Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Whirlwind barb - act 2 interno (video)

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by aerial, May 28, 2012.

1. aerial

aerial IncGamers Member

Excuse poor quality and lack of editing (slow upload internet, wanted it compressed as much as possible).

[video=youtube;ci1pRxzYwDs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci1pRxzYwDs[/video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci1pRxzYwDs

build:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WhiPVk!bVZ!cbYcZc

items: http://i.imgur.com/Hkokm.jpg

stats:
    52k hp
    800-900 all resists (buffed)
    10k def (with enchantress)
    block chance 46%
    melee damage reduction 22%
    16k dps in town (buffed with battle rage, maniac frenzy and berserker - 32k) weapon 780dps sword
    33% criical hit chance unbuffed (+56 with revenge, battle rage and berserker)
    210% critical hit damage

How does it work? Whirlwind with 'blood funnel' rune heals 1% of max health per each critical hit that lands (afaik there is no penalty for it, unlike for life on hit or external life leech, which don't regen listed hp, it depends on skill (each has individual penalty), or difficulty (80% penalty for inferno life leech). So that 1% is not that low, given how often whirlwind hits.
    To keep on whirling, we need fury generation, lots of it, there comes battle rage rune 'into the fray', which grants 15 fury per crit. With just a couple of enemies it provides unlimited whirlwind (even vs single target we can whirl much longer).
    Another bonus is frenzy with maniac, we get 20% damage with fully charged frenzy, and we can just land one frenzy hit every couple of seconds, to sustain that bonus (that boosts our all attacks, including whirlwind). Frnzy also generates fury if we fight vs single target, and is our main skill then.
    Revenge is not used as main healer here, 'best served cold' rune, grants 10% crit chance for 12s, which is ideal for this build. We still have tha panic healing button, but rather use this for crit bonus. Even if you have revenge ready to use, hold it, till 12s crit bonus timer is almost finished, then use it. More crit, means more healing via ww blood funnel.
    Now last part, wrath of the berserker with 'thrive on chaos' rune. Unlike most barb, who pick insanity rune (100% damage bonus for 15s) i find it not that great. Main problem is, monsters in later inferno acts have so much health, we are unable to kill them within 15s of insanity duration. And then we lose all wotb bonuses (dodge, speed, crit), but not just that, the most important, unlisted bonus - immunity to crowd control effects, while under berserk form. It makes us impossible to freeze, teleport, lock by jail monster, and fear doesn't work against us. It makes battles a lot easier, against most annoying combos of elite traits. The idea is, to increase duration of berserker, through entire battle. This skill is nearly impossible to sustain during normal play, because we can't charge it up, we can only turn back duration while fighting. If there are big gaps between monsters on map, we will lose the bonus. But if we fight elite pack, we can sustain wotb, as we have targets to hit. Whirlwind is great fury sink (16 per spin), and we regen huge amounts of fury, via critical hits. That really works with 'thrive on chaos' rune, we need just 2-3 enemies, with more crit gear later on, it can probably work even vs single target.
    As for passive, you can switch to mastery, use it with axe for 10 more crits (I have sword on barb so decided to use ruthless). Two defensive passives, later with better armors, we can probably exchange one with weapon mastery/ruthless if we get enough defense (if there is such thing).

On a side note, you need decent gear for this barb to work, pretty much same as "boring" revenge tank builds, and some more crit chance on it, so it is even more expensive. But it as result we get faster, and better character, and most importantly more interesting to play, we can use classic barbarian trademark skill - whirlwind.
    it has also tons of room for improvements, more critical chance we collect, the better it works, mainly heals us faster.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2012
  2. KTang

KTang <font color="#93ad4f">Official Diablo 3 Item Value

Re: Whrilwind barb - act 2 interno (video)

Something to look forward to when I roll my barb.

Thank you for this, I liked it. Shame about the financial costs.

KT

3. betazoid

betazoid IncGamers Member

Very nice. Finally build that doesn't look boring! Too bad I personally don't have items to create this yet.

4. bollen

bollen IncGamers Member

Very nice, doing a similar build myself that does decent in act 1 inferno. Unfortunately I cant afford any of the items you're using so I have to switch out some skills for more defensive ones.

5. bud

bud IncGamers Member

This is extremely similar to my own build, but i am still in nightmare :) But the synergy is definetly there. The only difference between your build and mine is that i am using overpower with the crit chance rune, as i dont really need a defensive buff yet and the damage rune for frenzy has not yet unlocked for me.

6. Googolplex

Googolplex IncGamers Member

Great build.

Good to see barbs being creative and making things work instead of crying.

7. fsj

fsj IncGamers Member

I agree it is a fun looking build! The issue with "crying" barbs is that getting the 10k armour, 52k hp and 800-900 resists is the very very tough part. With those stats you can make a lot of builds work, not to take anything from the OP as I very much want to try this build, when my items allow it.

Please note I'm not one of the crying barbs I'm having a great time. I actually think our class needs some work but im in no rush to reach A4 and I'm very much enjoying farming Act 1 inferno trying to get gear to take me to the next level!

8. MartyrOz

MartyrOz IncGamers Member

This is awesome - I love it!

Keen to try it. I have close to acceptable stats (59K HP, 400 resist all, 9k armour - all unbuffed). I clearly need a few hundred more resist all.

Also I am going to need more crit and block %. I thought I had a godly shield but it seems that block chance and block value are far more important than I first thought.

I'm going to add two pics, 1 is the godly gloves I crafted that will work great with this build. 2 is the 'godly' shield I thought I had :( Still good I guess - just not for this type of build.

I really look forward to working towards this type of build!

9. VagrantKing

VagrantKing IncGamers Member

tbh, I think most builds will work with stat like those... pretty godly

The biggest drawback of any build in inferno is getting the proper gear

10. bollen

bollen IncGamers Member

I haven't tried crafting yet, which recipe, if any, did you use for those gloves?

11. Misiek000

Misiek000 IncGamers Member

Is this working as good in act 3, please post video if possible. Thank you

12. Sentarius

Sentarius IncGamers Member

Loved WW in DII....might try this once I am higher level. (Just finished normal.)

13. Ixnatifual

Ixnatifual IncGamers Member

Wouldn't stuff die much faster if you just spammed Revenge? Especially if you took Provocation so it could be used more often? Your Revenge seems to do astronomically more damage than many seconds of Whirlwinding.

14. Draner

Draner IncGamers Member

Interesting build but could it work as well without these godly items? Also why don't you drop one of your 2 armor-generating passive for weapon master either with axe/mace to get +10% crit or mighty to get 3 fury per hit?

15. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

This look hugely fun. :)

16. Grayson Carlyle

Grayson Carlyle IncGamers Member

Revenge would be better in the bigger packs, but having similar gear to him (more resists and str but lower crit, since I wasn't going for a crit build) in Act II, Revenge doesn't do nearly as well as Whirlwind does on the champ packs. Whirlwind I think is also the only way to make Thrive on Chaos work, which adds huge advantages for champs. Perhaps he's using WW on the large easy packs simply because it's more fun than Revenge spam, even though it would be better in those cases. Either way, it's a really versatile build, one I'd like to try, but would require a huge change in my gear.

17. Volpula

Volpula IncGamers Member

This build is great I tried this on my barb as soon as I saw your but my crappy gear cant handle boss packs. I clear inferno act really easily but when i step into act 2 i get one shotted. I have butcher under 2 min achi etc. Great build!

18. Kblavkalash

Kblavkalash IncGamers Member

wow. You kept WotB for nearly a minute? o_O that's just amazing. WW really hits so many times in second.

My question: does ww hit more if you have higher attack speed?

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  19. Doppel

Doppel Banned

Man, this is a nicely build Barbarian. Congrats. My gear is the absolute suxxors compared to yours though, but it's still costing me an arm and a leg. I also really like the Helm of Command, i have one but not nearly as good as yours, the one you have must be worth a lot. Another item mod you might want to look into is life on hit. I have about 500, which isn't much, but it's noticable with Frenzy, especially if you already have a fast natural attack and use WotB. I'm assuming it to also be pretty good with Whirlwind.
    Act 2 is just a ridiculously frustrating pain in the *** for me, i'm really losing the will to continue and i'm sick of farming crap gear in Act 1, sigh...

20. SantanaK

SantanaK IncGamers Member

Your gear is amazing, which is the only reason why you can actually pull this off.

But, this build is also amazing. Synergizes so well, uses WW, and running WotB forever like that? Awesome.