Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why do people do it?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by ReZ The Profound, Mar 30, 2004.

1. ReZ The Profound

ReZ The Profound IncGamers Member

Why do people do it?

i went to trade tal armour + 47% wt for 18/19/9 anni, as always i dropped first tha assasin grabbed items then dropped anni and picked it up again i thought she was just joking around saying stuff like "To slow your bad" then she left the game... its not the items i have spare of both, its the principal personally i would never scam/hussle anyone guess theres no point to this thread just pissed off >[email protected]

2. bwirum

bwirum IncGamers Member

Was it someone from this forum? Or on the TCs?

3. Jackalofdoom

Jackalofdoom IncGamers Member

I recently got scammed out of a cold facet that way, The person said they would trade perfect gheeds for it. They drop and come to pick up the facet, i get the gheeds and turns out to be f****ing 32%. I do not understand why they would make these certain items non-tradable, it poses many problems like scammers.

4. WvX_leader

WvX_leader Banned

Bliz made the game for you to find the item, and get bored in PvM

If it were meant for PvP they wouldnt be so ****ing stupid...

[long live pvp]

5. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Never drop your items for TC people.

Always check the item in the tradescreen before they mark the green thing.

Never believe someone who says he can dupe.

Those three rules should prevent you from being scammed. Rules of the thumb. You can only get your gold stolen or pk'd but that's not bad unless you're in hc. But if you pay attention they still need to use hacks to get you. Way worse hacks than maphack.

6. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Also, do NOT download and run programs that would make it possible for you to dupe. There are some variations to what can make such a program dangerous for you. Here are some;

- Program may be a Trojan/Keylogger, meant to either control your computer or steal your login/password.

- Program may be a drop bot, meant to let you drop your items involuntarily and then drop you from the realm.

- Program may be a realm dropper, meant to drop you from the realm but keep your char in the game. This is dangerous for HC chars, who can die outside camp.

I've been in a few games just to figure out what scam they were up to so I could laugh at them. When they ask you to go to another game with a password, then you almost KNOW it's the second one.

Also, there are tricks that do not make use of a program, but just use the ingame options. These only work on the unwary of course, but it still stinks. Most have to do with items such as Gheed and Annihilus charm, which are not traded in the "normal" way. Few of these scams are;

- Act1 teleport scam. This scam works as follows: Most people are unaware that a Teleport capable char is able to teleport from outside of the camp to inside. They lure you into dropping your item by a wall (while you think they can't pick it up because they're outside) and then walking to the other side. The Teleport char then picks his item up again, teleports over the wall and picks up your item.

- Act2 town-inn scam. This scam is done in the Inn (next to Atma). The scammer lures you into dropping your item on the other side (right side) of the bar inside the inn. He drops his item to show his good will, you also drop your item, but because there is no room to drop the item it is dropped at the other side of the bar (where you can't reach it). Scammer can pick up items at leisure.

- Act3 Meshif scam. This scam works in parties only. When you trade in act3, be sure you're alone and you do not drop near Meshif. You can go from act2 to act3 via Meshif, bypassing the Waypoint. Scammer usually lures you into dropping your items near Meshif while he drops at some other spot. You walk to the other item, he does the same, other player goes through Meshif and picks up your item while scammer returns to his items too.

- Do not disturb scam. Not really a trade or dupe scam, but I mention it anyway. It is used by some people who "recruit" people for a Clan. When you want to enter they ask you to type "/dnd login password" or some such to check your ladder position for their registration. This command however sends back the "Do Not Disturb" message to anyone who whispers, so they only have to message you and they can plunder your account.

7. ReZ The Profound

ReZ The Profound IncGamers Member

LOL! people love screwing me over but this time i deserved it because this trick was a really good one i went to trade a totally bad arky for a 290, i show arky he shows 290 i press green button, he says No wait wait ive got to make room in inventory, im like ok naturally seeing as he just showed me a full inventory i retrade press the green button thinking its still the 290 but infact its a +10life sc :(,

- Act2 town-inn scam. This scam is done in the Inn (next to Atma). The scammer lures you into dropping your item on the other side (right side) of the bar inside the inn. He drops his item to show his good will, you also drop your item, but because there is no room to drop the item it is dropped at the other side of the bar (where you can't reach it). Scammer can pick up items at leisure.

Thats also happend to me, but i guess you live and you learn :).

8. Omni_

Omni_ IncGamers Member

Also watch out for pallys they can switch to Vigor and out run you. This might apply to Barbs also.

9. Jackson

Jackson IncGamers Member

Here's what I don't understand about your question of "why do people do it?":

Are you asking:

-Why are people so dumb sometimes and drop their items in front of strangers?
    -Why do people get scammed and then come complaining in the forums?
    Or
    -Why do people download duping programs?

10. Iroqouiz

Iroqouiz IncGamers Member

I also got robbed about a week ago. The sorc did the Act1 Teleport Scam, but hey, it was just a pair of IK gloves so it didn't really matter. I was angry, though. :)

11. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

heh, i don't even remember how many times i've been scammed, had items stolen, or just lost stuff while drop muling by myself in a passworded game.

the trick is to not care. i really don't care about 99% of my items. not that i would give them away. its just that they are virtual items, and should be treated as such. the 1% i care about are the items like the ear of the lvl 91 zon i killed with my 74 FB sorc, the soj i found, and the ring i have that has "adds 3-4 damage." oh, and the rare items with really cool names. i use to have a 'trudgeon bludgeon', or something like that. 'soul trample' boots is also a great name.

as to why ppl scam, they have there reasons. just like pkers and the ppl that buy from ebay. i knew one person who quit playing bc they only played the game to scam ppl. i knew someone else who also scammed for fun, but he scammed the hacked items like the helm that gave you infinite lvl skills, or something like that.

a trick someone told me: ya know when ppl drop an item and repeatedly click on it so that noone can get it, but every can see it? the way to get those items (and shut the idiot up) is to click on him, then in his confusion, pick up the item.

12. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

If you read his post you would have gotten the answer to your question. He got robbed. He asked why people do that at all, no matter what they use to scam people ;)

Personally i never got scammed, but then i traded in TC only ever a few times and that went well. Things in TC might be cheaper, but i prefer communities like these over all else.

13. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

Yup, also a classic. ALWAYS check what the other guys has in his trade windows, especially when he "has no room in inventory"

There are some variations on this scam. For instance, some people ask you to move things around in your inventory (to see it's not a hacked trade window with preloaded picture, don't ask me how it works, it does). They then do the same for you, but on the third replacement, they replace the item with a similar textured lower item. For instance, a Tal's Armour and a Rattlecage look the same.