Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

White paper: Bush and science.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Underseer, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

White paper: Bush and science.

Somehow the crowd around here strikes me as the types likely to enjoy dry boring academic papers.

Yes, this is critical of Bush and if that bothers you, don't read the report.

I haven't finished reading it myself, so I'm not going to offer commentary just yet.

Scientific Integrity in Policymaking: An Investigation into the Bush Administration's Misuse of Science (link)

List of signatories. Quite a few Nobel lauriates on that list.

Abstract:

2. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

From the exec summary of your article

Being a scientist by profession and training, I could probably state a few hundred words about this subject. Most of the them, however, would probably be deleted by the word filter.
    :rant: :(

3. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Before people get their panties in a bunch and dismiss this as some sort of liberal conspiracy, allow me to quote a part of the white paper which is quite relevant

Make sure you understand this, it's not about politics. It is about the Bush adminstration fudging data, omitting data, changing data, and replacing scientists who disagree in order to get favorable, vanilla results and keep the largely uninformed public in the dark with respect to their health and environment.

Fair warning, I'll just cut and paste the, 'it's not about politics bit' over and over as soon as anyone tries to shift the focus to politics and the blame to Clinton.

4. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

For what it's worth.

Make of it what you will.

Here is the article to save people some time:

In February, the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) released a report accusing the Bush administration of systemically suborning objective science to a political agenda. However, it failed to describe the political biases of those making the charges, which raise serious questions about the credibility of the charges and the organization behind them.

The UCS has a long history of liberal positions and liberal activism, so its attack against the administration was hardly a surprise. However, the report was accompanied by a letter signed by 62 distinguished members of the academy -- including 20 noble laureates, 19 winners of the National Medal of Science and several science advisers to previous presidents -- who charged that the administration had "manipulated the process through which science enters into its decisions" and "misrepresented scientific knowledge and misled the public about the implications of its policies."

The pedigrees of the signatories appeared to make them above partisanship, especially since they were identified only by their areas of expertise and schools of affiliation. Subsequent news stories and editorials picked up that theme.

That supposed objectivity was an illusion. Many of the signatories have a demonstrated bias against the administration, several have a direct stake in UCS and its ongoing campaign, Restoring Scientific Integrity in Policymaking.

Although they were never identified as such in the letter, four signatories -- Thomas Eisner, Richard Garwin, Anne Kapuscinsky and Kurt Gottfried -- are current members of the UCS Board. For instance, Mr. Gottfried, the chairman, was simply denoted as "Theoretical Nuclear and Particle Physics, Cornell University."

Almost half of the signatories have donated to Democratic candidates and left-wing interest groups. For instance, David Baltimore, Noble laureate and president of the California Institute for Technology, gave $2,500 to the Committee for a Democratic Majority, $1,000 to Friends of Max Baucus and $300 to the Democratic National Committee. Dr. Harold Varmus, former director of the National Institutes of Health and CEO of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Center, gave $2,000 to Clark for President and $500 to the DSCC. (See FEC Web site.)

The administration is expected to release a formal response to the substance of the signatories' charges soon. Given the questionable objectivity and evident political agenda of many of those who made the original allegations, the White House response should be persuasive -- if late.

5. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

I make it an ad hominem attack in an op-ed piece from a consevative newspaper. No mention of science, only the political views of the scientists. Do I get to wear the long-hair, dirty commie hat?

I emboldened a bit of the quote, just in case the editorial board of the Times browses this forum. Lousy journalism majors, never taking science courses.

6. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

not that I wish to stem the tide of righteous indignation, but isn't this all rather old news? I am pretty sure I remember a similar story months ago.

7. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Yuppers, SZ. But we want righteous indignation, dammit! Or is that lefist indignation? :scratch:

In fact, I think I may have actually made a thread about the relaxation of Hg emission standards a while back. And we've been going round on the global warming thing quite a bit.

8. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

Yep, you did macool, which unsurprisingly went pretty much over my head ;). And even I have made a thread about Global Warming, which shows just how much it has been overdone.

9. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Oh blah, this surprises nobody. Bush has merrily bent the FDAs decisions to come in line with his religious beliefs and has by his own admission replaced members of a scientific review board because they didn't agree with him. Now he wants controls on IVF to prohibit reproductive cloning, but I think we can agree that he'll try to make this into a way to keep the queers from breeding.