Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why are they doing this?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by {KOW}Spazed, Apr 19, 2005.

1. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Why are they doing this?

Microsoft launched a four-month marketing campaign when Windows XP was initially launched nearly four years ago, but this new campaign is much larger. The new 11-country campaign includes 51 TV ads, 39 print ads, 250 online ads, and has 13 themes including cooking, education, entertainment, family and photography

Basically we get to 'enjoy' 15 months of Microsoft propaganda on Longhorn. I call it propaganda because most people don't really care. They upgrade when the new thing comes out or stay with what they have. Commercials for the OS aren't really going to effect sales. Businesses almost always upgrade unless there is a must have app that won't run on the new system and home users upgrade when their system gets slow/breaks. Geeks get it to say they have the latest and 'greatest' while gamers get it to keep on playing.

Why exactly are they doing this now? When you have 90%+ market share aren't you exempt from advertising for all practical purposes. Its not like someone who doesn't own a computer is going to run out and buy one just to have Longhorn.

2. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

It makes perfect sense. They have a new product coming out. They want everyone to know about it. Thus, more advertising.

That's why they were advertising MSN search. They want to take over the market that google dominates.

3. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I disagree entirely. Businesses usually only upgrade when they have to. No point in incurring more expenses when it's unnecessary. And I'm willing to bet that Microsoft's sales and advertising analysts have a pretty good idea about how much their ads influence sales.

4. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

No, no im pretty sure a 16 year old knows better....

5. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Yeah, come on Jonesy. Its not like they pay multiple mathematicians and statisticians to figure out some probablity curves or algorithms and its not like they have past experience to compare it to.

6. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I know they have people that do it for a living, but really think about it. How many people do you meet on any given day really actually care about the latest OS from Microsoft? This is in real life only, geeks drift toward the internet.

In my day to day life I haven't met too many.

7. KillJoyBob

KillJoyBob IncGamers Member

Linux is starting to eat into their market share, both in the private and business sectors.

8. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

Maybe that's why.

9. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

They haven't had a headline-grabbing product in years. And recently news stories talking about Longhorn invariably mention how much longer it's taking to get made than originally planned, and all the features that are being cut from it to speed up the process.

They need good press. They're trying to buy it. Can't let Apple/Adobe/Macromedia/Linux get all the ink!

10. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

You have to understand Microsoft's position. For the sake of simplicity (ie without in any way discounting the various 'nix OS's) Windows is to computers what VHS is to video. Beta is a far, far superior format and is still in use today in professional circles. The problem Beta had is poor marketing and they could not compete with the marketing of the inferior VHS product. Same goes with computers. Windoze is an inferior product with a HUGE marketing campaign, on all levels, whereas MacOS is a superior product with NO marketing whatsoever.

11. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Its called a loyal fanbase. Like Trekkies.

12. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

When I can run 55 programs at the same time with no noticeable slowdown on a laptop running OS X. Or install the latest OS on 12 year old hardware and have it run smoothly. I am inclined to say that OS X is a far superior OS to XP.

Not to mention Trekkies are getting less common while OS X is gaining market share. . .

Durf has it right, Microsoft is trying to dilute the bad press Longhorn is getting. It is down to 1/4 the original features list and the ones that are still on there have been out on other OS for years.

When Microsoft comes along with a product that can change the way I use my computer on a daily basis(Note: This needs to be a positive change from my viewpoint) then I will switch back over. Until then Apple with their neXTSTEP derivatives gets all my money.

13. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

I was commenting on who they are making profit without marketing. Its called loyal fanbase and word of mouth.

And never underestimate trekkies.......:lol:

14. DurfBarian

Live long and prosper, Earthling!

15. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Doesn't anyone recall the whole "switch" campaign they had? They spent $75 million on it.

16. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

To me, this just reads as sour grapes. Sorry Kow, but that's what it seems like.

17. DurfBarian

More like sour Tribbles, Earthling!

18. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I am mad that they are going to be advertising MORE than they already are. I see 10-15 Windows XP commercials/billboards/radio commercials everyday. I don't even watch that much T.V. This is a serious ramp up in advertising and I really don't want to see a Microsoft ad every other commercial for the next 15 months. It's getting to be ridiculous.

I still don't feel they need to do any advertising at all. They have so much of the market share it doesn't matter.

19. Chynobi

Chynobi IncGamers Member

Thankfully over here [UK] Microsoft have only just started to advertise with MSN Search. Before that I can't say to ever seing a microsoft advert apart from in PC mags.

20. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

You lucky lucky man. Kansas City is a test zone for everything, to see how well it will go over in the midwest. We get new pop flavors, advertising, stores, even the occasional new T.V. show that's "Specially broadcast just for you!"