Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

which theory do u believe in?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Fallen_62, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Fallen_62

Fallen_62 IncGamers Member

which theory do u believe in?

it was brought up in the black hole thread... so, do u believe in the big bang theory or do u think that a god (or gods) created the universe, the world, us, etc...

as for myself... it used to be a god, but then i started asking questions about him/it, and now i believe more in the big bang theory and evolution...

and from anakha123456789's comment in the black hole thread, we might have had this discussion before, so if we did, let me know, and we can have a mod remove it if people want...

2. Intolerance

Intolerance IncGamers Member

Durf, this is all your fault.

3. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Why are you trying to limit God?

If you believe in God, then you can accept that he can create however he wants to.

God and evolution are not mutually exclusive.

4. Fallen_62

see, after i started to ask questions and got no real answers, i was duobting if there was one or not... i honestly have no idea if there is or not... some things make sense, while others just dont... hence agnosticism

i agree with u, to a point... science is not a horrible way to look at things... i love looking at things scientifically, and i just cant quite grasp the idea that a being just up and waved his hand and there we were

5. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

The whole idea of this is mind boggling, in all honesty. I believe in the big bang and the big crunch theory, in respects to the new research, I would also say that the whole universe being torn to shreds in 30 billion years another possibility. Universe expands, universe retracts, process starts over again.

The whole idea this brings to mind is just how long this has been going on... how many "Big Bangs" have there been? And for us to think that a God created all of the universe, it makes me wonder. Are we so special that God created our universe just for us, forsaking any other forms of life? If there was a race of alien beings that conquested other planets, would they not have been made and blessed by God? Does God only recognize Earth creatures, and Humans? And only straight humans and religious people who believe in him, at that? I've been told I was going to hell for not believing in God, and it got a few laughs from me.

I personally believe it's all science, from start to finish. It's a pretty horrible way to look at things, because I do wish there was more magic and fantasy in this world, but alas there is not.

6. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

Evolution has absolutely nothing to do with the Big Bang theory.

7. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

That's true only if you confine your definition to the animal kingdom. If you accept that the Universe has changed over time, then the Big Bang theory is perfectly acceptable in the context of the evolution of the Universe.

8. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

I believe the universe was created via the Big Bang. As far fetched as that theory may sometimes sound, I find it infinitely more believeable than any theory which suggests a god or higher power or supernatural whatever had anything to do with it.

9. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

The "proof" is actually pretty outstanding. Universe expanding, speed at which universe is expanding is increasing, ect... I'm starting to believe the big crunch more and more.

10. Fallen_62

whats the big crunch? never heard of that one before?

11. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

You could sort of counter that by saying the universe is actually doing the opposite of evolving. The stars are blinking out, galaxies are dying, we're possibly 30 billion years away from destruction...

You could see the universe being at it's peak when it's in the form of the huge gas ball before the big bang, and after a big bang, the only thing the Universe is doing is falling from it's ladder, only to hit the ground and reach the top again.

:scratch:

12. Munch

Munch IncGamers Member

No. That's an incredibly confounded definition of evolution. It's also self-contradictory. The universe, by definition, is inclusive of all of creation. There are not multiple universes, as far as we know or can predict. Evolution implies that there is some sort of competion - and if the universe changes by some sort of evolutionary process, it must be competing with other universes. If you want to use that term, you'd have to apply a lot of conditionals and explanations.

Is this more accurate:

The Big Bang theory has nothing to do with the theory of evolution.

13. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

From my understanding, it's like a rubberband. First you have the big bang. The universe starts expanding, creating galaxies, ect.

After some point after expanding at a rapid rate, the universe then slows down and stops.

After that, everything is pulled back into the middle as fast as it expanded at it's highest point. Don't worry, by this time pretty much all the stars will have died out. Anyways, the whole universe is pulled back to it's starting point... and a few billion years later, another big bang.

Edit: I like Munch's explanation much better than mine. :thumbsup:

14. toader

toader Banned

I believe in evolution, and I also believe in the Big Bang theory. But I beleive that it was the work of God.

I dont think that the universe goes on a contract and expand cycle. I think that it is constantly expanding. There is really no reason for it to contract. It is hard to fathom the infinity of the universe, that is unless you beleive in multiple universess and they expand into one another...which I dont really think is true.

15. toader

toader Banned

Found this article.....it covers alot of what were talking about here:

That should clear it up for you.

16. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

Well if this were true, and the universe was expanding indefinately (which it's not) then we would pretty much totally die off. Once all the stars blink out and die, the universe will be one cold and lonely place because not much would survive. But given the idea of everything being litterally torn to shreds in 30 billion years, I doubt there is need for the stars to blink out to kill us.

There is a real good reason for it to contract, and that is to start the cycle again. What good is an empty, dead, cold universe? To give another universe a chance. It totally makes sense. And the phrase "was the work of God" makes me cringe. I hate it when religion mixes with science. They just do not go together.

17. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

I think the big bang theory proves the god theory.

Edit: well it doesnt prove anything, but it gives a good enough excuse.

18. Smelly

Smelly IncGamers Member

How? What good excuse is there? What makes God immune to the effects of the Big Bang and the Big Crunch? Why can't God be sucked into a black hole? Oh, that's right... now I remember.

19. toader

toader Banned

What proof do you have that the universe isnt expanding indefinatly? Its fine if you think that the universe isnt expanding indefinatly, you you cant just say "its not." New stars can be born, new galaxies and solar system made, there is no need for it to contract. I do understand the crunch theory of contraction, its just not what I beleive. Because of the fact that stars can form inside galaxies and solar systems around those stars, I dont think the universe will ever be a "empty, cold, dead" place.

And my phrase, "work of God"....I dont really care if it makes you cringe. There is no reason that science cant mix with religion. It is pigheaded and stubborn to think that they cant. If you are atheist, fine, then you dont beleive in any religion at all...so it CANT mix in your world, because it doesnt exist. But there are many of us who beleive that "science" is a term that has been put on the works of God, they are one in the same.

20. toader

toader Banned

You're assuming that God has a mass and a density, and that in heavenly plane of existence that things follow the same laws of physics as they do in our world. Noone knows.