Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Who's started new characters for the patch.

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Zorrah, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Zorrah

Zorrah IncGamers Member

Who's started new characters for the patch.

I'm just curious, with the new patch, how many of you start new characters and create the new characters based off of the new features, balance ect? Especially since I usually crawl along at a snails pace, just an hour or two per day at most, switching characters, ect., my high characters don't even stand up to what many would consider mid level (51 sorceress is my highest, despite owning the game since it's release). How many of you are starting new characters just for the patch? How long does it take to get back on the ball, and how do you level your characters (just play, kill the same boss over and over, clean out hot spots, rush with high characters)?

2. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

I am on my fourth new character in the patch. I made a Zealot Paladin (89), a Wind Druid (80), A blizzard Sorc (**) and I am now starting an Avenger Paladin. I don't play too much, I don't think - I played a lot more when the patch came out.

With my Zealot, I did a bunch of Baal Runs to get to level 89, I beat the game at level 79 with my Wind Druid, so I only levelled him once since then, and my sorc just became such a high level as a bi-product of magic finding (mephisto, mausoleum, chaos sanctuary, baal)

3. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Lets see...I made a bonemancer, a lightning javazon, and a mf hammerdin all through hell.

Now I'm starting a mav's set FA zon.

4. Gul'Dan

Gul'Dan IncGamers Member

I think the first m/patriach was about 20 hours after the patch come out. I think an average player should be able to kill hell baal after 30 to 40 hours of game play, if starting untwinked.

I think every ladder player starts with a new character :)

How to level your character:

The fastest way (not recommended unless you are a so called "dueller" or leecher):

lvl 1-20: quest through act 2, should be lvl 20 by the end.
    lvl 20: rush to norm ancient.
    lvl 21-24: travancal runs or norm cow runs
    lvl 25-40 (?): norm baal run. If you are in a clan, nm cow runs.
    lvl 40: rush/leech past nm ancient.
    lvl 40-60: nm baal run.
    lvl 60: rush/leech past hell ancient.
    lvl 60+: hell baal leech.

That is the fastest way to level but also the most boring way to level.

If you play through the game (doing all quests), then you will have a hard time NOT be level 80ish by hell baal (even if you don't do nm baal over and over again). It generally takes about 3 or 4 times longer but much more fun.

5. Ferrous

Ferrous IncGamers Member

I recently got rid of all of my characters (I was getting bored, wanted some new meat) - but I had a level 73 Assasin (bladefury/ds), 71 Wind druid, 60 bonemancer, 40 ma sin, 40 necromancer who could raise monsters from the dead like no one else, 40 FoH paladin, 19 barb thrower, 20 electric sorc....but I got rid of all of those. Now I'm just working on a rabies druid from complete scratch. Quite a bit of fun, I will say

6. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

lvl 86 zealot
    lvl 85 zealot(remake)
    lvl 92 hammerdin
    lvl 70 amazon
    lvl 89 ww barb
    lvl 87 trap assassin
    lvl 90 wind druid
    lvl 89 fire sorc
    lvl 90 pvp bone necro

whew!

7. th5418

th5418 Banned

I made a new hammerdin, trapsin, bonemancer and a blizzard sorc. Now making a Werewolf.

8. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

Whew! it is :)

I have a
    94 zealot (played almost every day from 1.10 release until sometime in January. No baalruns, just a lot of playing)
    90 poisonmancer
    79 trapsin (too boring, a mule now)
    89 pvp bonemancer (boosted)
    87 wind druid
    40 skelliemancer (current project)

9. DK7

DK7 IncGamers Member

93 Hammerdin is my newest
    82 Zealadin
    81 Summoning Necro
    92 MF sorce
    20 barb is my first 1.10 character and this is when i saw how bad melee was going compared to .09 where I was a barb freak (yes even early in act1 you could tell) so i went with casters mostly from day 2 of the patch and on. Iron maiden and having to click on something 1000 times to kill it is not fun.

10. Zorrah

Zorrah IncGamers Member

Part of my curiosity is how long each of those took you. I assume you mean that you're zealot is the one that you started after 1.10 or is it all of them, and you made a second zealot from something happening to the first?

Second, before the patch, I had just reached hell mode with my first character, rescued Cain. I was alright, just crawling along at a snails pace, but making forward progress and not dying. Now, I can bearly step out of the rouge camp without dying.

11. festers50

festers50 IncGamers Member

I made a new mace barb, because I found an IK armor in the pit.

It took me 5 days playing evenings to get to lvl 80 (currently lvl 86).

Playing mostly in 3 player games with 2 of my neighbors (they both started new characters specificly to use items found in the pit too).

12. UncleJoel

UncleJoel IncGamers Member

i started playing d2 in december after a long break . .. about 1¾ years, i think the best item i had back then was gris armour :teeth: , but then i got hacked :grrr: so annoyed i decided to wait for 1.10, a few months a friend started playing d2 and said the new patch was out so i decided to join him. anyhoo since i started again, all my chara's are made for 1.10

lvl 85 werewolf
    lvl 76 multizon
    lvl 86 cl/fo sorc
    lvl 85 hammerdin
    lvl 85 skelemancer
    lvl 64 avenger (work in progress)

to get to about lvl 50 . . .
    train in act1 until lvl 12
    act2
    complete act 2, should be about lvl17
    act3
    complete act 3, should be about lvl 19-22
    act4
    complete act 4, should be about lvl 23
    act5
    do the ancients
    then baal runs until your lvl around lvl 50 . . . move to nm

This is based on if you go around lvling with ppl with around the same lvl as you try not to rush too much, or else you will be overwhelmed .To get to lvl 50 @ 2 hours a day, it could take anywhere between 2-7 days. As they say, theres only one way to find out :teeth:

13. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

WOW we still talking about the 1.10 release? :D

well, when it was released, i started with a frenzy barb. because that always was my favorite character.
    The first night of the release was the best d2 experience i have ever had. I played the frenzy barb all night. with an 8 player party, we started in act1 and played to act5 or so that evening. Unfortunately i forgot to look where i was in the ladder at that moment. Should have been pretty high since it seemed many people were having very severe connection problems that night while i was able to play for the first hours upon release uniterupted. I played until lvl 25 or so like that in one single game before i went to sleep. when i woke up next morning, i was somewhere around 650 on the ladder, a bunch of people appearently chose not to go sleep that night.

the folowing days, my frenzy barb died soon after i started playing again with his lvl 25.
    I restarted him, he died again before 30.
    I restarted, he lived till lvl 70 or so, but an untwinked frenzy barb really proved not able to function in hell. He died in hell act2 against a FELE wraith.
    I then layed low on d2 for some weeks.

When i restarted i decided it would be a berserker barb since getting good weapons proved to be the most difficult part of equiping an untwinked char and a zerker would only need 1 good weapon instead of 2.
    Not sure if my zerker survived that far in the first try, but he did make it to lvl 76 before dying in hell to a comp lockup (couldnt even alt f4 anymore, too late to realise i had to press power)

After a short break again (only few days), i decided to start again. I started a new barb, and a sorc now. i played them up together. The barb would be a throw barb, even though previous barbs had died, i decided it would be a nice chalenge to get a thrower trough hell. meanwhile i would use sorces for mfing. The first sorc came to lvl 57, the next a little over 60, then one in the 70's. The last sorc i made is now lvl 87, alive and kicking (kicking mephi that is)
    Also did i start a necro because he seems to be not so equipment dependand and able to do pit runs. The necro is lvl 80 now, able to do the pits in single player games, but not in 8 player games. so he is waiting for better equipment so he will be able to do them in 8 player games.

The throw barb is now lvl 71, he has played trough nightmare, but since his equip is still not complete and i am too busy playing my sorc and necro, i havent touched him in weeks.

Yesterday i started to rebuild my berserker barb. I have obtained a full IK set for him. he is level 68 now.

Somewhere in between, i believe after the 7x sorc died, i also started a vengeance paladin. He is a lvl 73 mule now.

14. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

If you dedicate to leveling a character, i would estimate the following time frame:
    This however requires you know the right areas to play, you play in full public games, you have equip for him so you dont need to shop for that, pick things up sell and buy etc.....
    Also does it not include leveling a merc. And you need either a friend to rush you trough quests or be a bit lucky in finding the right games on battle.net.

3 hours: lvl 25 (doing quests act1 and 2, rushing act3 and 4 then cowing 20-25)
    5 hours: lvl 48 (baal runs)
    6 hours: rushed trough NM.
    9 hours: lvl 72 (baal runs)
    10 hours: rushed trough hell.
    15 hours: lvl 80 (baal runs)
    20 hours: lvl 85 (baal runs)

after that it gets exponentially slower, my highest is lvl 87.

15. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

After downloading 1.10, my internet connection never worked properly again, so these are all SP.

HC Assassin (LaZorraNegra): Died before I could even start specializing.
    HC Lancezon (Eowyn): Died in Tower before reaching Countess.
    HC Lancezon (Eowyn_II): Got Malus, but died before getting it to Charsi.
    HC Sword Barb (Usufruct): Got to Level 34 and died during a Meph run.
    SC Lightning Sorc (Kementari): Got to Act II and lost interest.
    SC Werebear (Iorek): Realized my 1.09 Werewolf was more fun.
    SC Fister (Joe_Louis): In the works.

16. Rigel Kent

Rigel Kent IncGamers Member

I made 5 new characters for ladder play. The nice thing about softcore is that melee builds are sometimes considered viable!

- 2 are just synergized reworkings of old builds: Vengeance Conviction pally and Doublethrow Frenzy barb. They haven't changed much from their old incarnations.

- 1 takes advantage of a skill that sucked in 1.09 but is now much more powerful: Demon Machine Enchant sorc. It would've worked in 1.09 but with limited success.

- Finally, 2 are distinctly 1.10, built on features that are brand new: Demon Machine Holy Fire pally and Slowbow Strafe zon. These builds simply could not have worked in 1.09: Holy Fire didn't add fire damage, Blessed Aim didn't add a hidden passive AR bonus, and Strafe only hit multiple times because of a bug.

17. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

I remade the zealot to be better ^_^

ALOT of time ^_^