Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why Can't Infinity break Cold immune?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by razen, Feb 2, 2008.

1. razen

razen IncGamers Member

Why Can't Infinity break Cold immune?

I think i saw a discussion before about how infinity only helps lightening sorcs.

and i understand the -40+ resist to lightening. however, at level 12 conviction, couldn't it break cold immune too? how come its only effective for breaking lightening immune?

(just found a eth colossus voulge, trying to decide whether to infinity it or just insight it)

2. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Re: Why Can't Infinity break Cold immune?

Conviction only works at 1/5 effectiveness against immunes. Cold immunes usually have much higher cold resists than light immunes have light resists, meaning that even after Conviction is applied, cold immunes' cold resists are still above 100%.

3. razen

razen IncGamers Member

i see, so the inifinity -40 resist is just what's needed to bring the lightening immune down below 100%

i don't know how the game works, but is the following senario possible?

conviction breaks immune, then let cold mastery bring it below 100%?

4. sirmessbu

sirmessbu IncGamers Member

-resist stats on gear, may it be the bonus on infinity or on any facet, does not help in any way to break a monster immunity. Those only take effect once a monster immunity as been broken.

There are only 2 skill/spell that can break monster elemental immunity.

Conviction and Lower resist.

Most monster that are immune to lightning simply have lower resistance then monster immune to other elements.

Example a Lightning immune monster have 110% resist and a cold monster have 160% resist, now thats why the light immune gets broken and not the cold immune. (those were fictive numbers to easily demonstrate it)

5. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Where are you getting -40% resist from?
    Infinity has level 12 Conviction (-85%) resist. Against immunes, it works at 1/5 effectiveness, so -17% resists against immunes. This means that any immune with a resist 116% or lower will have its immunity broken by Infinity. If it is 117% or higher, it remains immune.

Cold Mastery cannot break cold immunes. However, the -% cold resist from Cold Mastery will apply normally *after* the cold immunity is broken by something else. If the cold immunity is not broken, the -% cold resist from Cold Mastery will have no effect.

6. UrbanHeroics

UrbanHeroics IncGamers Member

He is probably talking about the added mod on the infinity that has - to enemy lightning resistance. That - to enemy res only takes place AFTER the immunity is broken. Also, if your merc is carrying the infinity, then the - to enemy resists does not help you. If you carry it, you will get the benefits, but not if the merc carries it.

7. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Not only does Cold Mastery not break cold immunes, it does not affect them at all.* The Conviction aura would have to bring the resist level down to 99% or lower for Cold Mastery to have any affect at all.Cold immunes are given higher resists for the very purpose that Conviction cannot break them, otherwise the CM/Con combo would be over powered.
    No, cold immunity means having cold resist at least 100%. And, conviction cannnot break immunes (bring below 100%), and CM cannot affect cold immunes (those at 100% or higher).

Question: If my merc holds an infinity and we are fighting a 110% lightning resist, will the effective (for me) resist be 69%? It takes 55% of the conviction to bring the immune down to 99%, and then the other 30% brings the immunity down to 69%? And then the effective resist for the merc will be 29% due the -res on the weapon?

Question2: If we fight a 120% lightning resist, neither I nor my merc will be able to hurt it, even though the merc has an additional -40% from the weapon?

8. stfrn

stfrn IncGamers Member

Against an immunity, conviction is completely 1/5, it doesn't bring it down to 99% first. If it does break the immunity, normal -resistance (like for the weilder of infinity, or cold mastery) can lower the resistance to a point where you do more damage.

If conviciton and/or lower resistance cannot bring the reistance below 100%, nothing else will matter.

9. Raztax

Raztax IncGamers Member

If I had the runes to make infinity, I think I would have to build a lit sorc just to use one.

10. ScottyDsntKnow

ScottyDsntKnow IncGamers Member

It also works with fire immunes apparently which is good since I went primarily fire with my new sorc build lol.