Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Who is your favorite 99 character?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by NamelessPenguin, Mar 26, 2017.

1. NamelessPenguin

NamelessPenguin IncGamers Member

Besides from the fact, that reaching level 99 is an incredible feat of stamina and dedication (those un-twinked are in a league of their own), I could imagine people think "how to hell did he do that?" with some characters.

Mine are casters, since I only play those (I find melee to be a tad bit on the boring site, although reaching 99 with one of those is just insane..)

Mave-II - DarkChaos

I had just started a trapper, when DC hit 99 with this one. Trappers are not the strongest of beings, they require an insane amount of elite gear just to be viable for hell. Reaching 99 with NO Infinity, just a wand of LR for Baal, was extremely cool. Just the claws alone had to be a pain to obtain.
    I tried to replicate this one, just to see if I could reach his level of awesomeness, but came short. I haven't seen anyone else do this, without Infinity. I can't emphasize how cool I think this one is. Someone tried to make a trapper w/o Infinity, dual +5 trap claws, but his times were about 6 min, and a pain. How he did this just baffles me.

ShieldMaiden - jjscud

Amazons, while being fun, is my less liked class. But reaching 99 with a character with gear you could easily obtain from Mephisto and Pindleskin, defiantly deserves a place on my list. Just pure grinding all the way. I sure hope he had a great WSK map :confused:

ScareCrow - Marvel

I never played a Necromancer, I always found them quite boring, and weak. The gear it took to reach 99 with this one is just out of this world. All those RW's, and in 1.10, where drops had not increased. Dude did 61k LK runs to get started. Again, after reading his journey, I immediately wanted one of these. Infinity, Beast, Enigma...Just a pure beast. And with a best run time of 3.15 min.

Needles to say, back in 1.10, I never even came close to those RW's. The skillers must have been even harder to find than the runes. Probably the richest player ever.

I hope I don't step one anyone's toes with this thread, It is certainly not my intent :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  2. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Spatha_Lux is my fav, at least gearwise.

pharphis likes this.
  3. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

I haven't taken a look at the list for a long time but off the top of my head it'd be Grogs' Ayla (untwinked, no cta, blizz sorc relying on bonehew), jjscud's Shieldmaiden and Marvel's Scarecrow since they were truly unique characters for their time and the persistence it took to finish them is incredible compared to the 99s I've done myself.

I'd just like to mention www.twitch.tv/enforcaa who is working on his 2nd 99 HC in SP. He's streaming regularly, I believe his sorc is right at the beginning of 98 now.

Timinator likes this.
  4. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

DC's holy shocker :D

5. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Facet Nova never felt that good, Mio by frozzzen

In my view, THIS is what a proper level 99 character thread should look like. This one in particular is very detail and is introduced with a true "love". Also gear is probably the best I've seen among all 99ers, but that is less important. Spatha_Lux by WoRG is also excellent read.

I kind of have elitist opinion on these threads, and sadly there are plenty of 99er characters who are introduced poorly or with barely any info on a journey. It kind of annoys me when a random mat/pat thread is written with a more "love" and more "care" than introduction thread for certain amount of level 99 characters. Hey, you spent freaking 200 or whatever hours leveling that character, can't you spend another 2 hours to introduce him properly? I spend more time writing random post on a forum than what some people did introducing their level 99 characters. If I would reach level 99, I would introduce him in a glorious well written thread, and not just put stats/gear/goodbye. So, sadly I kind of lack appreciation for certain amount of lvl 99 characters because they were introduced like they are random lvl 85 characters, and not ultimate level beasts.

6. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

This is why I don't write mat/pat/guardian or now even 99er threads. I think I wrote 2-3 guardian threads in 2012 and have been too lazy, since. Besides, I don't keep track of details so I feel guilty having nothing to recap on

7. Gripphon

It doesn't need to have super details or be very long, but at least sharing how do you feel about it, telling something about your journey, what kind of problems you encountered and how did you try to solve them and so on. Something, anything. I also wouldn't pay attention to every gem that dropped either, but after spending like 100 hours or whatever running some target, I would have some things to say about it and would gladly do it. But, I know plenty of players don't feel that way and they don't really care about making proper introduction thread. Whatever makes other people happy, just kinda wanted to share elitist opinion on a matter.

8. Pb_pal

Pb_pal IncGamers Member

To me there is only one answer; the one and only Wind_Whisperer.

This was just a wild accomplishment, and such a fun thing to be around for. Late night MPing with strijdje (which was just a bunch of us piggybacking on him, really :p), the fact that he was one of I think 2 or 3 people who had an Enigma at the time, and the fact that everyone had all but given up on 99ing in SP after 1.10 hit made this a very special character.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    pharphis likes this.
  9. NamelessPenguin

Lots of cool mentions. Grogs' Ayla sure had some simple gear. Newer saw that thread. Very nice. I had to Google Bonehew :oops:

Good point, @Gripphon, most of the 99'er threads are actually quite boring. Just a list of gear, and whew! glad that's over. It may be that reaching level 99 is such a sickening feat, that one just says f' it, here is what I had on.

I'm gonna look through the list, see if there are more interesting reads.

@Pb_pal strjdje was before my time, so I also missed his thread. At first, I thought he had hacked (hax) his way to the top, but later found out he was just bananas. First and only Druid, very impressive. And following that with a Wolfbarb...oh god...

10. darkstarhub

darkstarhub IncGamers Member

I think that sometimes people just throw something out there non-descriptive because maybe the build has been done several times already and the end game gear is fairly standard. There are surely people that will say, "oh wow, another Hammerdin with Enigma or Javazon or Blizzsorc, etc. But, that leaves room for the description of the journey to make a cookie cutter build stand out, maybe some of the notable finds, and if there was a paticular monster combo that gave an interesting fight. Of course embarrassing or stupid deaths can be part of the story.

11. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Cyrax's Possessed. Love the name... and Hammerdins!

12. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Seconded, and not just because I'm working on a LF zon of my own right now. Frozzz's LF zon is so far out there as far as gear perfection - and using items I would NEVER think of using on an LF zon (I prefer T-Stroke over Titans for the IAS and -15% ELR; the HW; and IAS/dmg in a perfect Griffon's; v1.07 LoH; etc.) that it just boggles my mind. Even though I prefer to run Nihl, frozzz did it in CS and Baal, the former of which just seems nuts and Baal boring to me for 98->99.

Pb_pal likes this.
  13. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

baal is mega boring. I liked nihl running with my necro and would have gone all the way for 99 if I hadn't died. Other than that, the only thing that has really been bearable to me is 1.07 council for 99ing

14. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

That's it! No more of my 99 threads for you sir! :p

15. Gripphon

Also 1:50 Baal run by his java (fastest Baal run ever recorded in SPF? Can't recall). Optimized char is optimized :D

Number 5 when?

16. qwernt

qwernt IncGamers Member

Pb_pal likes this.
  17. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

Seconding what Pb_pal said; Wind_Whisperer by strijdje. Not the craziest gear or the most epic thread, but the first one is the first one! I wasn't around then, but that must've been something. And with wind Druid...

Gear-wise, Spath_Lux by WoRG is by far the most interesting and insane we have seen, imo. Where did that guy go, damn I'd like to browse through those stashes! The amount of crafting must have been absurd.

Then there are the recent untwinked 99ers, that thread is full of modern SPF-era epicness, showing how it's done here and carrying the spirit of the SPF craziness to the future :)

Pb_pal and T72on1 like this.
  18. NamelessPenguin

@Grape Been reading through your 99 Vodka thread, and Pat/Mat threads. Very good reads :)

Grape likes this.
  19. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

I'm glad to hear you like them :)

20. NamelessPenguin

@qwernt Yeah, anna_goanna is by far the most impressive achievement in the history of D2. I still always think how he did this, when I enter Duriel's cave, and battle the Ancients. Out of this world :eek: