Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Who do you think will pay the piper?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Steve_Kow, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Who do you think will pay the piper?

Some of you may recall that I recently attended a hotel party, I don't know if I mentioned that some of the other guests got a little out of hand and trashed the place.

The day after the get together, the police cited the guy (Niles), who was the stupid bastard who signed for the room, with vandalism. The ironic thing is, he didn't break a single thing, and all of the vandalism was done by two other people.

My opinion is, that the two people who actually broke the stuff, should be the ones who paid for it. What do you think Niles should do?

2. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

There's nothing Niles can do besides threaten, or actually harm them if they withold compensation. It's his name on the bill, not theirs, therefore, he is liable.

3. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

well actually there is something he can do, depending on the situation. He can pursue legal action (I dont know how much the bill is, might be ridiculious if it's a small one) if there is any evidence to show liability on the other people's part. This most likely would be fairly impossible without witnesses willing to testify on his behalf. Even with witnesses and such, he would most likely recover only half or possibly two-thirds of the costs, due to his inaction to prevent the damage.

I say have him call the People's Court, and Steve you go as a witness or somethin..an OTF'er on tv...I say tesify it was all Durf's fault

4. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

I don't know how much the bill is, basically...one person tore the phone apart and poured beer into it, a couple lamps were smashed, and a mirror. Realistically it shouldn't be more than $ 100 all said and done, however I get the feeling that the hotel is gonna nail him to the wall, if they can.

5. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Captain of the Ship

As it was his name on the bill, Niles is financially and legally responsible for any damage done to the room while it was in his possession. He can, however, hold the other two parties responsible for repaying him after he has paid off what he owes the hotel.

6. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Yep, I believe that's how it works.

I think it only costs 9 bucks to sue too. At least in Ohio. Of course Niles will have to prove that he was trying to take some sort of action to stop the vandalism or at least prove that there wasn't anything he could do to stop it. Like if he were asleep or something.

7. Captain-Dorf

Captain-Dorf IncGamers Member

Change his name and leave the country.