Why can't people understand the difference between forums and instant messenger?

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
Grammar Police, oh noes!

Really, does it matter how kids type? Who cares if they want to be 1337? If you can't understand it, it probably wasn't intended for you anyhow.

Content > Form

Garbad

Madness

Diabloii.Net Member
But sometimes the form makes the content unreadable, when it would've been worthwhile otherwise.

Garbad_the_Weak

Diabloii.Net Member
That will be stamped out on its own. If no one can understand a post, eventually the poster will catch on and adapt. Besides, I think almost everyone can understand a post, it just irritates their sense of gramatical propriety or whatever.

So the issue is if people have a duty not to irritate people with their posting style. I say they don't.

Garbad

toader

Banned
Actually...if there are no periods, its very hard to understand at all. All caps, thats understandable (if punctuated) but just annoying as hell.

wut r u ppl talken about i dun think i haf 2 care wut i post like lol its not like this is skool or sumthin geez ppl y cant u just chill and stop being so mean lol

*shoots self*

SuggestiveName

Diabloii.Net Member
ppl who post in l4mer gud grammer r tottaly elitest. they thnk they r bettar then every other persen hear but thay r stupid elit3st mor0nz.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Wooo, a proper grammar thread. Or was I supposed to misspell grammar and then have someone catch me on it, and then I say it was a joke? It actually takes me longer to write "u" instead of "you" and "ur" instead of "your" because I'm just used to it. I think typing speed might have something to do with it.

On AIM, I don't capitalize the first word of each message, nor do I use periods. That's because each message is a sentence. However, I do capitalize my proper nouns and the like, and I use exclamation points and question marks. I'm glad I don't play games online where people use all kinds of shorthand and number substitution. I think I'd go crazy, or at least get a headahce.

Necrolestes

Diabloii.Net Member
Syntactical error

I suppose I'll have to cut back the ubiquitous use of the ellipsis. Aesthically pleasing, perhaps, but the way I use it is a definite syntax error.

Then again...why change now?