Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why are there no clans?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by PrimeEvil, Jun 28, 2009.

1. PrimeEvil

PrimeEvil Diabloii.Net Member

Why are there no clans?

Why on east hardcore are there no clans? Sure there are loose groups and a few channels, but there are still risks in those.

Wouldn't a clan be the safest way to go? Playing in private games with clan members would seem safer and more fun than risking it in a public game.

Is it because there are not enough people playing hardcore or just not enough interest in clans on hardcore?

Just a passing thought while I was contemplating on making my own clan for the reset.

2. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: Why are there no clans?

The Amazon Basin is as close to a real safe clan as you can get.

During lockdown/stasis the xbananax channel turned into a bit of a clan and it really started to die/suffer/deadhorse after a while.

Right now the path of least resistance is just having the channel open and having folks use their brain to figure out who is going to tppk them or be their best Hardcore buddy. That's why there isn't really any sort of clans for what you're looking for.

3. CarsV

CarsV Banned

Clans are for the weak.

4. Krazeyivan

Krazeyivan Diabloii.Net Member

Unless you were born in the year 1518 in the village of Glenfinnan on the shores of Loch Shiel. and you have conflict with the Clan Fraser.

PS - Avoid Kurgans

:)

5. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce Diabloii.Net Member

Clan's require work. You have to maintain websites and channels. You have to organize events, keep people interested, and polices things. You have to be interested enough in the game to do these things (not many are these days). Also, you have to have enough people interested in joining, and there aren't that many these days.

-hps

6. dyolf

dyolf Diabloii.Net Member

There was once a discussion in the gauss channel to change it into a clan. We decided against it, because a clan normally has tighter policies than a channel and also you can't be in more than one clan. For these two reasons, changing our safe channel into a clan would mean losing or missing a lot of people.
    For the gauss channel the concept of having very few general rules (and people using common sense) coupled with distributed op rights works quite well. Of course someone has to keep the thing running, but it's important that a channel (or a clan) can keep working for extended periods even if some ops are too busy or simply want a break.

Floyd

7. oOmpie

oOmpie Diabloii.Net Member

Still, what good is a clan to you if there can be only one? :girly:

8. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ Diabloii.Net Member

Basically there's no reason to have a clan in D2. There's nothing you can do in a clan that you can't do with friends so why bother. Besides clans would only offer a false sense of security; just because a guy is tagged like you doesn't mean he's not going to PK you.

9. MoUsE_WiZ

There can be many people in the clan Macleod, they don't all need to be immortal. Actually I'm pretty sure they seemed to prefer that no one be immortal. Duh.

10. PrimeEvil

I disagree with this. I mean yes, if you go and recruit anyone and everyone, you will get a PKer; however, if you are careful with your selection the chances of a pker sharply decline.

And even if a clan member did pk-he'd only pk one character and then be kicked forever. So even if there was a pker or two in the clan, they'd get weeded out quickly.

As to having no reason for a clan, there are plenty of reasons. Would you rather rush a random person you won't talk to again or a clan member? Would you rather do a few tomb runs/enchant games for a random person you see in a channel---or a clan member? A clan, in a way, forces people to be friends which is a good thing for everyone involved.

11. MoUsE_WiZ

Equally applies in non-clan situations... the less careful you are about who you play with the more likely you are to end up dead.

Again, it equally only takes someone killing one person you know before you're aware they're a PK. Actually it usually takes them killing zero people before you've got a good idea about it, but after 1 person it's there in black and white.

I don't make friends with people who beg for chant/rush/etc ~_~

12. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Clans take a lot of work and effort to keep running. Iv'e run a clan for the last 8- 9 years now but it has finally disapaited at long last and I am probably the last acting member of OFC - Old Farts Clan. We started with Diablo and then went to Diablo 2, Nwn , Nwn2 , and a few other games. Games get old , people want somthing else eventually, and real life usually plays a big part into clans. When I was 23 I had a lot more time to game and F off than I do now that I'm 38.

When we were up and running we had about 20 - 25 active members and its a big chore just to get people to commit to gaming times. Getting people to to commit to a certain game for many years is a chore as well. People eventually lose interest and move along. Clans can be fun but are not really needed in the long run.

And here's the latest version of my clans website , it sucks now because my ISP raped me and dis-allowed the use of custom website software and they now use a Myface style of formatting. I wouldnt want to join a clan with this ****ty website either ... LOL...

http://home.rr.com/oldfarts

13. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce Diabloii.Net Member

If you feel this strongly about it, you could always go ahead and start a clan! :yes:

-hps

14. Dahkar

Dahkar Diabloii.Net Member

Chant/Rush mousey?

15. dyolf

dyolf Diabloii.Net Member

Having a community (not necessarily a clan) of course is a nice thing. You can meet people you already know and spice it up with the nice guy you meet in a public game while starting a new character.

The reasons why there are few communities are manyfold:
    • Most gamers just want to have a nice community but few are willing to contribute anything, or even dedicate a bit of time for non-fun stuff. You will
    • Building and maintaining a community really is quite a bit of work, and if your primary interest is playing the game you will soon get tired of it and the community will die.
    • You have to get a lot of things right to foster a community:
      • You need a reliable channel with a good bot software and someone to maintain and tweak all those scripts. Also, the bot must run 24/7. Reliability is important, or people will just go away. In my opinion that rules out running the bot on a private PC because you will get tired of keeping it running all the time.
      • You need a good team of co-ops to help enforce the rules and add, unban etc. new members. This is crucial: if you have to do all housekeeping yourself, you will get tired of it.
      • If the channel grows, you will want a private forum for internal talk, to promote community.

Running a good community is really fun, and you meet a lot of nice people. But it needs dedication and really can't be done by one person alone in the long term. Just my 2ct.

Floyd

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  16. PrimeEvil

I have been mulling over this idea. I have been weighing the pros and cons for a while and have found the benefits outweigh any hassle.

I will be getting things together in the next few days (website, vent, and hopefully co-leaders) and come back with more information for anyone that is possibly interested. :thumbup:

17. Tai.

Tai. Diabloii.Net Member

Best of luck with it.

We used to get a lot of people asking us to join Banana/CTA back when I played actively. They would assume we were a clan and act accordingly so there may well be people out there who are interested - though the majority of these people were asking b/c they would look at the ladder and see 11 out of 20 spots starting with CTA, so you might need to organize some sort of display of skill/commitment before you get something other than people new to the game looking for friends.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with these people joining you, but casual friendly gamers such as these tend to lead me in the direction of a channel rather than a clan. For a clan to function I feel you need to have a highly devoted membership. People need to be active enough that your channel is not dead year-round, as you need to be careful in your admittance process. Because of this caution, your clan's size will not grow too quickly and you will usually have 2-3 members online at a time.

The reason for caution is that if you are constantly admitting new members with minimal effort people will get used to this and your members will implicitly trust anyone with your "tag". This is where things usually start to falter, so I tend to try and avoid it.

I've been in several Diablo 2 clans over the years, in fact it's how I met some of the best people I've encountered on Diablo 2. It was much more enjoyable to have a small group that knew and trusted each other than anything else and eventually this idea developed into a community rather than a channel.

There was some talk after the creation of the Banana channel, when the original ladder runners had brought some friends into the fold, of consolidating into a clan-esque format. The talk didn't last long and I'm certain we made the right choice. At the end of the day I'm more apt to play with the folks here I've known for years, but having a community to support that is invaluable. It gives the introductory options to a new gamer that a clan would with less maintenance and without the presumption that everyone with a "tag" can be implicitly trusted.

That said, best of luck. Just because we have had success going in one direction does not mean you will fail going in another.

Cheers
    -Tai

18. hobbsc

hobbsc Diabloii.Net Member

I dig clans, but with a game that has so few followers compared to others, you may find membership to be difficult. There are a few clans on some of "those other forums", but I don't think I'd trust any of them.

The channel idea works pretty well as most D2 players (in my experience) tend to be relatively casual. Banana has been good to me through the years because I tend to disappear randomly for months at a time. You'll have to deal with that as well.

Server costs can get up there, too. I've played other games competitively and I've found that when I've been in charge of clans/teams, costs and upkeep can overwhelm you pretty quickly.

That being said, if you think you'd like to run a clan, have at it. Even if you don't encompass multiple games under the clan, it might take off. What have you got to lose? :D

Good luck!!

19. JayhawkFan

JayhawkFan Diabloii.Net Member

I've never been in a clan in d2 but I believe it will not be hard to run. Recruiting will only be difficult if you're trying to get a large clan. A clan with 4-8 people that play regularly and are all trustworthy is completely manageable. Personally I wouldn't mind if the only events were getting together and just playing. If the leader has to appease the members with goodies to keep them in the clan then that isn't the type of clan I would want to be in.

A relaxed atmosphere with people to actually play HC with is something that would be ideal because mostly everyone that plays now has their own little clique to play with. As for me, I've never really had a good, reliable friends list so a d2 clan could be fun for me.