Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Why 17 cold mastery?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Lantto, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Lantto

Lantto IncGamers Member

Why 17 cold mastery?

Ive read a few posts and guides sugesting 17 in CM is it cause its a nice round figure or is there some special feature with -100% res?

2. Canoe

Canoe IncGamers Member

My understanding (and you veterans please correct me as i'm a newb here)
    is that the most you can -res in PVM is -100 which is what 17 CM does...

PVP is a different story... but PVM 17 is the magic number it seems.

3. Sessily

Sessily IncGamers Member

Yes, that's correct. CM at level 17 means that any monster will have -100 resistance, so more points will only increase the damage against resistant monsters. They only constitute about 25% in Hell difficulty, so it is generally considered not worth it.

4. jwfcp

jwfcp IncGamers Member

well thats how it used to be in .09 but now the mastery can reduce below 0% res so there is no reason no to max it.

5. Lantto

Lantto IncGamers Member

The reason I asked was that I'm making a CL/FO sorc and I'm not sure on last points.

20 FO
    20 CL
    20 Lit
    20 LM
    1 Static
    1 ES
    1 Warmth
    1 CM
    1 Armor

After that the resto of the points go either into CM or telekinesis for more usable shield. Waht do you think? Together with some lit charms I could get a pertty decent ES with around 10 points in telekinesis as well.

6. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

If your going for a pure blizzard it was strongly suggested that you should MAX out CM as it was worked out (cannot quite remeber the formula) that it would maximise the effect on blizzard and other cold spells on PvM.

Therefore should be maxing Blzzard, CM and then the synergies in that order.

Really depends on SP u have to spare for a dual treee sorceress.

7. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

You can reduce below 0% but not below -100% which is the negative resistance cap. So for Monsters with 0% CR anything more than lv17CM is a waste.

8. Kyo

Kyo IncGamers Member

erm. Look up at my earlier comment that was the initial viewpoint for cold spells. But a few others apparantly found out past slvl 17 was benefitial for cold spell perspective.

9. TheKbob

TheKbob IncGamers Member

Now will the cold mastery break cold immunes such as a Necro has Amp and Decrep to break Phys Immunes and Lower res or Conviciton to break other immunities?

~Kbob

10. Mage_Killer

Mage_Killer IncGamers Member

unfortunately it doesn't

11. Mule

Mule IncGamers Member

I can't see why -100 should be a magic number for anything but that's the max you can lower some monster with 0% cold resist. According to AS a Claw Viper (act 2 charging worm thingies) have 40% cold res in NM (immune in hell tho), so lowering those by 100% wouldn't have maximum effect. The diablo clone has if i recall correctly 95% cold resist, so lowering him by 195% would yeld the optimum result. So it basically depends on what you're fighting.

12. wind

wind IncGamers Member

-100% is a magic number but only so far as it being the max you can reduce monsters resists to that level. But how many skill points do you need to achieve that?

Some people go on like "Golly gosh all anyone needs is 17 points in the CM skill!!! :flip: ". There's more to it than that.

Another thing about saying 3/4 of all monsters don't have resistance while only a small 1/4 does, ignores that within that 1/4 of monsters who do are the most dangerous to players ... Death Lords, Black Souls and a number of ranged attackers.

There is no real magic number, only numbers that may help your game style. You only want to run meph, go for -175 to resist. Would you like to get the most bang for the skill investment against Black Souls, get yourself -133 to resist. On top of that what makes it easier is if you know exactly what your end gear setup will be. If you know how many +skills you'll have you can adjust your CM investment accordingly.