Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Who sells 3 socketed shields?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by psalmanzar, Jun 2, 2008.

1. psalmanzar

psalmanzar IncGamers Member

Who sells 3 socketed shields?

I have the runes to make ancients pledge, but I don't have a 3 socketed shield to put them in. Do any of the vendors sell a better 3 socketed shield than large shield? A couple of those dropped back in act 1 but I didn't keep them because of the low block chance.

If not, how are they normally acquired? Discard all MF gear, and kill a bunch of easy act 4/5 critters?

Thank you.

2. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Re: Who sells 3 socketed shields?

Fara also sells Kite Shields. But getting block with Ancient's Pledge seems somewhat pointless anyway?

3. psalmanzar

Thanks, for the reply I guess I'll try powershopping her with Arcane Sactuary WP.

Is block pointless with Ancients Pledge? Not arguing, I just wouldn't know. Does one normally have to choose to focus on one or the other to get a useful level of benefit? Above all, I want resists from the shield because most of my gear is devoted to MF right now, and my dex probably isn't high enough for much blocking right now anyway...

4. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

Depends on what build you are making

5. psalmanzar

@lionheart

My character is a barbarian focusing on concentrate/shout with defiance mercenary. I want a shield that'll take me thru late normal and early nightmare, and from the stats I've seen on merchant displays so far, 3 socketed tower with ancients pledge is the best I can do.

6. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

That will easily get you through early NM. Rhyme is a really good shield through NM and hell. A good shield for it is a grim shield (I always manage to find a 2 soc grim shield in NM act 3, don't ask how). If you're looking at ancients pledge though, a 3 pdiamond shield will probably be better for you (plus you can put it in a magic shield).

7. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

A three-socket tower shield *is* the best you can do for a barb, really... though a shield with that much resistance % may not be necessary, if you put a point or two into Natural Resistance. The real problem with Ancients Pledge is that aside from the resistances, it's pretty useless... you'll get more resistances (if that's what you're after) with three perfect diamonds, and nearly as much with two perfect diamonds in a 2-socket shield.

My favorite untwinked, low-level shield is a Bone Shield of Deflection (easily shopped from Drognan), with a good second mod... then, use your Larzuk reward to socket it. If you get lucky, you'll get a 2-socket shield with terrific blocking, which you can then decorate with 2 perfect diamonds... far more useful than an Ancient's Pledge.

8. psalmanzar

thanks all for the replies.

I'm making Ancients Pledge in the kite shield for right now, because I can really use the resists. By the time I find 3 socketed tower or better I anticipate I will have 3 perfect diamonds (already cubed 2).

Edit...Just saw skunkbelly's post, I will save the 2 perfects for after I get the socketing reward, then shop that shield from Drognan. Thank you.

9. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

I am pretty sure you can not buy a non-magical item beyond act 2 normal shops, so purchasing that kind of shield may not be possible.