Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why are previous classes not in d3?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Noobstorm, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Noobstorm

Noobstorm IncGamers Member

Why are previous classes not in d3?

Why are all previous classes except barb not in d3?

2. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

Re: Why are previous classes not in d3?

Change is scary but sometimes necessary.

3. Slevinn

Slevinn IncGamers Member

If you are looking for an actual answer, and not just a "WHY BLIZZARD, WHY?!" answer, then I believe its because they wanted a new experience. New classes, new areas, new skills, new features, they didn't want to "rehash" the old classes into the new game. The Barbarian from D2 IS returning. He is the same Barbarian. And they have mentioned it is POSSIBLE that previous characters will return in future expansion(s). But they wanted to open the game with pretty much all new content.

4. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

D3 is a sequel. It is not D2 with upgraded graphics and skills.

5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

bottom line? money. people want new not the same old stuff with added rainbows

6. SneakyMilo

SneakyMilo IncGamers Member

I could be wrong, but I think the OP was wondering why the original classes weren't included in addition to the new classes. Why include something "for free" when you can charge later for that content as an add-on.

7. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

That's why the responses answered that question about the other classes. ;)

8. Apocalypse

if that is what he meant my answer would be, they wanted to stick to the 5 character format since more would just require more balance issues and a later release date. keeping with the 5 character plan they needed to bring in new ones to spice things up.

most of the games that add more and more classes as the games go on have classes that share skills and/or are mostly single player based where balance is not an issue at all

9. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

The reason why they didn't include character from previous game is because those character are already good enough explored fully. There is little you can do in the amazon or sorcerer class. They are good as they are.
    They simply can't create the wow (and I don't mean world of war craft here) effect with the other classes.

The barbarian is the exception to this question as they believe the barbarian in diablo 2 failed to use it's full potential. The barbarian in diablo 2 isn't finished, there is still a story to tell. That in combination with the fact that the character they were created simply turned out the a barbarian explains why we won't see them back in the original version.

Will we see them back in expansions?
    Possibly? If they feel they can create good classes that improve on the previous versions, they will. However, if we see classes to comeback, it will probably be classes that have room to improve. The sorcerer is an elementalist, not much you can imporve ihmo. Same for the amazon. The necromancer or druid on the other hand seem to offer room for change/improvement.

10. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

With this new form of doing combos, even the sin would be viable to improve, but the Monk suffices.

11. GoldenBird

GoldenBird IncGamers Member

Why would you even really want to play the same classes? If you want to play them then play D2.

12. Dudzy

Dudzy IncGamers Member

Agreed... what would be the point.

13. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Well, I wouldn't lie, I would absolutely love to see some of the oldie spells rendered in the D3 engine. Frozen Orb, for example.

14. Brother Laz

Brother Laz IncGamers Member

So... who moved your cheese?

15. Flux

Flux Administrator

I think partly because it's a new game, and partly because it's a new design team creating it. They wanted to do new things, and they were new people with new ideas. None of the D1/HF chars returned in D2, after all. (Though ironically, 3 of them are returning in D3.)

From what Bliz has said, none of the D3 chars were going to be D2 repeats, in their initial plans. Not even the Barbarian, but they said that their concept for a tanking brutal melee fighter evolved into something so much like the Barbarian that they figured they might as well call him that or everyone would say he was a rip off.

So the Barb is returning, and that makes for an interesting angle on the lore/story, but you'll note that the char is quite different. Almost all of his skills are tweaked around or new, and they've made a lot of changes to the gameplay with Fury, etc.

The Necro is the only other char they've specifically spoken of, in terms of why they didn't return him. Check the Necromancer wiki page for their quotes on that.

They've never given any actual explanation for the others, that I recall hearing. The Wiz is the required mage char, but the Paladin and Amazon haven't really been addressed. The Monk has some auras and he's similar to the Paladin in his fast moving, light warrior nature, and it's assumed the 5th char will be an archer/rogue of some type, though unknown if she'll have any melee skills, with spears or otherwise.

As for the Asn and Druid... well no one ever really gave a damn about them anyway, amirite?

16. Slevinn

Slevinn IncGamers Member

I actually think the Druid had a lot of potential. He could have been amazing if he had been done right.. I feel like he was kind of ruined by the designers. But yeah, I don't particularly want to play a new game with the same characters, just nicer looking. I want the same game, in a way, but with new faces. New places. New items. New skills. New features. I think it would be cool to have the D2 guys in D3 in addition to the new classes they have announced, but that takes entirely too much work than what it's worth.

17. Apocalypse

the druid sounded so fun to me and was such a let down. i just wanted to run around as a bear smacking things in the face but whenever i tried that i would get stun locked half the damn time and die before i could really beat anything up lol. eh maybe i just played him wrong

18. Flux

Flux Administrator

It would be awesome some day to hear the char plans for the original version of D3 that Bliz North was working on from 2002-2005. I've never succeeded in getting any of the old Bliz North guys to talk about it on the record. (And I've tried, trust me. In RL talks with at least 8 or 10 of them.)

None of the guys who left Bliz North before the official closure (such as the Flagship guys) are NDAed, so in theory they could tell us all about it, but they all seem to think it would be rude to bring it up now, or would seem to be undercutting the Bliz Irvine version of D3, and they don't want to burn any bridges. Even the ones who aren't working in the industry right now.

I'm not NDAed, but I've been told things in confidence, so I'm talking either. (Don't you hate that?) Just to vaguely hint; the post I'm replying to here reminded me of this topic, since um... the original D3 version was more similar to D2 than the current version of D3 is. If you get my drift.

19. Slevinn

Slevinn IncGamers Member

D:

There's always a PM... I work in corrections, I'm good at keeping secrets >_<

20. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

They are.

Wizard = sorceress
    Barbarian = barbarian
    Monk = assassin (you can argue this if you want, but pretty much almost direct spiritual successor without the ability to use traps)

WD = crappiest part of necro combined with worst parts of the druid (with the exception of CE)

Mystery class = Amazon