Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why can't they see that I'm right?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Steve_Kow, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Why can't they see that I'm right?

Last night I rented out a hall and hosted a rock concert. There were three bands, who all played for free. It was enough for them to play in front of a sizeable crowd.

It cost 5 bucks to get in the door, and we let in as many people as the hall's fire code allowed--nearly 250 customers. At the end of the night, some smart alleck did the math and realized that I had grossed about $1250. Some of the band members then decided that the original deal was unsatisfactory and that they should be entitled to a portion of the take. I refused to amend the deal, as I'm sure they would have in the event the concert was unprofitable and I had asked them to help cover some of my expenses.

In the future, I would be willing to work out a profit sharing agreement, where after my expenses are covered, the bands and I split the rest 80-20. The fact of the matter is, they need me just as much as I need them, so this seems equitable.

What are you thoughts on this?

2. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

I would be in total agreement if the proceeds went to charity or something. But, in this case, you needed them as much as they needed you so I think the bands deserved a cut.

Maybe throw a party for the bands.?

3. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Were they any good? If they sucked, just tell them you needed the costs to repair the damage their bad music did to your hearing.

4. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

In the prep area I had purchased a keg of beer, and nearly 100 dollars worth of booze, and I had some pizzas and hot wings.

Basically...as far as I see it, I was the one who had to pay for the hall, I was the one who had to buy everything, I was the only one who actually stood to lose money, therefore they should stick to the original deal.

5. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

If it was a written contract, they have nothing.
    If it was a verbal agreement, I would give them a little bit to alleviate the tension. But only if you know them and will see them again.

6. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Maybe so, but did they know that this was a "for profit" affair when they made the origional deal? I suspect not.

Let's assume you netted $750 on the event. You paid, what, $200 for the booze and pizzas? They consumed maybe $10 worth each?

Sounds like you got off really cheap. And they aren't thrilled about it.

7. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Then again, the bands had nothing to lose, other than their time. And playing in front of 250 people without having to pay isn't that bad for a band. The only person who could stand to lose money was you.

Steve, how much work did you do organizing the event? Like getting things set up, gas money for driving, calling the bands, the concert hall, all that? Because you deserve to be paid for that much.

8. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

My son is in a band and they spend a good 10 hours a week practicing. That's times 4 people. Does that time count for anything?

9. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

For a starting out band, exposure is everything. The bands at the beginning of their career need places to play.

10. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Steve change your name and just run! I agree that you would have been the person who have taken the hit the most if your concert bit the dust. But when you first planned this, did you expect to make a profit?

11. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

its your money, and just tell them you will work with them in the future and use it then to make things bigger/better.

12. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Of course it counts for something, but maybe not for money. At least, not until people think they are good enough that they will pay to hear your son's band.

The bands made a decision that they'd not get paid for their performance. I'd suppose that they figured the exposure they got would be payment enough. Then they found out that people actually paid to see them, and now they want a cut. I think Steve probably should have agreed to some sort of profit sharing with them, but that agreement never took place. The bands are just kind of screwed. Although, if Steve thinks they are good enough to run a similar event with the same bands, it might be good for him to pass off some of the green.

13. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Sounds like you made a pretty big profit and you should share, even a small bit. Suppose word gets out about your gig. It may be hard for you to get a decent band again. Sure, publicity for a struggling band is good, but so is a bit of cash. I think that was a bit callous of you.

14. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I disagree. He put in his money and they agreed to work for free. He's not obligated for anything.

15. zodiac66

Once word gets around how he operates..he won't find anyone for his gigs. And, word does get around fast.

16. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

I don't believe anyone is arguing about obligations here. It's clearly evident that he doesn't have to pay them anything.

He was asking why the bands couldn't understand why he didn't want to share the loot. We are only suggesting that the fair thing would be to share the profits with those who made the profits possible.

17. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

I'm with Anakhaski.

As far as I would be concerned, Steve is in no way obligated to split the proceeds. Personally, were it me (and they 'found out') I would split the money 4 ways and distribute it between myself and the three bands, but that is just my feelings on the matter. Just because my conscience would demans no less show not mean that Steve should do the same.

Whatever, Steve shouldered the risk in the venture, and should in this case garner the proceeds. However, in the future maybe it will teach the bands to think these things through before they sign-up.

And the exposure the bands got it probably worth a lot more than the $250 they would get from the proceeds.

The question is Steve, are you going to put the proceeds on this year tax returns? ;)

18. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I know, but I was responding to Zody's statement that he was callous. If he's not obligated to do it and they didn't claim it before hand, then it's not callous of him. They just didn't think ahead. That's business.

I think he's right in his first post, though. If he was in the red at the end and asked them to pitch in, they'd probably tell him no.

19. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

steve would make an excellent business person, with his lacking of a heart and all ;)

anywho.. since there was no profit splitting mentioned in your deal.. i don't see the problem, this is the way it should be

20. zodiac66

Maybe I am just a compassionate female :). No matter what the agreement was, I would have given them a little something.