Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Who is the one person you look up to the most in your life and why?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by raffster, Sep 30, 2006.

1. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

Who is the one person you look up to the most in your life and why?

-topic-

Person I looked up to the most was my high school English teacher, Miss. Winnie Losaria. She had so much wisdom that she always had really good solid advice even to very profound life problems. Unfortunately she died 5 years ago through a car accident -- she got hit by a police car walking back to school from lunch. She was one of those people who had that uncanny ability to just read through you and just say the right thing at the right time, almost all the time.

2. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

My dad. Because he's the wisest person I've ever met.

3. raffster

raffster IncGamers Member

My dad isn't so wise. He's very loving and he took care of the family. But sadly he's not really THAT wise.

4. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

i realized at a young age that my dad is smarter than I am...i've turned to him for advice ever since...and he's never steered me wrong.

5. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

I didn't have a really good relationship with my dad for the first 30 years of my life. Now, I know he was mostly right when he told me things, and I appreciate what he was doing for me...even if it does mean I was just being an idiot in the past.

6. Moosashi

Moosashi IncGamers Member

I've never met a better human being than my dad.

7. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

This turns out to be relative, because my dad was/is the most evil person ever to walk this earth. I use "was/is" because he still might be alive for all i know. Havent seen him in the last 30 years.

8. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

No-one. I've never even met anyone I consider my peer.

On the topic of parents, I used to respect my mother. I don't know if "look up to" is the right way of saying it, I mean of course when I was very young I did but as I grew up I thought of her more as a respected figure of authority (the only such figure that has ever earned my respect), not really the same. I accepted her authority and (mostly) trusted her judgement. But then after certain instances in my teenage years I lost a lot of that respect and now I see her as a very flawed person, and a lot of what I used to think she was she actually wasn't. Not that I look down on her or anything, I'm just too keenly aware of her limitations and I feel a bit of pity (or maybe sympathy would be a better word) mixed in too.

My dad I never really looked up to, he was a distant kind of person when I grew up and rarely involved in my day-to-day life. I liked him and all, but wasn't an authority figure like my mother. Then when my parents got divorced he changed dramatically (or I just got to see the real person for once), basically he has PTSD from Vietnam, he tried to kill my mother and I don't ever want to see him again.

9. HAMC8112

First, what is this PTSD you speak about?

Second, now i understand your rejection of psychology. Facing up to psychology would shatter the image you have of the world and about yourself. It is not like you do not want too know, you just cannot allow yourself to believe for before said reasons. Subconsciously you know this and i suspect even you know it consciously.

I am sure that you do know what is wrong with this statement of yours, only your God complex does not allow you to face up to it.

10. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

Your mother.

11. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Post-traumatic stress disorder. You know, the one that sent Viet Vets nuts so they acted sane for years and then one night just snapped and killed their wives and children.

LOL. Why would it do that?

I don't have a God complex, I consider my intelligence and abilities to be normal. I can't help it if the vast majority of the human race is sub-par.

I have never met anyone I look up to, that's just a fact. Maybe there are some people who I would look up to and I just haven't met them, maybe not. My empirical evidence so far suggests that there aren't, but you never know.

12. HAMC8112

Here are 2 statements made by you, as conflicting as they are, both suggest a God complex. After all, who in this universe has no peers? Why was Satan cast into hell?

13. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

Par = average by the way. So actually, the vast majority of the human race would be about par.

14. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

It's a tie between Céline, Hunter S. Thompson and my new hero, Stan Goff.

Courageous and firm of principles, all three of them.

EDIT:

Holy ****! I forgot Mr. Flynn. My punishment for neglecting to name the greatest man ever to walk this earth will be to go to a party and get really wasted tonight.

15. HockeyChic

HockeyChic Banned

I don’t know that I look up to anyone in particular. I greatly admire certain people for things they have overcome or other sorts of accomplishments they have made. I admire my mother for practically being a single mom, raising 5 kids, while her husband was a serious alcoholic. He rarely contributed financially to the family (although we found out what he had done with his money in the last years of his life) and she never let any of us go with out a thing despite it. She had breast cancer 7 years ago, went through chemo and radiation, never complaining once through the entire ordeal. I admire her strength.
    I admire my dad for realizing his problem and in 6 months time beating it. He never touched alcohol after and was sober for nearly 25 years. We found out that he hadn’t spent all of his money on booze, but had actually saved it to ensure that my mother would be financially taken care of and not need to worry about money after he died. Through my mothers bout with cancer he was a huge source of strength for her.
    I admire my 11 year old daughter, who despite being dealt the crap hand in life on so many levels, continues to amaze me with her emotional maturities.
    I admire two out of my four brothers for not using their childhood as a crutch for excusing idiocy. They put themselves through college, graduating top of their class, one from Texas Tech in law and the other from the University of Michigan with a double major of journalism and social work.
    And last, I admire Ski. I admire his devotion to his family and his country. I admire what he did in his 8 years serving in the military. I admire him for not ever making my oldest feel for one second that she isn’t his own. I admire him seeing to it that his family comes first before everything else. I admire him for putting up with me.

16. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

Wonder if he was thinking the phrase "on par" in regards to himself and that threw him off?

17. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I was using it in analogy to the golfing sense:

3. Golf. the number of strokes set as a standard for a specific hole or a complete course.

They don't conflict; you're misinterpreting the word "normal". It is entirely possible that the entire world is abnormal.

And how do you know how many people have no peers? Could be thousands.

18. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

All corrections aside, I kind of agree with Dondrei here.

I do look up to some people, like my father, and respect them, but I wouldn't say that I look up to any one person enough to put them on a pedestal. Why, you ask?

Well, I don't judge people based on their flaws, because everyone has em. I judge people based on whether or not they try to overcome those flaws and better themselves. I make a conscious effort not to give in to my flaws and vices. I've met other people who do this, don't get me wrong, but I just haven't found any to look up to yet.

And as to Dondrei's last post, that reminded me of a line from iRobot.

"Does believing you're the last sane man on the planet make you crazy?"

19. HockeyChic

HockeyChic Banned

Exactly. I was trying to put my thoughts into words and you pretty much did it.

20. TonoTheHero

TonoTheHero IncGamers Member

I have meet very few that I've come to admire. My taekwondo teacher is trully a Sabumnin, something that encompasses much more than a black belt and is more inspiring than most people. He's come far as a person in many ways.

My favorite can be found on the forums though:kiss: