Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why are Asians more successful?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dirty_Zulu, Mar 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

Why are Asians more successful?

The other thread on guns somehow lead to why Blacks cause more crimes.

Why are Asians so successful? Some of them came from familities with little money to start off, single parents, bad communities, etc... Same reasons that lead to Blacks causing more crimes.

But I see disproportionate number of Asians in prestigious universities, jobs, businessmen, etc.

How do Asians do it?

2. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ IncGamers Member

I dont know.

It may be a stereotype, but Asians are known to be hardworking and conservative (in terms of money).

This thread reminds me of the movie Harold and Kumar.

3. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

What do you mean by sucessful?

Garbad

4. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

To say that all asians are successful is like saying all asians are sexual deviants.

5. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

6. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

As someone of Chinese descent, I have to say that I find this thread rather tasteless.

7. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Steel, I can see where you're coming from on this one. That said, do you feel that it's not something worth discussing? Certain groups seem to do better than other groups; is it wrong to wonder what societal factors cause that discrepancy?

8. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

I do not see how asians are doing better since they are not....I have a fair number of asian friends (I am a whiteboy!!) and I am doing as well if not better then them. One thing is that many of them like to show off even if they do not have the wealth. They also have higher standards then most north americans.

9. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I think lots of "minorities" seem to be successful because they've come to the United States because of opportunities they didn't have in their home country. And once getting here, they aren't going to sit on their butts, they're going to take advantage of the opportunities, and work toward success.

10. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Kinda my perspective on it, which is why I was wondering what about this offended Steel. I feel, frankly, that minorities that have more recently immigrated to this country have a far greater appreciation for the opportunities here, and as a result have far superior work ethics.

11. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Geeno hit it on the head.

No matter how 'nice' the brush is, I don't want to be universally painted with it. It's a crass generalisation, and it also enforces the stereotype that all Asians are hardworking, nose-to-the-grindstone, no-fun people who only live to work.

12. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

A valid point, and one I hadn't considered. That said, I think that the statistics can speak for themselves in showing that a higher proportion of certain groups of recent immigrants to this country tend to advance more quickly than families who are in a situation and have lived here for generations. Not sure where that puts the brush--if anything, its a gross generalization about 2nd and 3rd generation families, and it may be wrong, but I have a feeling if one looked at the numbers, it would hold true.

Then again, I'm deviating from the topic as stated here, because I'm holding that all groups from all backgrounds seem have these characteristics more than those who are US back 150 years--not just one particular shade of skin or hair color or "race" whatever that means. That includes myself, for example, and a lot of people from all walks of life. Maybe that's a BS hypothesis though.

13. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

I've already seen a few complaints about this thread and frankly, I can see where it could be viewed as generalizing a nationality. This has historicaly been a bad idea.

I think it best to close this thread now in the name of preventative maintenance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.