Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why do they need demon copses?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Wirt, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Wirt

Wirt IncGamers Member

Why do they need demon copses?

From the Diablo Twitter:
    "High-priority task for our modelers this month: We have a critical shortage of demon corpses."

My first thought was "CORPSE EXPLOSION RETURNS!". My speculation is they are implementing some corpse based spells atm and need to test them.

But then also notice 'demon' corpses. So spells that require a specific type of corpse.. not from an undead for example, but it must from a demon.

Bring in your speculations.

Wirt

2. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia IncGamers Member

Re: Why do they need demon copses?

I am not really sure what it means. I thought that each monster was animated with rag doll physics so that their corpses would fly around and strike silly poses. I also thought that each monster was build up from many pieces that could fall off or explode based upon received damage and/or critical hit.

I don't know how much of this holds true for different types of monsters. The snake-demons seem to me to end up crumpled on the floor in pre-animated poses more than most so it could be for those sorts of monsters.

Another interpretation is that more demon corpses are necessary to decorate the lair of a prime evil whose reckless cruelty slays friend and foe alike.

A third possibility is that pre-animated poses for corpses are used in certain scripted death scenarios sort of like the seigebreaker head chomp.

3. elganame

elganame IncGamers Member

It could be that in certain epic scenes of battle the number of demon corpses are flooding the screen and needs to get some twist so the game wont get slowed down by rendering mambo jambos...

4. Slevinn

Slevinn IncGamers Member

I kind of took it as they have all of these monster designs, yet they've been focusing on other aspects of the game and the modelers need to finish the demon corpses?

5. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

That's how I took it. It seemed to refer to the corpses in an ambient way.

6. Flux

Flux Administrator

I don't see why they'd need more corpses of actual fightable monsters, since their corpse mode is just part of their regular animation. The artists create movement, attacking, fleeing, etc poses and movements, and that includes their death poses. If they needed more death poses that would be on the modelers and animators to tweak the monsters appearance when lying there dead. It wouldn't require new artwork.

I really doubt they'll bring back corpse spells at this point in the development. Corpses have been intangible objects all along; and the only changes made have been to make them take longer to dissolve and to leave more blood, since they were vanishing too quickly in the early builds.

My take on the tweet is that they need gruesome decorations. Maybe there's a level where the player walks through a battlefield and views the carnage? There was a long ago example from Jay Wilson of character/plot hypothetical, where you'd follow a trail of monster corpses to find an NPC sitting atop a huge pile of them.

For something like that, they'd want original artwork for the corpses; not just reusing the same monster death poses that players have seen thousands of times already, after every battle.