Why a flail for HOTO?

spartacvs

Diabloii.Net Member
Why a flail for HOTO?

Why does peoples use a flail for the HOTO runeword? There is many others low requirement weapons out there? A hammer, as a example? Sure it's more dex but at lvl 55 (ilvl for a hoto) almost any built will have that.
Is it because the repair cost is the best in a flail?

Backdoor Bandit

Diabloii.Net Member
The reason is, all runewords only work in specific item types. That's not because of repair costs, just a general feature. No special reason behind it.

Paradox of Reality

Diabloii.Net Member
Because HoTO will only work in staves and maces, maces being Mace, Morning Star, Flail, and the Exceptional/Elite versions. Yes, most builds will have dex, but HoTO isn't really used for a melee weapon, damage of the weapon isn't an issue. So it is easiest to make it in something that has low str/dex reqs.

Edit: Forgot to mention, of those only staves and flails can have the 4 sockets needed to make HoTO, making it in a flail allows you to use a shield also.

Shade

Diabloii.Net Member
Additionally, nobody in their right mind would use HotO for actually hitting things. It has no enhanced damage on it (well, +75% vs. Demons, wowee), so it's easily outmatched by even a moderate Rare weapon for melee.

Its real strength are the caster-friendly mods on it (+max mana, +resist all, +skills, FCR), everything else is just there to fill up the text box.

freakinrican

Diabloii.Net Member
So, if I'm reading this correctly, I can't HOTO a war or divine scepter even though they are maces? Sux if it does 'cause I'm sure pallys could use an extra +3 skills on either FOH or Blessed Hammer...

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member
Scepters are rods (like wands, staves, etc), rods are blunt weapons, blunt weapons are melee weapons.

They're not maces.

Stosh the Overseer

Diabloii.Net Member
I didn't check on arreat summit, but the reason seems simple, u must make it in a non exceptionnal/elite item for low reqs (only if ever u use it for a full vita build) ... and u need 4 sockets ... I guess the aren't many normal maces which can hav 4 sockets ;)
The other reason is purely esthetic, every body usually prefers seeing their mage with a flail rather than a casual mace, you may see things differently