Which skill to release charges?

MissErica

Diabloii.Net Member
Which skill to release charges?

I am creating a Phoenix Strike Assasin, with points into Fists of Fire and Claws of Thunder, to get more damage out of my Phoenix Strike. I was wondering which skill worked best to release my charges. Should I go with Dragon Flight or Dragon Tail? This is a claw/shield Assasin by the way.

Silent Shaddow

Diabloii.Net Member
Dtail,
only ever use Dflight for movement and dont max it,
other than that dtalon is always good but does add as much dmg or have the blast effect of the dtail :rolleyes:

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Normal Attack.

Why? It's the fastest finishing attack in the game. Since the physical damage isn't that important for a Phoenixsin, you should be concerned about speed, so that you can get back to charging and releasing faster.

MissErica

Diabloii.Net Member
Normal Attack.

Why? It's the fastest finishing attack in the game. Since the physical damage isn't that important for a Phoenixsin, you should be concerned about speed, so that you can get back to charging and releasing faster.
Hmmm, I don't quite understand how the attack is any faster. Do you think my points would be better used in Claw Mastery, rather than in a finishing move?:scratch: It seems like my attack rating would be pretty low if using the normal attack.

Kijya

Diabloii.Net Member
Normal attack can indeed be fastest with the right ias (7 frame max iirc, easy with BoS), but you don't get any ar bonuses, so unless you have ITD it's a bit less attractive. still if you've got no probs hitting then this is the best choice for multiple charge+release in a fast series.
When charging claws of thunder, dtail can let you hit the moster you target better (nextdeley screws a bit with CoT on the monster you directly target, but knockback from dtail fixes it).
Dflight should only be used for releasing, when you wan't to lad the charges on a specific target or in a specific area a bit away, also good for releasing the charges of your master. It's not like you should use it when releasing on something right next to you.

Dtail gives some safty too because of the ae knockback.

BIGeyedBUG

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmmm, I don't quite understand how the attack is any faster. Do you think my points would be better used in Claw Mastery, rather than in a finishing move?:scratch: It seems like my attack rating would be pretty low if using the normal attack.
It's not as bad as it seems because all the charges also give an AR bonus to the release. Still, AR would be an issue you'd have to address. CM is one way, so is CoS, an eth rune, Enchant, a BA or Rogue merc, etc.

Personally I like Normal Attack a lot for this, but if were going for pure practicality, I'd use a 1 point Talon or Dtail as my primary. You should put one point in all the finishers, so you can try each of them and see which you like.

My personal favorite primary finisher is Dclaw, but that doesn't help you much.

MissErica

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the advice. I think I will just stick with the normal attack for now. Maybe later I'll place some points into Dragon Tail if I feel the need to increase my attack rating.

Speedasin

Diabloii.Net Member
Isn't Dragon Claw 5 frames? Dtalon is 7 frames with 3 frame follow up kicks in case you miss to release the charge.

Kijya

Diabloii.Net Member
Isn't Dragon Claw 5 frames? Dtalon is 7 frames with 3 frame follow up kicks in case you miss to release the charge.
dclaw is 5 frames per claw at highest speed, so 10 frames total, sure you get two hits, but only one release and normal with it's 7 frames could have been faster.

But I rather like dclaw, big ar boost and some more damage, but as this is for a claw/sheild sin it can ofc not be used :undecided:

uncountednose

Diabloii.Net Member
dclaw is 5 frames per claw at highest speed, so 10 frames total, sure you get two hits, but only one release and normal with it's 7 frames could have been faster.

But I rather like dclaw, big ar boost and some more damage, but as this is for a claw/sheild sin it can ofc not be used :undecided:
now i'm confused. according to the in game skill tree dragon claw gives charged up bonuses to both attacks or i quote:

"slice and dice your enemies
with your dual claw-class weapons
adds charged-up bonuses to both claw attacks"

does this only apply to things like cobra strike or tiger srike? i realize that releasing dual elemental charges can run into next delay issues but according to the game it should release twice, right?

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
It's not as bad as it seems because all the charges also give an AR bonus to the release. Still, AR would be an issue you'd have to address. CM is one way, so is CoS, an eth rune, Enchant, a BA or Rogue merc, etc.
According to the Assassin FAQ, AR bonuses only apply when you're actually using the charge up skills- they do not apply to any finishing attack you might use.

now i'm confused. according to the in game skill tree dragon claw gives charged up bonuses to both attacks or i quote:

"slice and dice your enemies
with your dual claw-class weapons
adds charged-up bonuses to both claw attacks"

does this only apply to things like cobra strike or tiger srike? i realize that releasing dual elemental charges can run into next delay issues but according to the game it should release twice, right?
The game lies- and frequently, at that. Dragon Claw releases *ALL* charges of the two attacks, and only on the first of the two attacks.

BIGeyedBUG

Diabloii.Net Member
According to the Assassin FAQ, AR bonuses only apply when you're actually using the charge up skills- they do not apply to any finishing attack you might use.
The skill AR bonuses of the charges only apply to themselves, however there is a separate bonus applied to the finisher for each charge that is active. I believe it's 50%.

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
The skill AR bonuses of the charges only apply to themselves, however there is a separate bonus applied to the finisher for each charge that is active. I believe it's 50%.
Handy. I'm assuming that applies to any finisher, including Normal Attack?