Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Who is more stupid, the child or the adult?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, Jun 1, 2005.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Who is more stupid, the child or the adult?

Today, I went to an international luncheon at Liam's school. Each child was to bring in a dish from either Africa, the Middle East, Latin America or Asia. The child and parent were supposed to find the recipe and make the dish.

Six of the 30 kids brought in Mexican. Mexican chex mix...golly.

Either the parents or the kids don't know that Mexico is not in Latin America.

Uhh..ok. I can excuse the kids, but the parents should have known better.

One kid brought in egg rolls from a restaurant and his recipe did not match his dish.

I cannot excuse working parents. I work full time and take care of Liam and Samara. She is a handfull alone. Is it that hard to read the paper and do a bit of research and make a dish according to what was requested? Is it that hard to know that Mexico is not part of Latin America?

The best was a curry dish from India...oh god, that was good. The kids didn't like it because even though it was made not very hot, it still had a kick to it.

I made wonton soup and it was gone early. I must say, it was very tasty. I wanted to make something more substantial, but all I know how to make Chinese is very hot, spicy dishes and I didn't think the kids would like it.

2. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Eeek...weelll....if you wanna get technical, Mexico is indeed in Latin America...the mistake was listing Latin American with other regions like Asia and the Middle East--it should have been Central and South America to exclude Mexico, as Mexico is both in Latin America and North America.

LA is kinda a loose term to cover "Latin" countries--arguably parts of the US could be considered Latin America. I know in my Latin American politics and history courses we covered histories of California, New Mexico, Texas, etc, at least as they were relevant to Mexico.

At any rate, I agree that laziness is ridiculous and the parents need to put forth a wee bit more effort. I remember a similar event at my elementary school way back when--some kid brought in the "McRib" from McDonalds as Australian food, since the campaigns for it at the time had an Aussie theme.

3. zodiac66

That is true, it should have been South America..that is the continent they studies. Pehaps we can lump the teacher into that as well.

There were no dishes from Africa. I found that saddening. You have the Chinese food, the Mexican food, a bit of Indian and Jello.

Maybe I just knew what to make because I have helped Liam with his homework and knew what they studied. They didn't touch on Mexico.

I don't know where the Jello was from.

4. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Uh, I don't think I stand with those paragons of intellect, but I don't know what kind of food comes from Africa, either.

Wildebeest steaks?

5. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

6. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

I guess the parents are to blame for lack of research, and maybe one of the points is that its so easy to make mexican food nowadays (put into microwave - done).

Oh, and did anyone come with mongolian food? mongolian barbeque is great!

7. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Yep, Mexico is definitely part of Latin America. We've been studying it lots on my Latin American history class. Like DC said, we also covered Texas and California as they were once part of Mexico.

I have a feeling that African is a little too foreign to pick up and just make an African dish. It may require ingredients one doesn't have in their house, and may never use again. I wouldn't want to go buy spices that I'm only going to use once for an elementary school lunch. Also, if you don't know anything about African food, how can you read a recipe and know it's African? Or what if it calls for something you've never heard of and don't know where to find it?

edit: LorveN, please tell me you are talking about BD's. I don't know if that place is very Mongolian, but it's a fantastic restaurant!

8. LorveN

What on earth is BD's? :teeth:
    Well, checked your personal info page, and since you live in USA, I guess its some food chain or something similar anyway.

To be honest, Its not any BD-thing about the places I talk about, since I live in Stockholm/Sweden, and I was referring to a restaurant named "Mongolian Barbeque", which serves great mongolian meals. Been to a similar type restaurant in Russia too, so there should be some in the states as well ;)
    Worth looking for one, I assure you!

9. zodiac66

I am not Chinese and I was able to read a recipe. I was able to find the ingredients easily (of course, they were not top quality..La Choy soy sauce is lame). If you do a search for African recipes, I am sure there is a whole host of them. I won't mention the fact that there are African-Americans in Liam's class. Even around my little burb, there are African grocers. It doesn't take that much leg work to cook an authentic dish.

It should have been phrased South America. They did NO study of Mexico. I just don't consider Mexico part of what they were studying. Chile, Argentina, Ecuador..yes, Mexico no.

Hell, I should have just gone to Taco Bell and got burritos for everyone if that is the case.

10. AeroJonesy

There's a place here in the States called BD's Mongolian BBQ where they have all sorts of bins of raw meat and veggies, and the all sorts of oils, sauces and spices. Put your stuff in a bowl and hand it to one of the 6 cooks who works on their giant 6 foot diameter circular hot plate. Wait 5 minutes or so, and they hand you your food all nice and cooked. It's an all-you-can-eat kind of place, and it's very tasty, although I don't think it's very Mongolian.

edit: Zodi, you should have told us about the luncheon. I could have pointed you in the direction of a nice arepa recipe. They are made from corn and are a sort of mix between bread and tortillas. They are eaten everywhere in Venezuela, sometimes with meat, cheese, eggs, or jam inside them.

11. zodiac66

That would have been cool AJ. I should have posted about it since there are so many people here that either now or have lived outside the US.

You can still send it to me. I am always willing to try new ethnic recipies.

12. Dutchman

Dutchman IncGamers Member

They weren't allowed to include Dutch food since child obesity is already a problem. Lo Cal schmo Cal we like to say. :)

Dutch

13. AeroJonesy

Well I don't have a specific recipe picked out as I've never actually made them myself. But this site seems to have a good description of how to make them. Most sites will tell you the same thing, I think.

edit: Here's a slightly more detailed site with how to do it. Surprisingly simple, eh?

14. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

A glass of cow blood, obviously. Didn't you watch Survivor: Africa?

15. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Get your facts straight. The Masai mix cow blood with milk.

16. LorveN

It works the same way as my local Mongolian BBQ, except for that my one only has one cook ;)
    It's great!
    I've been to Mongolia once, Transsiberian Railway to Beijing, and when in Mongolia we ate food that tasted that way. (We were at an upper-class restaurant then, so we never saw how they made it, and we ordered from a menu), so I guess its quite Mongolian.

17. greatrambino1981

greatrambino1981 IncGamers Member

African food is great. Especially North African couscous. Those poor kids don't know what they are missing. Someone should have brought in a big pot of kimchi too.

18. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

definetely the adult if you ask me :lol:

19. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

I don't know how much knowledge one can expect a black family to have of authentic African dishes--their families have probably lived in North America for centuries.

In regards to the ease of finding a Chinese recipe, well . . . Chinese food is popular in the U.S, African is not.

20. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Of course not. I had more important things to do; those teenage runaways don't pimp themselves, you know.