Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why do martial artists think they can fight for real? ifra

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dirty_Zulu, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

No Chuck Norris jokes!

2. DPH

DPH IncGamers Member

Throw in some meth and that stuff from that movie that made that guy a supersoldier, and you're unstoppable. Let's see them beat you when you're head is detached from your body and you're still coming at them!

3. DPH

DPH IncGamers Member

Does anyone know the name of the fighting where there's no holds barred? I'm not talking about UFC, i'm talking about the ones held in Japan/Eastern Europe where you see broken bones, etc.

I wanna find some videos of that on youtube.

4. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

The Kumite?

Bad movie worth watching many times.

5. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

*Chokes Smeg out* *Does the super splits*

There are a lot of tournaments that allow just about anything. In kickboxing people die every once in a while.

6. fredsta54

fredsta54 IncGamers Member

meh ill bang out any 1 of you martial artist d2 forumers lol

ezzz

Fred

7. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

I'm sure our local punctuation Nazi packs heat

8. themachine

themachine IncGamers Member

ALL martial arts are effective if they are taught properly. There are very very few schools these days that follow a traditional teaching style. Most of these schools nowdays are just businesses, pumping out blackbelts like a cookie cutter assembly line. I know a chubby girl who got her black belt in TKD in about 10 months. Just because you go to a martial arts school, take martial arts, does not make you a martial artist.

The best fighters in the world get that way from first hand experience. Training helps but training alone will not turn you into a great fighter. Only fighting can turn you into a good fighter. There is no better teacher than experience.

I have had black belt instructors who have never been in a fight in their life and I could beat them sparring simply because I have first hand experience in fighting. All the technique in the world cant hold a candle to experience.

9. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder IncGamers Member

To whoever was knocking Bruce Lee earlier- don't. On his movie sets he would be regularly challenged to real fights by the other guys on the set. They all wanted the reputation of having beaten him, and would use any cheap trick or whatever to try to beat him. These were fights with no rules and he kicked arse easily. Look at some videos where he demonstrates his speed and tell me that reaction time and precision likie his wouldn't be helpful in a street fight.

And to everyone else saying MA is useless in a street fight- you're being silly. MA is not the end all and be all, but it goes a long way. The training that they go through toughens their body so that they can withstand hits that a normal person could not. Ever seen that Fight Science show that was on Discovery Channel? They measured the force behind the Martial Artists' punches and kicks, and it was a hell of a lot more than an untrained person could put out.

Also, ever seen the people who train to break things like bricks and cement blocks? It takes about the same force to crush a coconut as it does a skull, and these guys will obliterate a coconut with one hit.

Saying MA is useless is like saying carrying a knife is useless because some people have guns. Sure, there will be people who take down the guy who's trained in MA. But, in general the guy with MA has an edge, just like the guy with a knife.

10. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

You awful person.

11. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

I've never seen a zombie keep running (for a long distance anyway) without it's head, but the best place to shoot afterwards is the spine. :thumbsup:

12. Silent Shaddow

Silent Shaddow IncGamers Member

ive always wanted to learn some proper form of matrial arts based around a quarterstaff, great for fights in the local snooker club :rolleyes: :laugh:

ive always prided myself on avoiding fights, you know.. words and stuff :shocked:

13. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

Sums it up. This is the main reason why martial arts that actually make their students fight till they tap or get knocked out would have white belts in their art kick the crap out of black belts who were never in that type of fighting before. Most "sparring" in traditional arts don't even allow contact. If you never got hit (unlikely in a real fight) how would you know how to react?

Of course if everything were equal someone who is a blackbelt in a crappy art will most likely beat a regular street person who has also never fought before. It's like you learning how to play chess and then playing against yourself. Of course you'll beat someone who never played chess before. But play against someone who has won chess tournaments -- that's going to be very hard -- if at all, possible.

14. Ace_wanderer

Ace_wanderer IncGamers Member

Wow, you mentioned the god awful show that is Fight Science. For anyone that hasnt seen it, its incredibly stupid and dont watch it otherwise you will never recover that time again and you might find yourself with a lower iq.

A lot of schools are McDojos nowadays thats why you should look for a martial art that actually works like MT or BJJ.

The UFC used to be NHB but they couldnt get it sanctioned so rules were put in place to evolve the sport, Burmese Boxing has very little rules apart from no ground fighting and Vale Tudo is also NHB.

15. bladesyz

bladesyz IncGamers Member

The problem with Martial Arts today is that it's no longer used for life and death combat. Most people who term themselves martial arts experts today have just gone through the katas with little or no fighting experience. Such people, back in feudal times, would make them a novice, at best.

Chinese martial arts focus on katas because that's the traditional way of learning for the chinese: memorization and repetition.

Look at how chinese scholars studied in imperial times: by reading and memorizing hundreds of books. Essentially, being able to memorize books only made one a student. Being able to use those books to write essays and philosophies was what made one a master.

Same thing with martial arts. The katas and styles are only the basis of a martial artist's training. No martial artist should be considered an expert without having actual fighting experience.

16. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

And why do you think so, exactly?

17. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

Damn, how awesome would it be to kick your MA instructor's ***. That would actually just make me feel so...deliciously evil...:evil:

:sinister:

18. Ace_wanderer

Ace_wanderer IncGamers Member

Well first of all there is no need to compare martial arts because they already are being compared is called MMA.

There are only about 3 decent martial artists on that show, Rickson Gracie, Dan Inosanto and the MT guy. It doesnt explain to us clearly how they are measuring it.

The guys they are using are all different sizes,strength and using a different attack so all results are uselss(a flying kick ffs).

The guys faster than a snake? Doesnt look like it and I bet that punch wouldnt even hurt a child.

Then onto all the weapons, the whole thing was just so stupid they had frickin people jumping around with sickles and three sectioned staff trying while seriously trying to see which weapons are the best.

That stupid Australian TKD with his short off all the time with his stupid swipes of the katana at the dummy, to make it worse he keeps on chopping until theres nothing left like a retard.

The ninja death touch? Come on, I dont know what kind of **** he did but it does more damage than a huge guy hitting you in the head with a crow bar, sure.

The only good things were the MT guy, Rickson Gracie, Dan Inosanto and the brothers breaking all the stuff.

Edit:Oh the Boxer and the guy from Jackie Chan's stunt team is legit too. HK stuntmen dont get enough recognition.

19. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

But then again, you've never seen a zombie full stop...

20. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder IncGamers Member

There were valid points made in that show, and what I referenced is one of them. I didn't say the show was the best thing ever. Also, MMA is a real world comparison of MA, and they were trying to do it from a scientific perspective. Both are important, so don't say that the scientific is unnecessary. Had they focused less on entertainment and more on quality (or possibly if the show had been edited differently) it could have been very useful. Anyways like I said, it's not all rubbish so don't jump all over me for referencing it. And, from an entertainment point of view, it is worth a watch.