Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why are trappers SO hated?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by nSin, Apr 5, 2004.

1. nSin

nSin IncGamers Member

Why are trappers SO hated?

Hey everyone,

Was a lot on this assasin forum in the beginning of the 1.10 patch,. made like 7 assasins in the beginning of ladder, and always had great fun with them. In 1.09, I had a dclawer and a trapper, assasins always have been my favorite class. After that I decided to try out some other classes so my attention went to other sub boards.

In that time I was finallly able to get a little wealthier and get enigma, hoto and a shako arachnid, pretty much standard equipment for hammerdins, however, I missed my assasins so much that I decided to remake my first assasin, my lightning trapper.

I started here this friday and luckily I had an easy time leveling here, when I just entered nightmare I joined some pubby dueling games, most of them were necros, or paladins, always had a hard time with them but most of the time my experience gained the upper hand. A phrase I heard a lot in this period was "Gah Trappers suck you newbz0r lam0r" *player saves and exits*, or "mb is so lame" " trappers suck" seriously, I hear it constantly.

I should note that I never nk, neer gold steal unless someone does it with me and dont jump on people without saying "go" or "rdy".

Now I duel in hell and joined a game called "team duelz", while I havent even done anything yet a Bliz Sorc says, "lets **** the trapper cause I hate trappers" apparently they were all friends and a bone necro, a bliz sorc, and a pally wich build I wasnt quite sure off but he seemed to use salvation as his main aura all teamed up against me. They all had enigma's shako's, all the gear i used to dream about. I didnt quite get why they were all against me but i took the challenge and had some fun duels, I didnt die because I played relativly defensive, and managed to kill all 3 of them for several rounds, and they just kept on swearing about how trappers suck and how lame mb is, start to townguard and whatnot either way, it's getting a bit offtopic now

When you go to the PvP and you ask for the top 5 builds, it'll be something like "1 necro 2 hammerdin 3 fohadin 4 wind druid 5 trapper/bliz sorc/fire sorc". While obviously a trapper is not the best class to duel with, how come SO many people hate this subclass, it's not as overpowered as many other builds are, yet, some people (and I noticed this a LOt with my old trapper) seme to want to nk me just because I'm a trapper.. how weird is that?

I've never noticed this with my bone necro, ww sin, hammerdin, javazon, bowazon or wind druid (yea dont play sorcs), so really, am I just seeing things, or are there just a lot off people who hold a grudge against one of my favorite subclasses?

~Naz

2. Strider_pt

Strider_pt IncGamers Member

Honestly I dont see the problem with Trapsins. They are just like any other class. Some people i would imagine get mad because some trappers neglect to remove traps after dueling someone and that person gets nked. But I mean, theres really no problem with trapsins from my point of view. All i do is strap on my guardian angel and tgods and go outside. Thats all any reasonable person has to do. Totally negates traps(though some trapsins might find that annoying). There is no need for hurtful words. Just my opinion here.

3. bronzdragon5545

bronzdragon5545 IncGamers Member

people hate what they cant beat and sence wisp rings are to hard to get (for them) they name call and team up on u. and they hate use becuz they see what were doing as droping traps and running around like a school kid. so they get beat like a small dog and cry about it. plus a few dips when and made every1 else look bad by nking and gold taking ect. if u want past this join a pk clan with rules that stop the bull****

theres my 2cents

4. Lithan

Lithan IncGamers Member

People dislike pvp trappers for two reasons.

1. They are one of the two classes that require the least skill to duel with. And in fact can win most duels without moving (assuming the other player doesnt have loads of light absorb). Mindblast + traps is extremely overpowered and is a matter of class imbalance, not skill. Trappers apparently don't realize this and are infamous for bragging after they kill someone who didn't even get to move after the first MB hit them.

2. Trappers are to pvp what hammerdins are to pvm. Overpowered, imbalanced and extremely easy to play. (I have about a dozen different builds pushing 90 and my 74 hammerdin solos hell better than any of them (or did before I turned him into a mule).) Because of this, they attract the 11 year old crowd who likes to townguard/trap Tp's of people who are pvm'ing/aggro people in their group in a pvm game and just start killing them, then brag about their "[email protected] Sk33LZ". In short, most pvp trappers in public games are pricks. I don't duel much but in about 50% of the dueling games I've been in, a trapper has come in and just started pissing everyone off.

5. 7-up

7-up IncGamers Member

I too, like the assains class. I feel that the team u went up against just wanted to kill you because they thought it would be fun because they were all friends. They probally thought that they could take you on. When you killed all 3 of them they got mad and felt that the only way they could beat u was gonna be by talkin smack. :rant: This is just my opinion though...

6. nSin

nSin IncGamers Member

I see, and allthough I certainly dont think that trappers are underpowred, look at wind druids for instance, 4k unblockable damage with a 2k aura around them, they teleport on you, you'rre pretty much screwed. Or a necro, 6k bone spirit damage wich finds its target itsselve. Or bone spear around 5 k unblockable unresistable damage that travels as fast as a fireball, seriously, isnt that overpowered? Same counts for a hammerdin in pvp, as soon as they have enigma, tele on you + one hammer you're pretty much that. I wont even start about fohadins

I really beg to differ about assasins being overpowred in pvp if you compare it to some of the more populair classes, however, I do see our point about mb and stunlock, allthough I do think that it's their own fault that they dont have max resist + decent fhr, I mean, that should be one of the requirements for pvp.

Thanks for the replies

~Naz

7. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

they are kind of mindless, they don't require skill, but it helps to have it still

they also have a town hugger reputation

8. StrikexForce

StrikexForce IncGamers Member

people you dont even have to aim

9. skilledlord

skilledlord IncGamers Member

ur true about wind druids and such. however, not everyone can afford a enigma to tele and charges are too expensive. therefore, tornado is very inaccurate/short ranged. bonespirits are awfully slow and bonespear is fast but u still have to aim. traps on the other hand, u just put them on the floor, and they aim for u. it may not be autotarget like GA or bonespirit, but it hits wherever the player is at and is hard to dodge it. also traps are unblockable
    too.(idink)
    also u don't have to be rich to make a pretty good trapsin. they are long ranged and can easily reach past 2k dam each. multiply tat by five, and u get ur answer y lots of ppl don't really like trapsins.

10. Lunatic

Lunatic IncGamers Member

I don't feel like typing that much , the person above me explained it all already. :p

11. weylun

weylun IncGamers Member

Trappers are indeed very powerful but if the opponent can get enough Lightning resist and absorb, you are dead. Do I think absorb is cheap? No. Because we trappers laugh when we duel (especially against the melee type), and maybe it's time for other people to get a laugh too lol. I built a lvl 89 trapper on the ladder and she is STRONG.

My point is Mind Blast and Traps are skills designed for Assassin and if they don't like them, don't duel them. As simple as that. A charge pally with good lightning absorb can own Trappers. Do I complain? No. Because I can own a Zealer Pally.

The thing is there are some builds you can own and some builds you can't.

Hammerdin is very powerful against the melee but it's so easy to beat with trappers. People say when you teleport your traps disappear, geeze, I would like to know who spread out the rumors like that!!! It never happens to me. The traps are still there hurting them while I teleport. lol

The truth is every class now has very powerful dueling skill:
    Pally: Fist of Heaven, Hammerdin, Charge
    Zon: Guided Arrow
    Barbarian: WW and Concentration
    Sorc: focus on one type of element
    Assassin: Traps (or maybe WW)
    Druid: Windwalker
    Necro: Boner

So, Assassins are not cheap. They are just Assassins... they will find cheap way to kill. Fast and NASTY!! lol Come on, what can you expect from an Assassin? Tp duel legit like a Holy Pally? lol

Jimmy

12. DragonKnight_Aka

DragonKnight_Aka IncGamers Member

l'll do this in 2 ways.

1. For trapsin that sit thier and townguard people and say ur noob when they kill u and nk. I really hate that. When I get some friends in the game we kill that @$$h0Le I have listen to someone cry and complaint about it being 5 vs 1 when he was the person that townguarding and nking people .

2. For trapsins that duel fair aren't too hard for me. I mean I beated trapsin fairly that teleport and I don't even have teleport. I don't hate trapsin cuz in 1.09 I had 1 myself. But then 2 types of duelers thier the smarts who plan and make sure and rebuild their chars and test them out to be good at dueling. Then u got the duelers who see 1 char kicking @$$ and they make that char then they duel a trapsin or ( some other char) and lose agianst them because they don't have any idea what in the world they are doing. And cry about how *** mindblast and traps are

13. eclipsedk

eclipsedk IncGamers Member

1) The average person on battle.net dislikes trappers alot since they can be played by anyone who knows how to assign skill keys. They can have 'super' high damage, which auto-aims and is unblockable to all classes but one, dual claw.

2) Personally I don't have much leftover for all those people saying 'My trapper/FoH-pala/Hammerdin/bonemancer 4r3 t3h G00000000dly', since once you have learned how to duel each classes they really aren't that hard, sure they are harder than the average but not overly hard.

It all comes down on how you play vs. trappers etc., if you charge like a mad man on a trapper you're as good as dead, but play it tacticly and you'll stand quite good chances.

3) From my personal experiences with trappers they aren't such lamers if you play with decent people that duels in an oderly manner with 'go/rdy' and no townshooting/nk'ing.

14. The_Sickness_101

The_Sickness_101 IncGamers Member

I'll tell you why I hate 'em. First off I play pubbies, which has a lot to do with my argument. They just stand around and lay traps and say, "Come and get me." If you lose, here comes the 5 traps at the entrance of town and mass nking. With mb it takes about, well, no talent to beat most people in pubbies. Sure I can stack res as a pally, but still I have lost respect for this whole class. The tging is annoying. The cheapness is no fun. I"m not saying every trapsin nks and tgs but 99.9% of pubby ones I meet do.

15. nSin

nSin IncGamers Member

I see your point, but that is the person, not the character.. lets say a a hammerdin kills you, he can go tg, stand there, and keep all players from going to blood moor, same counts for fohadins, and wind druids. That a player kills , and then starts tg+nking doesnt really have anything to do with the character I'd say.

Allthough, on the other hand, trappers, together with bliz sorcs, hydra sorcs, and meteor sorcs are very suited for tging.

16. yhlge

yhlge IncGamers Member

A few people are mannerless doesn't mean all of them are mannerless!!!!

17. weylun

weylun IncGamers Member

If people hate trappers, then I guess I should start a thread "Why Sorc are so hated!!"

I hate Sorc. Plain and simple. I got pk by so many fire sorc when I first start playing on the ladder. They just teleported in front of me and BANG, one/two fireball and I am dead. I wasn't even ready to fight them but they always pk me in a place where I can't catch up with them ...like the act 2 Arcane place. I was a trapper and I can't teleport!! lol

Actually, I don't think you need tons of "skills" to duel in Diablo. Equipment and Skill Distribution matter 80% of the dueling success and 15% for each class you use and 5% skill. But that 5% skill is for those who knows the strength and weakness of the other class. If you know how the other class function, you should be fine as long as you have good skill distribution and equipment.

If you are a melee class, there's NO WAY you can beat a good Bone Necro. NO WAY. You can't even scratch them. lol Well, this is my point. Skill and Equipment matter the most. Traps are cheap but hey, that's what Assassins are for!!!

Jimmy

18. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

Hey weylun, I haven't seen you in awhile...glad to see ya back...I only lurk here mostly, soaking up the valued info.

If I ever venture into B-net, I'd start with a trapper since they're easy to do untwinked, etc. maybe Fishymancer is second choice.

Do people lump hybrids into this category? Traps/MB = loser even if you get killed by a flurry of kicks.

19. Shadow752

Shadow752 IncGamers Member

`

Realistically speaking, almost no character takes skill to play.... All anyone has to do on D2 is simply click and run around. Like someone said before me it's about 5% skill. Now, most trappers are hated, because the majority of trappers are just ill-mannered, illiterate, imature fools. This happens because the trapper is one of the most powerful dueling classes now, so all the imature people make them so they can satisfy their compulsive need to be "1337" and dominate. However, there are still good nice trappers like me :D

20. squigipapa

squigipapa IncGamers Member

I totally agree with Shadow here. It's not the trappers that are hated it's the people that play them. Not all the people of course, but a lot! Basically, they're really powerful, and can be built with very little 'top end' gear. So any kid that wants to 'own' others in duel's checks the message boards etc. or gets owned in a duel by a trapper, and then decides to build one so he can 'own' anyone.

I mean, look at it this way, if there were no d2 fan sites, no strategy guides etc, and the only trappers in duels were the people that simply loved the class, and made one because of that, I think you'd see a lot more 'nice' trappers out there.