Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

White wand hlp.

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by timay_006, Feb 20, 2004.

1. timay_006

timay_006 IncGamers Member

White wand hlp.

Does anyone know a quick and easy way to get a good white wand? I'm looking for one that give +2 to spirit or Spear, and also +1 to decp.

thanks,
    despirit necro..

OT. I recentatly traded a Sol, and 2 sheal's for an IO rune...was that a good trade?

and does anyone know where i can get a jah and ber rune real fast? thanks.

2. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

There's no easy way. It's all about luck.

One tip: Don't use any magic find because it lowers your chance for normal and socketed items.

3. Thrakkorzog

Thrakkorzog IncGamers Member

Shop Drognan in act 2 normal. It helps if the game spawns with the doorway leading out of town right next to his shop. Look for the bone wands. White wands can be socketed by larzuk in Harrogath and I think they always get 2 sockets - not to sure beause that is something I read and haven't tried yet.

4. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

Yes it has to be a bone wand.

5. Thanatosia

Thanatosia IncGamers Member

This is something iv'e done many times, and have a lot of experience in, heh.

First, you need to decide what your ealy want out of your wand. There are two basic variants on the 'Ultimate' White wand, the PVM and PVP wands. The Perfect PVM wand has +3 Bone Spear, +3 Teeth, and +3 Clay Golem or Golem Mastery. The Perfect PVP wand has +3 Bone Spirit, +3 Decrypify, and +3 to something else (varies based on exact build). If you are after the Perfect PVP wand, there is'nt much that can be done to help you, its all pure luck of the drop. Minimize your MF to increase your chance of getting a non-magical or 2 socket wand, otherwise, not much you can do.

If you are looking for a PVM wand on the otherhand, you are in luck! Make a game in normal with a character that has a fair amount of spending money (a few hundred thousand gold) and a moderately high CLv, and check the town layout in Act 2. If the Town gate is on the north wall, remake the game. Once you find a game with the towngate on the East wall, next to drogan, its time to start shoping!

The key to shoping drogan, is to get a quick rythm so you can scan many potential wands quickly. First rule is to focus on looking only at his 'bone wands'.... his 'wands' and 'yew wands' are incapable of having the 2 sockets you need. If he does'tn have any that suit your needs, step just far enough out of town that the words 'dry hills' appear on the screen and go back to talk to Drogan again. If you hold out for a totaly perfect bone wand, you'll probably be busy here for a long time. In my experience, with a good rythem and fast scanning, you can usualy find a non-magical or 2sock wand with +3 to spear and two good secondary skills in about 30 to 60 minutes of shoping.

6. Daemonaz

I'm confused. Why does a PVM wand need teeth? I mean that's the most useless spell I can think off but that might be jsut me.

I'd say the perfect PVM wand has +3 Bone Spear +3 Bone Spirit +3 Lower Resist (nice to have for free without investing in all curses).

EDIT: The lower resist is intended for party play. If you don't party play then get something better on it like +3 Golem Mastery or +3 Decreprify.

7. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

I guess you are kinda new to the PvM bonemancer.

Teeth can be extremely useful when you are getting swarmed. It is especially useful when you are getting stair or portal trapped.

8. Daemonaz

Im no fan of Necros indeed but i still say i'd rather have +3 Bone Spirit than + 3 Teeth. If you play PvM you usually play the same areas over, no surprises and you have a Merc to tank for you, and a Golem. I don't know much about Teeth damage and I've read about dentist builds, but it all require a whole lot +Skills.

Also, for a PvM, party playing player, Lower Resist is more useful than Teeth too. But like I said I don't like Necros, and I dislike Bonemancers in particular cause of their idiotic use of Bonewall, which ruins the game for every melee character in the game.

9. wind

wind IncGamers Member

They do not always get two sockets. I learned that the hard way. :rant:

10. timay_006

Thanks for the hlp. I will make a PvM wand, just cuz it's easier to get. And along the way ill keep looking for + to bone spirit and i'll make a new PvP wand. I think that will be the best way to do it.

11. tl998

tl998 Banned

Can drognan sell 2 socket wands naturally, or do we have to socket it ourselves? Is it possible for him to have +3 bone spear wands for sale at act2 normal?

12. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

That's because you've never tried a Fearox in your party :) Seriously: I think all characters can be useful in a party if played right.

13. timay_006

I did one 'run' (i guess ill call it that) and the frist thing i saw was a normal, +3 spear, +1 mage wand....so to answer the question....yes.

14. Thanatosia

Thanatosia IncGamers Member

Are you 100% sure you used a Bone Wand? In my experience, and i've done it about 5 times, Bone Wands will always get 2 sockets from Larzek. I have a few friends who have made bonemancers and shoped Drogan for Bone Wands and have always gotten 2 sockets from Larzek as well. If you mess up and try it with a 'Wand' or 'Yew Wand', Larzek will only give you 1 socket. Usualy Drogan has 2-3 'Wands', 8-12 'Yew Wands', and 3-4 'Bone Wands' in his stock... you should ignore the first two types (wich is unfortunately the vast majority of his inventory) and just look at the row of Bone Wands as those are the only ones usable for white.

Anyhow, If your are a moderately high level, the Wands sold by Drogan have 1 to 3 random skills with a lv requirement of 24 or less. This means Drogans wands will never have Bonuses to Bone Spirit, Poison Nova, Lower Resist, Fire Golem, or Revive unfortunately.... any other Necro skill can be found on them however. Each skill will have a random bonus of 1-3... so it is possible to find a wand with +3 to three skills from Drogan, but its very very very unlikely, and even more unlikely for those 3 skills to be useful.

As for Teeth, if you are making a pure non-cheese Necro, its probably not worth it. If on the otherhand you are making use of the Morrowalk Bug, you can afford to max teeth and all its other synergies, making it a very potent spell that can clear many areas far faster then spear can by virtue of its wider area of destruction. If they ever fix the Morrowalk bug, Teeth will probably be a much less useful spell, Spear is good enough to operate without it, I dont think the same of teeth, wich gets a much larger synergy bonus from the bug.

Also, if you dont like Bone Necros because of the walls, you should look into investing a bit into clay golem. With a halfway decent clay golem, you rarely ever need to use your wall/prison spells, I almost never do. Another option is the Skelebone Hybrid. Skeletons dont need 20pts into Undead Mastery if you just need them to be tanks... if you max the Raise Skeleton skill but leave the mastery at 1pt, your skeletons will have very near the toughness of a zoomancers minions, they just wont do any damage (but thats your job with the bone spells anyhow, you just want them to run interference). The White runeword works great with the SkeleBone Hybrid - esp if you shop for a wand with bonuses to raise skeleton in addition to bone spear - and the Morrowalk saves a ton of skillpts to invest in the raise skeleton skill while simultaneously givng your minions a 2pt boost to their neglected mastery.

15. Origin

Origin IncGamers Member

O_O NGH!! dont use larzuk for socketing white wands for the love of god!!! use the socketing receipt..!! well unless you find a really godly white wand and dont think the 5/6 chance of getting 2 sockets are enough..

edit: oh and if all you want is bonespear then akara is a better choice i thinks

16. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Not really. Akara @ Normal mostly sells regular wands and yew wands. Both can only get one socket.

And in fact there are a myriad of different skill setups that can be defended as being good "Whitables" as long as they have +3 Bone Spear.

For other mods think about what skills you often use besides.

Do you use Bone Spirit for bosses? Then try to get a +spear +spirit one.

Do you find yourself using Decrepify a lot? find a +spear +decrep.

Want your clay golem to actually survive now and then? Get a +spear + Clay Golem (or Golem Mastery)

Are you one of those rare "skeleboners"? Get a +spear +Skeleton Mastery and reap an obscene +7 Skeleton Mastery.

17. Daemonaz

True :) It's just that I get tired of those Bonemancers filling the throne room with walls while my Zealot stands there and can't move anymore!

18. wind

wind IncGamers Member

I took a look to see if I still had it. It was there and you're right, it was a yew wand.

Oooooops! :stoned:

19. warlock_666

warlock_666 IncGamers Member

it doesnt HAVE to be a bone wand to get 2 sockets. whenever i find wands i like the look of i always check here:

http://www.diabloii.net/items/sockets-list.shtml

i find it very useful for alot of things.

O yea i already have a +2 bone spirit white wans and about a week ago i found a wand with +3 bone spear and +1 lower resist, which now has 2 sockets :D