Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why do all the hammerdins use hoto?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by IN_FLAMES, May 30, 2005.

1. IN_FLAMES

IN_FLAMES Banned

Why do all the hammerdins use hoto?

I hate hoto. Well, I like it on my sorc. And on my windy. But for some reason I absolutely -HATE- it on my hammerdin! I have a 40% resists hoto just sitting in my stash in place of the 87 resist Wizardspike that I use.

I can't see how almost all hammerdins use it! Wizzy gives me (level 90) +180 Mana, 15% to max mana, 15% mana regen. Not to mention 50% FCR and 87 resists. The extra 1.8k damage doesn't even matter, everything is still a 2-4 hit kill.

I'm sick of everyone saying "OMFGZ U NUB LoLk U Y U NOT UZ3 H0To?!!111one1 OMGWTF ROFL U NEB EZPK MUUR PLX1!111!11!!1 GEE GEE"

2. Chimaira

Chimaira Diabloii.Net Member

HOTO is pretty godly...Wish I had one. More damage is harder to get than more mana & resists, which is probably why most people prefer HOTO.

3. IN_FLAMES

IN_FLAMES Banned

It is not godly! Hammerdins have amazing damage even without any weapon at all! If I use hoto or Wizzy in PvP i see no difference in damage as I still have the same killing speed, only Wizzy speeds up my teleport, more mana and more resists! Hoto is just a beefed up occy (for all classes) without the MF!

Huck Foto!

4. Leohappy

Leohappy Diabloii.Net Member

Insight, anyone? :rolleyes:

5. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

hoto adds damage, which is harder to get, that is true, and i guess its the main reason.
    If you manage to get max resists and reach a breakpoint of choice with hoto instead of wizzy, i cant see any reason to why its better... (except that wizzy does look cooler)
    manaproblems rarely occur with rich hammerdins anyway, and as said, insight...

6. Davie.

Davie. Diabloii.Net Member

Wizzie is good I suppose. I'd rather go hoto and a 10fcr ring with like 3 less pcombats(expensive too get lifers) and 20 life single or all res sc's.

7. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

Ok...then consider this:
    What if I don't need the extra resist? (i.e. I reach max with HOTO)
    What if I don't need more FCR? (i.e. I reach 75 with HOTO, and with wizzy, it's 85, not the next breakpoint)
    What if I don't need more mana? (i.e. I use Insight, and I can teleport non-stop for like 2 min without drinking, and in the end, so what if I have to drink one once in a while on my way to Meph?)
    Huh? Would more damage look bad now?

8. dkay

dkay Diabloii.Net Member

well i for one backy ou up on your wiz spike choosing. my pal had wiz spike on all the time (15/7 dex jewel in it) its just too sexy. against guys with - gear and blizz sorcs.. wiz spike is too sexy. my guy also did 11k with wiz so i can pretty much kill any caster in 2 hits. the main reason i use wiz and leave my hoto to collect dust, is because of the mana boost. i love having over 1k mana because i never have to pot up.
    but against barbs and necros i use hoto because against necros, i use oak for minion stack, also i cannot kill good necros (with over 2k life) in 1 hit with wiz but i can with hoto (13k damage kills "better" necros in 1 hit), and you need as much damage as you can get against barbs. but when i used to duel in pubs, i was 100% wiz spike.

good choice and dont get discouraged. :p u and i just prefer a more solid build.

9. dkay

dkay Diabloii.Net Member

you can never have too much "extra" resist. ever duel a orb or blizz sorc with maxed mastery + 20/20 shield ad 5/5 facets everywhere?

the next bp is 125, wiz spike helps you hit that breakpoint.

you can never have too much more mana. in pvp you wont use insight would you? this is a wizspike/hoto discussion, dont bring insight into this.

yes it would because your build isnt as solid as it would be with wiz. if i had 10 pal combats i would ALWAYS stick with wiz. (since i would 1 hit ko any caster) but i use 4 and 1 offensive so i switch for hoto only against 2 classes.

my opinion is that if a pally had decked out charms (which are 40+ life combats or even 30+) then wizspike would be better than hoto. the only benefit from hoto is oak sage charges.

10. IN_FLAMES

IN_FLAMES Banned

BTW, I play on Non-ladder so this Insight you speak of is out of the question (at least for now) I wish I was on ladder though :(.

And yeah, with my current gear set-up I only get FCR from Arach, Magefist and Hoto/wizzy. So the hoto doesn't take me to the 85% breakpoint, and the only way I could get there would be to either get a 'godly' circlet, a duped ammy, or swap out one of my rings for an FCR ring..

11. dkay

dkay Diabloii.Net Member

do my setup.. its pretty solid.

wizspike 15/7
    ber shako (i had circ for 125 bp in stash but i prefer more dr and life boost)
    enigma
    1 soj
    1 s loop (dupped fcr ring.. but i also have a 10/105 mana blue ring)
    arach
    bloodfist

bloodfist for more life/fhr
    you still hit 75% fcr

12. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

Or suicide branch ! It's my favourite. More damage, more life and kicks in at level 33.

13. Bigrob

Bigrob Banned

the godly secpter

+3pcombat, +3bless hammer, +3concentration, 20fcr, 2s

can simply beat hoto by miles.

14. dkay

dkay Diabloii.Net Member

finding a scepter like this is near impossible if not impossible. wonder why they MASSIVE duped viper bludgeons?

15. RetroStar

RetroStar Diabloii.Net Member

It's like asking why do ppl use Botd on NL. Cause it's good.

16. IN_FLAMES

IN_FLAMES Banned

Actually, it's nothing like that and that comment was just stupid. :rolleyes:

17. skilledlord

skilledlord Diabloii.Net Member

I think wiz looks better on my hammerdin.

18. Izo Huio

Izo Huio Diabloii.Net Member

If more people use it, it must work, it's up to you if you don't agree of not... but if people have tried and tested Hammerdin's with HOTO's, and many seem to agree, then there must be a reason. All players are different... And if HOTO's not your piece of cake, then fine, don't use it... but many Hammerdin's love it.

However: I don't go round calling people noobs if they don't have a HOTO... and I don't know why people do... someone once called me a "n00b" because I didn't have a Windforce for my Amazon, I didn't much care... I had a Buriza instead and was having way more fun...

If you prefer something else over the HOTO, then use it, and if your right, then keep it to yourself, why let other's just steal your glory? I douct you are though, HOTO is godly for hammerdin's though

19. Davie.

Davie. Diabloii.Net Member

I want a Viper Bludgeon bad. Too bad im on east, my mage could use a more dmg switch than hoto.

20. encorex

encorex Diabloii.Net Member

wuts a viper bludgeon???????