Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why are people so untrustworthy?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by somewhatdamaged99, Feb 5, 2004.

1. somewhatdamaged99

somewhatdamaged99 IncGamers Member

Why are people so untrustworthy?

Hi,

Sorry if this seems like a rant but i have been playing Diablo for years now, usually just on my own, as none of my friends play. I started chatting to a lad who is only 15 from America, and we played together loads of times for about 4 months now. Now i am 25, and would not consider myself naive as he muled in from of me before (as i would never ever steal from anyone), and he seemed cool to mule in front of (storms, arcys, etc etc)

Now just today i was muling my enigma and delerium, and when i came back in game he was wearing them (said he was just testing them etc), so i gave him 5 mins to run around etc whilst chatting to him as usual. After the 5 mins i asked for it back cause i wanted to continue questing alone like i usually do. Did not get an answer for 5 mins, then he whispered me saying he was unable to do anything etc and even unable to quit. So i told him to press alt and f4 to quit game and come back in

So he does this, comes back in and says enigma and delirium have gone

I am so sick and tired of people who dont care morally about how they treat other people (regardless of their physical location) as i do not believe for one second that he 'lost' them and in fact traded / kept them. I feel so stupid for trusting anyone on diablo now, and think i will just play on my own from now on and not even bother talking to people in games. Oh and the guy will not even answer any messages now, and i did not once accuse him of stealing in any of said messages to him. Just goes to show the state of society today (and that it is worldwide as well)

Anyway rant over, just wanted to let people know that being trustworthy is not worth it. Considering I have given him many good items as well, Arcy, Ber, jah, boneshade and lots more - just because it was nice to have someone to play diablo with on Europe realm

Somewhatdamaged

2. th5418

th5418 Banned

Dont trust anybody over B.net. Its unsafe.

3. somewhatdamaged99

somewhatdamaged99 IncGamers Member

Yeah you are right my friend, it's not safe

How sad that is.

4. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you. Yours isn't the first story of this sort and it certainly won't be the last. :(

On the other hand, I'd like to discourage you from resorting to playing alone. You should check out the threads in the Player-Matchup forum or start one yourself. This is a good community with many players who have the same concerns as you do.

If you are looking for some trustworthy people to play with, this is a great place to start looking.

By the way, if you happen to play on USWest ladder (doesn't sound like you do, but ya never know) and you are looking for a partner some evening, whisper me at *Planewalker03. :)

Now cheer up!

5. SnowDrake

SnowDrake IncGamers Member

For most items such as occy/storm/arreat's and such, items that have value but isn't like the most expensive thing in the world, I'll trust friends on BNet. Only ONCE have I had my stuff stolen, and only thrice have I lost stuff muling, one to the guy whole stole it, and twice to disconnects while self-muling.

Anyways, for the most expensive items, I would only mule in a game with a friend over Bnet if I had "known" him over bnet for a long long time. Otherwise, I'd get a friend of mine I know from real life to mule for me. One of my friends on Bnet has actually gave me his cd-key to use for warcraft 3 whilst my original one wouldn't work (wouldn't recognize it) until I got a new copy.... Back in 1.09 I muled this one time with one of my friends over Bnet (this was before any of my friends IRL played d2) and I had more lying on the ground than he had in his entire account x 10 (not even exaggerating), it was at least 20 high runes worth 1.09 terms. He didn't steal any of it.

Anyways my point is, there are trustworthy people on Bnet, but it's hard to find them. I'll admit someone I'd been "friends" with for 4 months I probably would have trusted too, but I don't know, there are some ******** out there....

Anyways sorry to hear your loss :( But not everyone on BNet is like that.

6. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

It is quite possible that he blackzoned and reverted when logging back on...has happened to me a few times.

7. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

many things could have happened. he could have lost them, yes; bnet could have poofed them. if he was a "mutual" friend (f-list), then somewhatdamaged would have seen him log on, etc, go into a trade game, etc.

but what tells me that he stole them is the fact that somewhatdamaged never accused him of stealing the items, and yet the kid ignores him now.

there are trustworthy people out there. unfortunately there are MORE untrustworthy people out there, making it seem like there is no one else, and making it harder to find the people with real ethics.

8. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Damn, that really sucks. In fact, its something I worry about sometimes, even though my group on bnet has muled together hundreds of times with the rarest of items. (I think, one of these days, he's gonna ask me if he can try that on and then he won't give it back - something similar to your case)

Just the same, there are definately very friendly people you can meet even through random game play. A while back, I joined a game called "save anya hell" with my javazon and we were having trouble getting through the Frozen River (maily cuz 5/7 players were dying constantly) so I brought in a cookie-cutter to clear the level but when I tried to rejoin with my zon, I got "Game is Full". Not wanting to let all tha effort go to waste, I am finally able to rejoin maybe 5 or 10 min later to find of course, the quest was completed. Only person left in the game was a necro (the other guy who wasn't dying) who told me that the others didn't want to wait. So i said thats ok, I'll just do the quest myself. So I made a 2 player game and he decides to help me. After finishing the quest, he invites me into his so-called 'inner group' and I was allowed to enter their mule-games (someone had 2 comps and always left a game open). It was an incredible leap of faith on his part. I pointed this out to him but he said he could tell I could be trusted. So that was that.

So don't give up on people yet. I think your situation was just really bad luck since 4 months is actually quite a while for knowing someone on bnet.

On another note, back in 1.09, there was a small group of players who actually made most of their D2 income by rushing people. I actually tried doing this. At first I just rushed for free whenever I got bored but when I found out other people were getting payed items for it, I began taking offers too. I think you can imagine the kind of trust-wars and arguments that can come out of this situation when it comes to payment. At first, I was scammed almost one out of 2 times. But my customer selection process was ever improving and soon I could tell if a person was a scammer before I started rushing them. Some people payed half way through while others said they would and would leave the game after the half-rush. A few who I trusted to pay me after a complete rush (normal - hellcows) did pay me handsomely. I recall one dude giving me 3 40/15ias jewels for my efforts. The same dude then gave me a Ber and Cham for rushing another character. Those were some days.

9. fluff

fluff IncGamers Member

I have four friends that I've known for years, before we even played Diablo 2 we were friends. I mule with them and we often look at eachothers stuff. I have never ever muled with anybody else, however, someone who I'd never met before asked me to help him mule once in a game. So I did. He muled about 20 small mf charms and then gave me a Harlequin Crest and a pair of War Travelers for helping him. I was absolutely amazed and astounded that he left me alone in a game with his stuff. I told him I didn't deserve that stuff just for helping him mule but he insisted.

10. SnowDrake

SnowDrake IncGamers Member

Haha in 1.09 I rushed people for a living.... once I asked for an Um rune for a full rush, and we agreed he'd pay after nightmare meph. He payed up, and after I finished the rest of the rush he gave me an Ist rune as a thanks for not scamming and leaving after he payed me the um....

Anyways, I did get scammed once or twice, but generally I asked for payment after getting them the full staff for act 2 but before duriel, or after meph. Most people who are trying to scam would usually rather find someone who they can get to rush them the whole way before asking for payment.

It worked most the time. There are probably actually alot more trustworthy people on BNet than we think, it's just that those who are untrustworthy stand out in our minds more.

11. Knightmare

Knightmare IncGamers Member

This happened to me more the once. The last time this happened to me, the thief was punished severely...by me.

12. Verocity

Verocity IncGamers Member

Sorry to hear that. Bnet isn't that far from real life and greed rules all it seems. I guess I should consider myself lucky to have two PCs with two D2 installs on them for muling, etc.

13. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

Sorry to hear this happened to you. One suggestion though, if you're going to play alone, you might aswel move on to SP games completely as there you get the benefit of being able to mule alone either with various multirun systems or then with ATMA, perfectly safe that way. Also the diabloii.net's single player forum has a great community that can help you get started (myself included), and I've rarely seen anyone got scammed there in any way. Sure it happens with trades (normally with dupes), but that's really rare.

Also there you have the possibility of using the /players 8 command to level up faster, plus you'd still be able to find all the "ladder only" stuff since those are there aswell. The only thing you'd be missing is your current character, equipment and the chance to find the Annihilus charm (legitimately that is).

Along with that, there is SC and HC ladders created by Lord_Vega and myself and those have become quite popular there. No seasons or anything like that, only requirement being that characters start completely from scratch, which shouldn't be a problem if you'd move there from realms.

Think about it :)

14. Ifrit18

Ifrit18 Banned

Reason for the not so honest peeps on b.net is mainly because they are behind a computer. Since they are behind the computer, they are much more acceptable to doing cheating and bad mannered.

15. ian_linington

ian_linington IncGamers Member

somewhatdamaged,

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. I'm 31 and I've got no RL friends who are online when I need mule stuff off my chars, but I've made a couple of friends on-line and I'm quite happy to mule with them. I don't have anything worth that much as I've only been playing for a short while but there is definately a trust between us all.

One of my friends is able to spend more time on-line than me so I've lent her my Wealth armour and gheeds charm to help with the MF'ing. We also pool any runes and gems that we find so we can use them for trading or cubing receipes.

I met Cambylobacter from these forums and when we are both on-line we go MF'ing together, sharing the drops out (what they have been). As he is a freek for cubing blood amulets he gets all my amn's and rubys !

I try and treat people as I would want to be treated myself and so far I've had no problems !

It sounds like you are on Europe...... if it's ladder chars and need a hand then give me a shout... Either for doing MF runs or muling some stuff off chars

My main acc is *stormin_norm_3 as I'm using a 81lvl hammerdin on it for MF'ing (need some decent stuff !!). Saying that I'm moving house on Monday
    so I'm not going to be online for a while :mad:

Take care

Ian L.

16. Glacial Trail

Glacial Trail IncGamers Member

I stalked someone who had stolen from me for weeks after. Not annoying him, just politely asking him if he'd changed his mind once a day. He returned the items, and even apologised. That's the mentality I think, they want to steal and enjoy the godly items - but they wouldn't want to be reminded of that theft every time they log on for the rest of their D2 days.

17. Masticophis

Masticophis IncGamers Member

Sorry to hear it...

I am sorry to hear what happened to you. I myself have been scammed for rushes pre-1.10 . I have lost Softcore stuff trading for HC stuff. No biggie there.. I basically asked for that lol.

If you are on HC LAdder USeast, I can help you out with some mid lvl items if you need. Most people on HC EL know me fairly well, as I am always helping, donating, etc. My main account is *thepindaler and playing with my sorc FearMyOrb. Msg me sometime if you need some help with anything.

Yes there are a few bad apples out there, well, maybe more than a few. There are some really decent people in my world as well. I have a buddy that I have know maybe 2 months now. He drops tals, enigs, hoto, etc to mule with trust from me. I do the same. He has donated plenty of stuff to me, as well as countless others. So you just have to meet the right people.

Hope to hear from ya soon. If you are on HC EL....

18. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

Waaay too many scammers out there.

I game w/ my friends, but I have 2 comps. I self-xfer :)

19. EndTheory

EndTheory IncGamers Member

Fortunately i have some RL friends i work with and such to trade/ play with. If they ever cheated me i could explode a coke in their face or something...

20. velveteenwabbit

velveteenwabbit IncGamers Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. :(

I usually self-xfer if I need to, else I have a group of friends I've known for a while that I can trust and trust me. =/

Its like a lot of peoples have said so far... there's quite a few bad apples, but there's still some honest ones out there. :)

(we need a squad of avengers to run around the game beating people up for being cheatin' thieves xD)

glacial - lol
    I like that method. :) Glad it worked hehe