot more of the same as Diablo II. I think that the negative reaction is overly represented because people are far more likely to complain while people who are happy with the game are more likely to play more and post less.

I do think itemization will improve. They changed a lot of mechanics from Diablo II, so a simple port of every affix was simply not feasible and would leave items a huge mess. What they have now is a very good basis, even if it doesn't lead to the more unique/interesting items. If people make a point of this lack, the developers may very well find a way to work it into a patch or the first expansion.

I am fine with the item system as it stands right now.

14. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze Diabloii.Net Member

Significant 1/3? See the link I put above.

Edit: I suppose if you include B.net woes, then it might be a significant 1/3.

15. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod Diabloii.Net Member

It's interesting to see that the people whom are upset with D3 are getting attacked for simply stating their frame of mind about the game. It's been extremely rare imho to see someone who doesn't like the game attacking those that do. I understand this because by attacking the game it is attacking peoples pride in the game so it comes across as personal.

A little diplomacy goes a long long way right now when it comes to critiquing D3 else be labelled trollboy. I am personally trying hard to persevere with the game due to the time I spent waiting for it and the money I spent on it. I wouldn't ask for a refund because I am holding out hope for new content as Blizzard have been the best company when it comes to providing constant and free support through their product ranges life spans.

However, I will never ever again pre-purchase another Blizzard product/service. Never again, totally and absolutely my mistake. I should have learned my lesson from Rage.

16. Zorrah

Zorrah Diabloii.Net Member

I believe that the game is at least a 9/10 or maybe even a 10/10 personally. It's not that I don't understand the negativity, it's definitely not Diablo II and not Diablo I. Many of the launch technical issues left me with a not so great first impression, but I did chalk that up to standard online launch time woes, which will be overcome fairly quick. If they keep the WoW schedule of updates, you're also going to run into the standard Tuesday complainers.

See, I've said this a couple of other places, but sequel balance is more like, if you have too much the same, why make another game. If you have too much that's different, is it really a sequel? I think Diablo III balanced this quite well. Most haters on this board will tell you it's not enough Diablo. I've seen some funny posts saying it's too much Diablo. (Bliz, y u no haf WASD movement, it's 2012).

17. Thrakhath

Thrakhath Diabloii.Net Member

The people who like the game most are too busy playing to post in forums...

18. Sevenfold

Sevenfold Diabloii.Net Member

People getting hacked isn't Blizzard's fault unless you can find something that indicates it is a systemic failure on their part. Everyone is responsible for installing and updating an antivirus application, using good judgment when determining what links to click on and URLs to visit, and attaching an authenticator to their account. Choose not to do those things at your own risk.

It's not "well known" that giving a game a negative review gets you blacklisted. It has happened before, sure, but it doesn't happen nearly as often as you seem to be insinuating. Companies don't want bad press and releasing a game to poor reviews is bad enough already, they don't want to compound that with a consumer backlash by blacklisting reviewers who will only turn around and make the situation public knowledge. Professional reviewers are giving the game such high marks because they're able to look at the game objectively and fairly.

D3 may not be as well polished as D2 just yet but it hasn't been in the public's hands for roughly a decade, either. D3 is a significant improvement and all signs indicate that things will continue to evolve and improve just as D2 has done over the years. If you can't enjoy and appreciate a game like this for what it is while looking forward to what's still to come I think you're doing it wrong.

19. Tenet

Tenet Diabloii.Net Member

The game has its faults, but including hacks and server issues among them is nonsense. It's like giving a movie a bad review because you showed up late on opening weekend and didn't get a ticket. Tough turtles. I was there at three in the morning trying to log on like two million other people, and it sucked a bag of dicks at the time, but it really has nothing to do with the quality of the game.

There are some issues that need to be addressed, but I think it is unreasonable to expect perfection from a video game. It sounds crazy to say this, but I think the game was actually rushed to release even though it took the better part of a decade of work. This is why we're seeing item/stat issues, balancing problems, etc. None of this is anything that can't be fixed with a patch (recall that Diablo II was far from perfect at release). In the end, I think some people were expecting Diablo II part deux, some actually just don't like the game for whatever reason, and some just like to complain. It really is a vocal minority, though.

20. LucianDK

LucianDK Diabloii.Net Member

Ive enjoyed D3 alot and have gotten my moneys worth from it. The only real 4 issues that stands out in my mind is:

1: Useless crafters, AH is far better.

2: Higher difficulties is excessively punishing for meleers.

3: A -VERY- uninspired loot system. Ive only seen one legendary, the lvl 16 magefist.

4: Far too many effects on the screen going on, hard to see whats going on, which further punishes meleers.