Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why do monsters ignore my merc?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Question, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Question

Question IncGamers Member

Why do monsters ignore my merc?

And go straight for my sorc? It makes it hard to take on boss packs like the one in baal's throne room.

2. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Re: Why do monsters ignore my merc?

Use teleport to position merc between you and pack, then walk backward. Don't expect them all to go straight to merc, but that should relieve most of the pressure.

3. MrBill

MrBill IncGamers Member

Nice idea but doesn't work (at least not in all cases).

Just earlier this afternoon, my level 66 FO / CL Sorc made it to Hell A1, decided to go grab the Cold Plains Waypoint, but just beyond that was an unpleasant double boss pack of some godly Dark Rogue and a boss Brute with Extra Strong, Extra Fast, Mana Burn and of course Cold Immune.

Each and every monster ran right past poor old Waheed and made a bee-line for my Sorceress, which was not nice when I got Mana Burned and then could not tele so that the merc would be playing meat shield. Fortunately this character has a lot of quick mana regeneration so I was able to teleport... only to see the boss monsters simply ignore the merc and charge right at me.

Anyway, I'm still alive (gogo Static / CL :whistling:), the monsters aren't, but I can personally attest that under some conditions, D2 monsters - and not just boss ones - seem to pay no attention to a mercenary. I'm not sure what triggers this but I suspect that it may be a "gotcha" if a relatively low level character wanders into an excessively high level area.

Which is why I usually start Hell with a character with lots of minions... but that's another story...

Cheers

Mr. Bill

4. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Its always worked for me, always....if its not, you might be doing it wrong :)

When you TP (or, for that matter, whenever a monster gets KBed or goes into interrupt animation), they'll retarget the closest player or minion. If you dont TP far enough back, or if you dont step backwards fast or far enough, its possible that monsters towards the sides will be closer to you than your merc and retarget you. If this happens, just repeat and TP backwards again until you get the right angle.

That sounds like what happened with your Rogues and Brutes - you didnt fall back immediately, so the monsters got your scent again and blew past your merc. Your merc is never a higher level than you, so its not a level-based mechanic

5. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Yep, as droid said that's basically been the case for me. If after using teleport to place merc they still come after me, I just repeat - teleport further back and walk away from the oncoming pack.