Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Whiffmancer - Missing the broad side of the barn

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by NorrYtt, Mar 10, 2004.

1. NorrYtt

NorrYtt IncGamers Member

Whiffmancer - Missing the broad side of the barn

Commandomancer lvl 48

Equipment
    Sander's Taboo
    Coldkill
    Wall of the Eyeless
    Rare Amulet - +1 Poison & Bone Skills, +4 NRG, +10 Life, +15% ResAll
    Hwanin's Blessing
    Rare Greaves - +20% RW, +30% FireRes
    2 Rare Rings - +~100 AR, +5 STR, +10% MF
    Rare Circlet - +7-30 Cold Dmg, +14 NRG, Replenish Life +10, ColdRes +37%, FireRes +11%, DR -2
    2 Charms - +10% R/W
    Switch - Gnarled Staff of Teleportation (33 Charges)

Stats
    STR 100
    DEX 35
    VIT 155
    NRG 25

Skills
    20 Skelez
    9 SkeleMas
    1 all other summon skills
    1 BA
    1 BW
    1 CE
    1 PD, 1 PE, 1 PN
    1 in all curses minus the left AI curses, 1 DV

The problem is when I got to nightmare my Attack Rating went from 95% hitting things to about 50% hitting things. Did I complete screw this char up? What can I do? I don't have good enough AR or Resists. Can I pump PD to get the AR bonus and help Poison Nova in the meantime?

I found a Sigon's Guard and Magefist as well. When things get hairy I back off and go into caster mode, spamming Decrep, PN, CE, and quaffing pots.

Help?

2. HarbingersOfSouls

HarbingersOfSouls IncGamers Member

Need dexerity...no dex you whiff...you whiff 3 times...you strike out...then go to the bench.

HoSv2

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Two things you can do. Pump Dex. Or get Angelic Halo + Angelic Wings.

4. NorrYtt

NorrYtt IncGamers Member

Dex?

I somehow gathered from the forums that Necros pumping Dex isn't a good thing. Get 4 AR per point and you're better off getting AR charms?

I had planned on using Poison Nova as my secondary, and after Nova I max Poison Dagger for my AR bonus and Poison Nova damage bonus, but it seems I need the AR bonus now and not later.

Ideally I'll be wielding a Beast Runeword Maul so I'll need big strength and max block is a non issue because I'm not using a shield.

Maybe I'll find out this is a good way to get killed in Hell?

5. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Pumping dex a bit is helpful, since you will need some for equipment and because PDagger uses your dex for the +AR%. Still Wings + Halo = AR (or an angel).

And some criticism. Not enough BA and synergies to last long in Hell. And why use a maul, when there are weapons out there that attack faster?

6. NorrYtt

NorrYtt IncGamers Member

Well I'll find out the hard way in Hell pretty soon. The guide recommends 1 point BA so that's part of the plan. After this char I'll probably make a better planned one since I'll be more used to melee'ing with a necro. One thing I noticed is how tiny radius lvl 1 Dim Vision is; I instead use lvl 1 Terror on scary archer/gloams which does basically the same thing, except they are further away when they wake back up. All the points in Skeleton and SM mean I can't be a true meleemancer and have to forgo some skills, but the 1.10 skelez are wrecking in /players8 Nightmare.

I had a high damage Maul earlier and I was doing great. Play goes like Decrep, PN, swing, swing, Decrep, PN, swing, swing. Big physical damage meant my leech and Hand of Broc filled my orbs enough to maintain pace, and quaffing pots only during stages of summoning. I'm not sure if anything other than Clay Golem is necessary since Fire Golem has sparked way too many LE bosses for comfort and Iron Golem is really only a fun alternative to selling deprecated rares. I do like the weak but few Mages for the either poison to stop regen or cold for chill. Mage is only 9 mana right now and useful for body disposal.

I didn't think I'd have the dex req for a faster swing weapon.

7. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

In Kbob's guide, it suggested either enough dex for your weapon OR for max block. The higher your dex...the better your hit rate will be.

It's like making a zon, and nothing adding to dex... Kind of defeats the purpose. I would suggest going with the max block, because it also helps your hitting also(so you won't be whiffing as much)

It is a very good build, and your not too late to increase you dex also.

HoS

8. NorrYtt

NorrYtt IncGamers Member

I'm pumping dex now. I also found a Nagelring, Wormskull, and this unique bow that fires explosive piercing arrows with lots of fire damage. Needless to say I was really happy that a Wormskull dropped for my Commandomancer.

He should be fine now. I hope I can find the necessary runes for the auraesque equipment needs.

9. HarbingersOfSkulls

I hear ya...I'm only missing mal and ber for mine.

HoSv1

10. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

The Angelic combo really helps. Wear Sigons helm+shield for more AR per level.

11. MelFrank

MelFrank IncGamers Member

Try to get a Demon Limb Tyrant Club, it's got slvl23 Enchant which IIRC adds +218% AR.
    The strength requirement is kind of high, but a Hel rune would take care of that is need be.

Mel

12. TheKbob

TheKbob IncGamers Member

:gloat:

Wow, people are doing my build, makes me happy :thumbsup:

Yes, you do need Dex. For later gear Ravenfrosts are good additions. For cheaper necros, IK boots + IK Gaunts (these def need to be added in the guide) and even IK belt will make great AR bonus's.

Yes, Up PD, but save it for last. At lower levels, you should be also more a Summoner than Meleemancer. Remember he is a balance between Melee and Summoner, and this is when the Auramancer builds the power of both halves.

It's like have the Yin, the Yang, and giant keg to reach that "Nirvana" :drool:

I feel the Psn points were kinda wasted. only PD should be used and maxed only for the AR bonus.

Any more help, I'm here.

~Kbob

13. HarbingersOfSkulls

To be blessed by the author himself in this thread...should mean something :scratch:

Oh ya.....time to :drink:

HoSv1