Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why can't people understand the difference between forums and instant messenger?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DrunkCajun, Apr 1, 2005.

1. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Why can't people understand the difference between forums and instant messenger?

There is honestly nothing that makes me more disgusted, less likely to take someone seriously, and more irritated in general with someone when they can't take the time to type out a proper response in a forum. I'm not picking on anyone in particular, but it really annoys the hell out of me when someone can't take the two extra seconds it takes to type "someone," "because" or even "cause," or for that matter use a comma, period, or perhaps even capitalization once in a while.

While I can understand why it might be useful for instant messaging (though it still drives me up the wall over instant messenger--text messaging is the only time you'll see me doing it), what point does it really serve on a forum or in an email besides to make you look less intelligent, and make it look like you don't care enough about what you're saying and who you're saying it to to take the time to say it intelligently?

Bah, sorry for the rant.

2. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

Sorry man, i'll try do better from now on. :D

3. Spawn of God

Spawn of God IncGamers Member

yea yea, just keep victimizing me DrunkCajun. <===theres ur period for u

4. Freemason

Freemason Banned

lol
    wtf r u whining about?
    BBL, afk.

5. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Hey now, I wasn't picking on you in particular. I mentioned it to you once, and at least to me it seemed like your subsequent posts were at least free of typos, which I appreciate. I'm just kinda curious as to why it is that some people in particular seem to refuse to want to articulate themselves.

I mean, its clearly one thing if, for example, English isn't their first language. I know my writing skills in Spanish are atrocious, even though I'm a fluent speaker.

At any rate, sorry if you felt like I'm targetting you, Spawn, I'm not. My apologies.

6. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

Hereby concluding that men can ***** just as much as women

7. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

*takes bow*

8. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

u wish u wer teh l337 sp3113r lik m3.

*english language implodes*

9. Gorny

Gorny Banned

DC said he was not picking on anyone in particular, and for that matter, alot of people do post in that manner. Then they get upset and/or flame when other people here point out bad posting habits, etc,..

If you look around the forums, you will notice my point...

Posts written like they are on AIM or something are harder to read, and annoying to the reader, not to mention that they make the writer look immature and childish sometimes.

I admit that sometimes English may not be the primary language being used for some but this is not the case for all.

Last point : One of the people that I had to remove from the Community Forum in the past had terrible grammar and this persons posts were a complete mess. Not that this was an offense worth a ban, but the person was 21 years old and there were also some other issues along the third party program sense that I was going to ban for. In one PM to him, I commented on his posting habits.... He said that he could use correct grammar, etc,. when he wanted to, but just did not feel like it.......

10. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

What difference does it make? If you can't read it, skip it. If people want you to listen to them, they will adjust. If not, no loss on either side.

Garbad

11. g00tch

g00tch IncGamers Member

Ironically, I talk normally on AIM also. I just can't bring myself to substitute "u" for "you" and other things like that. It's the same way when I text message the girlfriend. She asked my why I don't abbreviate my words and that it's a lot quicker that way. I just told her that it takes more thought for me to abbreviate what I'm saying than it does to type out the actual word. I'm with you DC! :D

12. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Although poor grammar and excessive use of abbreviations can irritate me sometimes, I've had to learn to tolerate it - especially when it comes to electronic communication (Instant messenger programs, message boards and such).

As long as I can understand what a person is trying to say, it's fine with me. My own posts are hardly a pristine example of spelling/usage/mechanical excellence so who am I to judge?!

13. toader

toader Banned

Actually dude, that's 'you' not 'u' and it's 'there's' not 'theres' and it's 'your' not 'ur'. And you didnt put a period on your last sentence.

:lol:

14. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

The word 'Ur' is actually an ancient Mesopotamian city, somewhat over 6000 years back in history. So, when someone uses the word 'ur' like this:

"Dude, ur an idiot." it's like using the name of a city instead of the word 'your'.
    Makes no sense. It's like saying

"Dude, Boston an idiot."

Yeah...
    Anyway, I agree with DC, but I've learned to ignore such nonsense. People that can't take the time to think out their replies are their own problem, not mine.

15. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

I never understood this type of behavior as well. If anybody is in such a rush to do something then perhaps they should slow down a bit to focus more on what they're doing? Unless you type 5 words per minute you don't have an excuse to appear ignorant in a forum discussion board.

16. ShadyPhoenix

ShadyPhoenix IncGamers Member

I eschew capitalization on AIM only, and I generally don't use ending punctuation.

Why?

On Instant Messengers, it's extremely easy to tell when a new thought begins and ends, whereas it's not so easy to tell on a message board when you see nothing but a garbled paragraph devoid of anything resembling proper grammar.

Honestly, as long as you can understand what they're trying to say, there's no need to whine about it.

And for the record, ending sentences in prepositions is cool.

17. Spawn of God

Spawn of God IncGamers Member

i cant believe this...

18. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

(On The Phone)

19. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I feel like I should comment on this, but I really don't have anything to say about it, even though I should I suppose.

Anyhoo, make Ash a pal for 3 months and he'll use proper punctuation (to the best of his abilities) LIMITED TIME OFFER!! VOID IN TENNESSEE.

20. Johnny6

Johnny6 IncGamers Member

I can make a booger talk!