Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Who played Hellgate London?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by agentbilly, Nov 8, 2010.

1. agentbilly

agentbilly Diabloii.Net Member

Who played Hellgate London?

I just read a little on a comment about hellgate london. My gf and I both bought and played the game all the way through. I was just wondering who else played it and what you thought of it. Here is my ideas let me know what you think!

1. Game idea was amazing, the idea that it was a fps or 3rd person shooter rpg was amazing. Loved the abilities of the summoner and the engineer to put weapons on your little drone and what not. Was amazing and the ideas and implementation were amazing.

now the downside.

2. Game was beta quality at best. Glitches everywhere, u coul jump on rocks and get teleported to beggining. Game was just not polished and seemed like it still needed a lot of touch up.

3. Game story was boring. They could have come up with a much more interesting story and really did better on it. Seemed like there was very little storyline as we went forward.

All in all I think it was a good game, but if they took the character designs like the summoner and engineer and let you play those in a new game with a better world and better story, I think they would have a really amazing game on their hands. The first person shooter rpg with summons what what really appealed as out of the box ideas that I liked.

What do you guys think? what did you like/dislike about the game?

2. Cpdoom

Cpdoom Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Who played Hellgate London?

I actually liked the game. When it was first released it was really buggy, but they fixed many of the issues.

I liked the speed of the game.

I thought the melee classes were well done.

I didn't like the way you had to go through a lot of **** just to see how much dmg your weapons had on them.

I missed a tab like in D2 where you could see your actual output dmg.

I am not sure about this, but it seemed like it was only viable to farm the last boss of the game - I didn't like that.

I thought HGL was far superior to TL.

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

i didnt like either HGL or TL but then again i didnt give HGL much of a try, i think i quit day 1 with only an hour of game time. TL on the other handed is the most over-rated piece of crap i have ever played.

4. fnwc

fnwc Diabloii.Net Member

I played HGL for a little bit, the game seemed to have some promise. I had a couple of major issues:

1. Very buggy
    2. Graphics engine was slooooooow
    3. Graphics were muddy (*everything was brown/grey*)
    4. Lack of polish

I couldn't even get that far in the game due to a game stopping bug, fairly early into the game (<10 hours).

I had a bit of fun despite trying to work around the various issues. I could probably reload it now that it's been patched and see how far I get.

5. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

I played it but found it way to buggy and with a way to wacky storyline for me to enjoy in the end.

I like the armor designs and most weapon designs and the core idea was interesting but it failed in the end.

6. ManiaCCC

ManiaCCC Diabloii.Net Member

Buggy, story was poor..but it was fun actually. I think I would still play it here and there.. but when they stopped support the game, it was the end of HGL for me...sadly.

TBH.. if they had more time for polish the game, it could be very nice game.

7. agentbilly

agentbilly Diabloii.Net Member

Cool I like too see that lot of people had the same sort of experience as I did. Lots of promise great idea/character concept, just ugly and buggy and needed a lot of polish work. Would be cool if someone did something simular but fixed those issues. The robot drone witht a gun attached or a sword was awesome. It was cool to see your sword mounted on your drone that would drill out and stab people. Or gun mounted to shoot. Definitely had a lot of promise. Just too bad that it was so glitchy and storyline was soooo boring.

8. ManiaCCC

For me..it was the only game where I could build character around using sword and gun. :) I was using 1-hand grenade launcher and kick *** sword.. I was surprised that worked quite well and had tons of fun with this character...

Damn, would love something like that in Diablo :)

9. permaximum

permaximum Banned

The idea was great.. But there were minuses.

1. Lack of polish (publisher effect)
    2. Bad story and quest presentation (lack of voice acting, dramatic scenes etc)
    3. Too pale colors.
    4. Feels repetitive because of 2, 3 and nearly same environments.
    5. Feel of hitting good but was not great imo. We got used to that in Diablo series.

10. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

i just remembered why i quit HGL, the controls. stupid thing would not let me customize my controls so i never played again.

11. yovargas

yovargas Diabloii.Net Member

One of the little, unspoken secrets of Diablo's success. Very few, if any, games in the genre manage to do this as well as Blizzard has.

12. Kickback

Kickback Diabloii.Net Member

I too, sadly, spent money on this game. A good friend of mine and I bought the game at the same time and were very excited to play a game designed by those responsible for Diablo II. Then we played it and the best way to describe it was air slowly being let out of a balloon. Our excitement just faded away as we played.

The bugs were horrible. First thing we noticed was we weren't even in the same place because of the multiple-instanced hubs. Then we would try to party up and not even be able to see each other or be in the same instance even when party'ed up. Not even able to party up with your best friend and kill things at launch is unforgivable.

Still, we gave it a go, bugs and all and it slowly over the course of a couple weeks drove me away. My friend played a little longer, but we both felt very sorry for those poor soulds who purchased "lifetime" subscriptions. I think the servers lasted about 18 months.

13. Glass

Glass Diabloii.Net Member

It should have been fantastic. An RPG/FPS hybrid based on an IP that incorporates fantasy and sci-fi.

Instead it became a great example of what a game looks like when the developer runs out of money. And even then it wasn't running out of money that killed it, since the story was presumably written before that happened.

The biggest problem I had with the game was a bug that caused a lot of people to get stuck on the loading screen while trying to login. Flagship/Ping0 refused to acknowledge it (there was a massive thread in their tech support forums about it that they ignored).

14. Risingred

Risingred Diabloii.Net Member

I actually liked it. I was a founder, which I obviously regret today. I only stopped playing because my guild dropped off back to their respective MMOs after loss of interest.

I think it acts as a nice little bit of reflection, things that do and do not work in the genre. I used to be a big fan of item upgrading, but after playing through HGL again and comparing that to Diablo, I don't think I'd want that in Diablo. Little things like that.

The story was lame as hell, though. Almost game-breakingly lame.
    They could have dropped the sci-fi crap since they based it in London and just made it like a post-apocalyptic steampunk and that would have brought in the literary fad crowd.

15. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

I beat it on single player with a blademaster just so I could see the ending. Overall a very disappointing game.

Here is a mod call Revival for those who are interested:

http://www.hellgateaus.net/

16. Thecla

Thecla Diabloii.Net Member

I played HG:L quite a bit. While it fully deserved the blistering criticism it got for being released in an unfinished buggy state with boring, repetitive, linear maps, terrible story acting, poor UI etc., I think at core HG:L was a really good ARPG with an interesting combat system (revolving around sfx like fire for ignite or phase for extra damage), good itemization system, interesting character classes, and full server-side multiplayer support. I played quite a bit of hardcore, mostly as an evoker (the basic spellcaster), and it was a lot of fun and pretty challenging --- I managed to kill off just about every HC evoker I started, and not because of lag but because of real in-game mistakes (which is a lot more than I can say about my HC DII characters).

Maybe if HG:L had been released as it was after a year, just before it went under completely, it would have done ok, I don't know, but personally (despite all it's many, many really frustrating problems) I found HG:L to be the closest sequel to DII of anything else I've played. In fact, I'm guessing it's more like what DIII would've been had it been made by Bliz North instead of Jay Wilson et. al. I'm not saying that's necessarily better or worse, just that the DIII we'll get is probably going to be a fairly radically re-imagined and "less traditional" version of what it might have been.

Another big issue with HG:L was the subscription model for an ARPG, which may not have worked even if the released game hadn't been a bug-ridden, unfinished mess. It seems like subscription models are swimming against the tide these days, so it'll be interesting to see what Bliz does with DIII. Maybe they'll have the resources and player base to support the multiplayer server-side games just on box sales and maybe expansions, but I think that's also becoming increasingly tough to do without some alternative ways to raise revenue.

17. ManiaCCC

Don't give too much credit to Blizz North. Diablo would be never like it's today without help of Blizzard.. Not even Condor (old Blizzard North) was out of money, but also, Diablo was very different game (it was turn based actually - till Blizzard "force" them to rework it into real-time model)

But I have to agree with you completely. Nothing was so close to Diablo series like HGL.. Yea, it was different..but the "spirit" of the Diablo was definitely here. Too bad so many things went wrong.

18. BrianLeichty

BrianLeichty Diabloii.Net Member

I played it a couple of times, but never got all the way through it. It wasn't that bad of a game, in my opinion. Were there things that they could have done better? Yes. I, too, was a Founder, and was very disappointed when it didn't live up to people's expectations. I heard a rumor that Hanbit-Soft fixed the game and are, or at least were, talking about bringing the game back to North America. I don't know if that is still the case, but that was the last thing that I had heard about it.

19. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop Diabloii.Net Member

I still play HGL single player.

I'm shocked this game didn't take off or at least have a community project to revive it and fix the issues. It wasn't polished up and there were bugs, but its a LOT of fun to me. Its going to be re-released in North America and Europe in 2011 under the name Hellgate: Ressurrection by Namco and I will be playing it.

20. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

A community project didn't happen probably because the fanbase turned out to be tiny. The game had terrible reviews and word of mouth. Also, there may have been legal issues as the game didn't technically die as it was transferred to an Asian company.