Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why D3 Online should be Pay to Play...

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by coldsong, Apr 27, 2008.

1. coldsong

coldsong IncGamers Member

Why D3 Online should be Pay to Play...

....so it doesnt become corrupt by dupes, hacks and imbalances like D2 did. Paying assuring the customers WILL have the support beyond original product.
    And don't say that Blizzard is obligated to do all that regardless of the game being P2P - just have a look at D2X and W3:TFT, and then compare it to WoW.

2. Me2NiK

Me2NiK IncGamers Member

Re: Why D3 Online should be Pay to Play...

Ever tried to get support in WoW?
    Do you know how much botting goes on, and how lucrative the character trade is? You're living in a fantasy world in which your $15 a month actually gives you some benefit.

3. coldsong

LOL..... are you comparing botting in WoW (crappy uniques and gold at most, for any smart people with even minimal time investment, gold isnt even a problem) with D2???????????????????? LOL!!!! You're freaking kidding me.
    Yeah, afk-botting in WoW BGs sucks, but that doesnt mean those players will be suddenly amazing at everything like raids and arena. Get real.
    As for character selling, how would you ever solve that? thats a necessary evil of online mmos. And a noob with a buffed out character is still a noob.

4. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

I'm laughing on the inside here. Let's rummage through your posts and find some goodies!
    It looks like P2P didn't circumvent any *corruption* at all.
    Even a quick Google search points you to all kinds of WoW hacks, bots and explots. So, to mirror what you said to Me2Nik, "Get Real."
    When you compare D2X to WoW in this case It's essentially the same thing. Botted/Duped/Hacks/Whatever don't make anyone in D2X a better player.
    'Nuff said.:smiley:

5. aishilee

aishilee IncGamers Member

coz the fuel price are soaring sky high ~

6. minizx

minizx IncGamers Member

well in my opinion it shouldnt be pay to play for me one of the great appeals of diablo is that its a light mmo that is free, now i dont mind paying for expansion packs once every 6 months but paying 15 pounds a month would just make me feel abliged to cut all ties with the real world to make sure i got my moneys worth. As for wow not having hackers etc thats obsured and on top of that dont forget about the chineese sweat shops paying children 5p a week to play wow so that some online gold shops can make stupid amounts of money selling all this to people that have far too much money than sense

7. coldsong

well if 15 dollars a month for a supported game will make you abandon your life, then oh well. maybe they will make unsupported servers (open bnet) that are free :]

8. coldsong

umm no. you CANT survive in D2 and be on par with non-legit people if you are legit. Of course that doesnt matter if you only play priv games with friends, which is fine. Dont tell me that as legit player you will have every top end item that dupers/hackers can make/buy. And im not even touching on dirty stuff like chickenhack in hc/ TPPK hack.
    In WoW none of that exists. There is no such thing as hack in WoW, the ads you see are to scam noobs out of money. There was a speed hack for a short while and everyone reported with it was IMMEDIATELY banned.
    And you cant get gear with gold botting. Gold is only for enchant/gems, etc, at best you can craft a subpar weapon with enough mats (even then for top end crafteables you need to run heroic 5mans, booyah).
    In conclusion, get real. you cant compare anti-hacking measures in wow vs d2.... lol.

9. Me2NiK

Me2NiK IncGamers Member

You invest enough time in the game and you will be just as potent as the illegit players. The fact is everything they're fabricating is legitimately possible to obtain, it just takes more time to do so. TPPKing is easily counterable without chicken - this coming from a longtime hardcore player - simply by being alert and having enough resistances to take the hit should a situation arise.
    What kind of hacks are there in Diablo 2, then? Much like WoW, cheats in Diablo 2 are merely timesaving devices - Maphack reveals the map for you, botting... plays the game for you, tppk hacks do what the game already allows you to do only faster (please do not misconstrude this as me supporting hacks as I have never used one in my life - I consider the game easy enough as it is - I'm just stating a fact)...
    Let's compare to the hacks that are currently and readily available in WoW. Well, there's afk battleground bots, gold farming bots (which have thoroughly destroyed the game's economy), [insert important function here] bots... Seems they're doing the same thing. I am no expert economist but I can tell you this. An economy is ultimately based on its raw materials (in this case, crafting mats, particularly and most consistently mats required for enchanting and alchemy due to them being the most enduring professions), this is evident in the impact that the oil shortage has had upon the real-world economy. When the price of the raw materials goes down due to a readily-available and infinite supply in the form of bots, the non-botting players must drive down their prices in a reactionary manner to stay in business, meaning the average player has functionally less gold to deal with. As Blizzard ultimately determines the value of their currency (See: the gold standard) this means that all non-botting players become less independently wealthy de facto, meaning new players will have a significantly harder time affording non-AHable commodities and gathering professions will work at a loss until the economy innevitably rebounds and everything becomes so expensive that alchemists and enchanters won't be able to afford to work without charging ludicrous prices that the would-be customers can't afford due to their mats selling like crap because bots have driven down their price. Doesn't affect anything? Please.

10. coldsong

You cant compare gold with items... honestly. Best items in WoW are in 25 man dungeons and in arena. Gold is just for the professions, nothing more. Even if you botted 100 000 gold you wouldnt be worth crap.

If hacking in WoW was as bad as D2 you would see this: entire vengeful gladiator sets and entire T6 BT sets being sold for 20 dollars, or sold for some netherweave cloth stacks.

p.s. and dont forget TFT, another free online game from blizz where maphackers/drophackers havent been banned/fixed for over a year now.

11. Me2NiK

Me2NiK IncGamers Member

What affects one aspect of the economy ultimately affects all aspects of the economy. Enchanting and alchemy are relevant to the endgame and therefore any inflation/deflation of them is relevant to everything.
    The prices of T6 BT sets and 20 dollars is being determined by supply and demand. There are more netherweave cloth stacks than there are BT sets. Therefore, they are prived differently.

12. Master Zap

Master Zap IncGamers Member

I think what's being stated here argues aside is that :

one of D2's appeal is it's free of monthly fees.
    A well supported game shouldn't have to be the exclusive realm of play to play.
    A pay to play game should be bug and hack free , after all thats what your paying for.

The problem I have is the industry suddenly deciding it's fine to release games that aren't finished products and then saying well you better pay up each month if you want to continue playing and to disregard the bugs and hacks that exist. The game producers like the pay to play model since its like selling us another game every couple months. I am not expressly opposed to paying for entertainment.

I long for the days when I could buy a game install it and be good to go. No monthly subscriptions, online play that doesn't have any groundbreaking bugs or cheats. Is this to much to ask for? . Make a game like this and "we'll" gladly purchase this. I bet it would be so successful the game makers can sell us new content periodically if they want to add stuff.

I prefer D3 to be free online. I would only pay for it if I felt it was justified, and by that the game has to be incredible.

I've waited 7 years for d3 and D3 has some serious boots to fill. So if/when it gets released, make sure that it's "done". I dont want to see some buggy hasty game like Hellgate.

13. coldsong

I agree with you, Master Zap, but the reality is that the companies want to pass the cost of continuous product support (updates, battling the hackers, stable servers) on the consumer.

14. rlegend

rlegend IncGamers Member

You cant compare a game that is seven years old (D2X) and that is only four years old with constant expansions(WoW). The time allowed for poeple to create hack programs for diablo 2 is much greater than the time allowed for WoW. That is one of the main reasons u see hacks more on D2X

15. coldsong

dupers destroyed D2 economy in the first year of its existance. Need I remind 330 dmg lances, 120 exec swords, 890 armors with +90 life, 7/7 dual leech rings etc?

16. ChrisF

ChrisF IncGamers Member

Can I just point out that without dupers there would probably be about 10 people on battlenet with a high end runeword. According to atma the best chance to get a Zod Rune is 1/2987183. Lets be honest here, you probably have more chance of winning something substantial on the lottery than getting baal to drop you a Zod. Im not condoning what Hackers/dupers do but they made the high end items affordable. If blizzard are going to give the same odds for certain items to drop in diablo 3 then people are gonna cheat to get them. Im not saying a Zod or Vex should pop out of every other chest but surely when blizzard made runewords like Phoenix or Last Wish they either didnt expect anyone to ever make them or they expected people to dupe the runes. If they make it pay to play how will it be any different? People are getting smarter and smarter and when blizzard makes an anti-dupe programme people will make and anti-anti-dupe programme within a few weeks, maybe sooner.

Just my opinion.

17. coldsong

-better globalID detection, weekly scans to erase all dupes with same globalIDs
    -BOP/BOE system like in WoW

and i agree gear shouldnt be too rare. MFing for top end stuff is just mind numbing.

18. PerfectFifth

PerfectFifth IncGamers Member

Boo. Yeah, make it pay-to-play, and alienate the majority of the d2-playing population.

19. coldsong

you mean the children and the hackers? good.

20. MrCanon

MrCanon IncGamers Member

I'd pay 10$ month ONLY for secure servers.

No new content whatsoever.
    All work should be on removing bots, dupes, exploits, spam, rmt, etc.

Retail expansions every 8-10 months for new content.