Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Whirlwind Axe Barb Weapon Discussion

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Smips, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

Whirlwind Axe Barb Weapon Discussion

I started an axe barb earlier today and I was hoping someone could give me some advice on my idea for the build. Skills and stats will be pretty standard, but I'm more concerned about my mid and late game weapons.

When I hit lvl 25, I'm going to make a "Strength" in a Gothic Axe. I'm hoping this will last me until I hit 42, when I'll switch to a Boneslayer Blade. I may socket that with an Amn for some extra LL, but I'm unsure about that right now.

For my end game weapon, I want to make an "Oath" in an eth Decapitator(which I have to find). From what I see, Decapitators have the best average damage, but slower attack speed. Would a Glorious Axe be better here maybe since the base attack speed is faster?

I'd like to keep the idea of using a 2 handed axe, but if using two one handed ones would be significantly better, I could make "Oath" in one of them. Any advice would be great; this will be the first barb I make that actually stands a chance of finishing the Hell =P.

2. Vang

Vang IncGamers Member

Re: Whirlwind Axe Barb Weapon Discussion

Champion Axe and Feral Axe both can hit the Last Whirlwind breakpoints, unlike the Glorious or Decapitator. I would go with either of those over the other two.

But if you are set in stone, go with Glorious Axe, it has a range of 4 compared to range of 3 of all the others. With only a 92 vs 93 average damage.

3. Throndhart

Throndhart IncGamers Member

Alternatively, dual wielding Berserker axes would be a good way to go, if you have decent axes (cruel berserkers, some good runeword or the like). They are fairly rare, though, so good luck hunting.

4. Neksja

Neksja IncGamers Member

Okay, been toying in my head with a WW-barb using two 1-handed weapons. You say BA's are good, but could I make one using two DC's? Just wondering what to do with those axes... :scratchchin:

sorry Smips for hijacking your thread :) (maybe we get some useful answer to you too)

5. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

Haha, it's no problem; I think I'm going to go with a Feral Axe. Unless I get my hands on two eth 4os Berserker Axes and make two "Oaths". More expensive, a little ridiculous, and highly unlikely though. Oh well, barbs tend to move slow for me, so we'll see what I find by the time I need it.

6. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

@Neksja: Death Cleaver's one of the best possible choices. Have at it. =).

@Smips: IK Set is better. But anyway, going 2 handed is stylish. Good luck!

7. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

I agree, but axes give me style points :thumbup: .

8. Throndhart

Throndhart IncGamers Member

I´ll second the suggestion of death cleaver as your weapon of choice. As an alternative, rune master´s sockets can be used for some extra punch and weapon speed (remember that only weapon IAS counts for purposes of whirlwind attack speed). Executioner´s justice isn´t a bad choice either, though it won´t attack just as fast, and therefore you´ll need shorter whirls to get the most of it.

9. Immortal_Slayer

Immortal_Slayer IncGamers Member

You might be in for a lot of repair trips while using DCs though Neksja, due to their o so grand durabiility of 26 ...

10. UberDeath

UberDeath IncGamers Member

Man, I am having alot of troubles with my WW barb. I need to deal more damage as I'm only lvl 22 and I need a good 1 handed axe to go with my shield. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :)

P.S. This is my first ever char in D2 and I'm using a lvling guide so no twinking here!

11. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

@smips
    For the mid-game axe, I'd personally look at an Honor runeword before Strength - less crushing blow, but more damage. Getting a 5os axe will be a little harder than a 2os one though.

@UberDeath
    For now, drop the shield and go with dual-weilding - that'll be quite a bit more damage. Try to get some lifeleech (save your rubies for gem-shrines, and try to craft Blood gloves/rings/helms/armour) and some manaleech.

12. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Around this level, I usually use Steel flail (even if I want to go with another mastery later) or 2h axe like sirpoopsalot suggested. Broad axe in act 2, later Great axe or Giant axe, usually Steel runeword again. Alternatively, you can make savage partizan with savage polearm horadric cube recipe iirc, you can use it from lvl 25.
    You don't need a shield in normal.