Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why do people mention/ask for -LR on Infinity?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Claudio_G, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Claudio_G

Claudio_G IncGamers Member

Why do people mention/ask for -LR on Infinity?

First of all: I am merely curious and do not want to start a flame :)

I see trading threads, people offering Infinites and listening the minus lightning resistance, why?

The quest for the perfect item (even if it has no meaning) or being not well informed?

Please correct me if I am wrong how I see it:
    1. The minus lightning resistance only works for the toon that actually holds the infinity (merc) and only on the mob he is hiting.
    2. It is not an aura
    3. The only lightning attack the merc has (well unless he is wearing sparkling mail or something) is the 50% chance of casting level 20 CL when killing an enemy. Besides that this is useless in hell difficulty (level 20 CL without synergies and lightning mastery is cool in normal diff but that's it) in order to get this bonus he has to hit another mob after killing the first while the CL is in the air, right?
    4. Even if your sorc hits the very same mob your merc is hiting your sorc still does not get the minus lightning resistance on this mob (right?) and even if it would be that way, one mob out of a dozen or so does next to nothing.
    5. Even if one would put the Infinity on the sorc instead of the merc (which is not very smart, losing +5 skills, up to 75 fcr, resists etc etc) the sorc would not get the minus lightning resistance, the sorc would have to physically hit a mob to get this bonus.

So how I see it there is exactly no difference of any importance between an Infinity with -45 or -55 enemy LR besides that some people are on the never ending quest for the perfect item, right?

Claudio

2. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

5. is false, you don't think facets require physical hitting do you? It's the same thing. Some people do use their infinities on their sorcs, mainly for dueling, but it still seems really dumb to me.

And yeah, some people have more wealth than brains, unfortunately.

3. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

I see some people with Dream helms on mercs for some reason.

I hope it's just for the Confuse proc, 1-648 lightning damage to attack is hardly godly.

Perhaps people want to use a higher -lit res in conjunction with Dream, to get higher lightning damage? Or maybe they just are fools, just like Merick said.

4. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

I know some people were using Dream helms AND shields on Act 3 mercs for a while. Not sure how successful that was...:shocked:

5. Claudio_G

Claudio_G IncGamers Member

After Blizzard did not care to fix the dual aura merc bug for months and months and months (well they did now), I who usually stays away as far as far as possible from bug exploits tried it and to be honest it was more a burden than a real advantage. Maybe if someone also used a program that automaticall re-equiqs those items a few hundred times and not have to do it manually but I do not use any hacks, cheat, MH third party programms.

My conclusion after a few tests was just that: Lighting Sorc plus Infinity merc is a legit way to be far more versatile and powerful than the double aura merc bug exploits which was possible back then.

Claudio