Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why are skeletons better than revives?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by hkisbatman, May 22, 2005.

1. hkisbatman

hkisbatman IncGamers Member

Why are skeletons better than revives?

Wait i dont get it. I keep looking at the stats and skeletons appear very weak compared to revives. Why do people say they are better/stronger, aside from the AI which is a minor issue since I have enigma.

2. Beneathnoise

Beneathnoise IncGamers Member

skeletons > all

1) the stats lie
    2) skeletons teleport with you when you move
    3) Revives Ai is truly, truly horrible and will frequently hang back and take out festering appendages when baal is duplicating and jumping you.

4) Skeletons take more than enough damage before going down, enough that even against Hell Baal you probably won't lose more than 3 or 4 on a bad day.

5)Revives have to be chosen specifically for skill, and sometimes you just don't have the ones around that you want.. Skellies will always be there for you.

6) 3 Minutes iS a long time, but sometimes it's not long enough, and i've had more than one baal fight, or meph fight that lasted longer than 3 minutes and it was as it should be, me and my skellies taking them down.

7) Skellies cause less lag in party games (i tested this, 10 revives on baal runs caused more lag than 10 skellies)

Revives have more life, and can deal more damage, true, but for the above reasons, and more i can't think of right now, Skeletons truly win.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

3. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

I don't think you can say that skeletons are better, but you could say that they are easier to use. Revives can be used to great succes, but are oftentimes better used as a back-up for your skeletal army (as a 1 point wonder - and let the +skills handle the rest).

Personally I think mastery should synergize revives with 5 extra seconds per level.

4. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

I don't know about the stats; I hardly ever use Revives simply because when I walk a few steps half my revives will vanish, so unless I *need* them (like for dclone) I don't usually burden myself with them.

Skeletons are much more reliable --- they don't usually wander off for sightseeing, and while they DO vanish it's much less of a problem with them.

Also, Skeletons are Skeletos, always --- no matter what corpse they were created from. Since skeletons don't time out either, things are much easier since I don't have to do all this tedious planning --- when to revive which monster, keeping track of when monsters will time out so I can get *viable* replacements in time and so on.

Also, keeping an army of revives going means constant recasting --- but I very much prefer spending my mana on more useful things, like blowing up corpses or making firewalls.

In addition, the constant recasting of revives also means I have to make sure I have enough corpses of *viable* monsters to revive --- so I need to look at what I'm blowing up, since I should try not to blow up the monster types that I want to revive...

And so on... Revives are a pain in the ass, and I'm not talking about monster asses here.

5. Dad Daniel

Dad Daniel IncGamers Member

1.Where we can find source showing the real stats of the skeletons?
    2. Revives can't teleport along with the necro?

6. arbing

arbing IncGamers Member

they will teleport together with the necro, but the thing is that sometimes(many times), they will not attack right away like the skeles when teleport on top of a monster. Plus a high level skele seems to deal alot more damage than those revives as it seems. (not really sure on that one tho)

7. #endgame

#endgame IncGamers Member

8. dlscowby

dlscowby IncGamers Member

ok i just started my skelemancer, and he currently has lvl 40 mastery, and 38 skeles. i have to say that they have a heck of alot more life than the 780 or so that the stats say they do. my iron golem has 5k and gets killed faster than 1 on my skeles, and i think that skeles have a regen rate like the amazons valks right? i may be wrong, but they can tank like no other, and also imo, they are easier to handle than revives, and the dmg that they do compared to the dmg revises do, i think they do more over time than the revises since you are able to tele them on top of mobs, but thats my 2 cents.

9. Armageddons

Armageddons IncGamers Member

And not to mention that most of us are very picky about Revived monsters (i perfer Maulers for Crushing Blow and Minotaurs for Frenzy) but some of the best Revived candidates are in limited pack

10. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Skellies regenerate all their life in 1024 frames.

11. goofycaca

goofycaca IncGamers Member

Revives only teleport if you use the teleport skill. Such as an amulet with charges, etc.

During game play some skeletons will fall behind and "teleport" to the front of the pack to be near the necromancer again. Revives do not do this. If, and usually when, a revive falls behind, it will simply collapse.

12. Bigrob

Bigrob Banned

revive is still better than skillies if u revive the right monsters. The only thing about revive is that they have poor AI.

13. Gix

Gix IncGamers Member

Revives are like women. They spend too much time thinking about what to do than actually doing it.

14. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

The main problem with "reviving the right monsters" is that usually, "the right monsters" aren't the ones one the ground around you...

Add to this their constant disappearing (which probably means you aren't ever getting anywhere close to the 3 minute limit) and you need a constant stream of "right monsters".

Stats aren't everything in the game --- usability is a key factor.

15. Bigrob

Bigrob Banned

Actually, there is a lot of chance u can revive the right monsters in the right situation. As most of the time u will revive melee monsters, cuz they have more health than range attackers. For example, in chaos sanctuary, u will face diablo and u know he use either lighting or fire attack, so u go ahead and revive either obvilion night and overlord. The only problem for revive is that they only last 3 mins, but usually they do better tanking than skillies.

No boss or unqiue have ever kill my revives. The poor AI can be offset with enigma.

16. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Both have their uses. What makes skeletons good is that you can depend on them for several reasons:

1) They're smart and usually stick with you.

Revives tend to wander around a lot, get lost or stuck or disappear. And they time out at the worst possible moments.

2) They're always the same no matter what corpse you raise them from.

Revives are only as good as their living counterpart was. If that happened to be a zombie or a cadavar the revive is going to be really crappy.

But revives are very useful, too. There's a reason why my necro is able to summon about 20 of them. Assuming your playing your average skellymancer you should focus on revives that have the following capabilites, in order of preference:

- physical damage
    - ranged attack
    - speed

Obviously you want physical damage because that's boosted by might and your main curse. Elemental damage is usually crappy. Ranged attacks rule because all your revives can attack all the time. Speed is important so your revives don't get lost any more than they already do.

The succubi in the throne of destruction make awesome revives, for example. Just like the archers in the pit. Frenzytaurs are very good, too.

17. Generator Of Chaos

Generator Of Chaos IncGamers Member

Well, I have a Bone Necro, with 1 point wonders in the summoning tree...the +skills do the rest of the work..

He's a PvP char, but when I go PvM, I use my army to his full extent..
    I can raise 6 skellies and 6 mages and 14 revives, 1 gumby and a merc with insight (7 skellies and mages and 16 revives, but 2 skellies, warrior and mage, and 2 revives will poof when i switch to CTA to Bo), and I don't bother WHAT I revive..I think that's rather pointless...Just revive as you kill stuff..that will provide a constant meat shield army...
    As for "reliability", my skellies die a lot less often than the revives... In duels Vs, good characters, when i summon my army, mostly the only thing left of it are gumby and a few skellies...all the revives are wipped out...
    However, if you bother getting the right revives (wich can take a while), they can provide a much better temporary defense in PvP then Skellies...

NightFish: I think an exception to that would be glooms/souls...They're extremely overpowered due to a bug...and it's just frightning, in PvM or PvP to see your army fry anything that comes close to you....My favorite Revives...

18. Armageddons

Armageddons IncGamers Member

Nope, Soul are very weak compared to Doom Knights and Minotaurs. The lightning attack is useless against Lightning Immunes and Physical damage is low when compared to enemy monsters' ton of health. The only good thing is that Souls are like Rouge with less time of walking around.

My Revived's motto: "What is most dangerous to you might not be dangerous to others (PVM)"

19. Generator Of Chaos

Generator Of Chaos IncGamers Member

Well, they certainly do a good job in my view... but, I'm not a pure summoner, so.. Armageddons probably knows better..*Shrugs*...

well, if you have a might merc, Minotaurs and Doom Knights would obviously be better due to might aura enhancing their dmg...

20. Grobyc

Grobyc IncGamers Member

I personally like Revives more for its role-play effect and it's more variations than plain ol skellies. When you could revive 12+ Revives, chances are that you could keep reviving anything you kill and it won't be an issue to reaching the limit. Although skellies are strong on their own, I much rather prefer something different if given the choice which is where revives come in.