Which Shield For My ES/Light Sorc?

aZNx05J3

Diabloii.Net Member
Which Shield For My ES/Light Sorc?

Okay so I maxed Lightning, LM, CL, and CB and TK. I have no points into ES (I know, weird) and 1 point into Warmth.

Well I have Max Res in Hell, 75% Block when I use Whistan's, 60 FHR, I reach the last BP for Lightning (117 FCR), and I have 1,416 Life and 2970+ Mana after BO. I do 28k Damage Lightning and my ES Absorbs 87%.

So basically, I'm wondering, since I only have space for 1 more Kite Shield-already have a 3 Lo and 3 Vex so that's covered-which Runes should I stick in my last Kite Shield.

1)3 Surs-Good against FBers and Light Sorcs and other High Damaging Casters since some of them can wipe out my 3K Mana in about 1 hit.
2)3 Jahs-Good for Nec's (Don't take out alotta Mana) and WWSins (Basically all their dmg passes through ES)
3)3 Mals-Someone from PvPWest said it would completely negate Teeth..and other annoying things like TS and etc.

Sur will add more Mana than Jah will add Life, but I need more Life against certain Casters and WWSins.

Or...should I just make a Sanctuary cuz Bow Zons and FBers piss the crap out of my in Pubs.

But then again, I already have Shields against Light Sorcs, Trappers, and FBers...

Thanks for the input.

dkay

Diabloii.Net Member
upped visucrant or winstons guard. i like winstons better. keep sanc in stash. id sur your winstons.

against bow zons just nova them to send them into animation, then lightning them to death.

aZNx05J3

Diabloii.Net Member
dkay said:
upped visucrant or winstons guard. i like winstons better. keep sanc in stash. id sur your winstons.

against bow zons just nova them to send them into animation, then lightning them to death.
I already have a Whistan's (Eld'd at the moment) and I'm planning to Shael it since some people have told me it helps a bunch versus Windy's.

It took me to get to Lvl 91 just to get Lightning, CB, CL, LM, and TK Maxed. I was so picky I didn't even spend a point in Static of ES (And I'm an ES Sorc!) My plan for future levels was to put into ES so I could get as close to 95% Absorb as possible...

Err...Upgraded Visc takes a bit more Str than I have.

So...you still haven't told me which of out of the 3...-_-.

dkay

Diabloii.Net Member
i forgot how but i had a friend that would never die to wwsins, his life stayed at one. ill find out what he socketed his gear with and tell you when i find out.

monte cristo

Diabloii.Net Member
95% is not that big a deal when having 1000+ life. The loss of life even at 8x% absorb will be minimal. Then again, 95% gives better credit to mal runes and their mdr which completely negate life loss - very important against OW or poison on a sorc. But you probably already know that. You have maxed resists, so sactuary is not the best now. Sur your whitstan as was said before and see what comes.

EDIT: by the way, I had an orb es sorc once and she had a lot less life. How did you achieve those great stats with max block? What's your gear and stat point distribution if I may ask?

aZNx05J3

Diabloii.Net Member
Umm...why do you guys want me to Sur my Whistan's; I have 3 Mana already and it's not that important to me. WWSins or OW or Fury Druids or anything /w a lot of Psn or OW just eats me alive. And...~150 Mana won't help me when I run into a 24k Fireball...cuz 1 basically destroys my Mana.

I think I will Mal my last one...

By the way, are there magical shields that give life and have Sockets?

My gear is:

HotO
Vipermagi (Shael'd)
Spider Sash
2x SoJ's
Frosties
Imp Shanks
Whistan's (Shael'd)
Wraith Collar Amulet
A +2 Sorc/20 FCR/20 Res All/18 Dex/1 Socket Diadem
CtA and Lidless on switch

Charms:
10x 40 Life Lightning GCs
9x 20 Life SCs
Annihilus

Put 12 into Str, 70 into Dex, rest into Energy.

sheepe2004

Diabloii.Net Member
aZNx05J3 said:
By the way, are there magical shields that give life and have Sockets?
yes: mechanics/aritsans/jewelers shield of the [life mod]

or if you dont want to spend stupid amounts for 1-2 extra sockets:
any shield with life and another good mod + larzuk quest + some luck

lCE

Diabloii.Net Member
Maybe u would want this : Jewelers/Artisans Kite shield of Negation ( 3 sockets 6 MDR) then with 3 mals in that u would have a 24 MDR shield ~~. Or just use a Gerkes Sanctuary mal'd (if im not mistaken that gives phys and mag dmg reduced by 15-20). Even though u probably wont have the str for it :). Anyway it would be easiest to shop Charsi for such a shield, shouldnt take too long since its only a normal one ur after.

monte cristo

Diabloii.Net Member
But that would make max block go away. In my opinion, neither 50 in life nor in mana will help that much, but mana was a better choice for something else than a big elemental damage dealer. With that amount of life and hopefully some life replenish, you won't lose against something that doesn't make your mana go away. And OW will destroy you anyway.

........MDR then, from a mal rune.

By the way, is OW cancelled by blocking? I dueled so long ago and not much with ES chars that I can't remember. If so, keep Whitstan.

Phyrexial

Diabloii.Net Member
OW only has a chance of taking effect if you are hit, so blocking will help by preventing OW from having the chance to take effect. However, nothing helps once you are hit with it.

aZNx05J3

Diabloii.Net Member
Doh...should've clarified, these choices are for Casters or Characters with unblockable attacks.

Anyways, so how much Life can a shield get? Kite Shield.

And yes I don't have enough Str for Gerke's.

By the way, I'm at 60 FHR, should I use Mana/FHR SCs or Life/Mana SCs?

monte cristo

Diabloii.Net Member
60 life on magical shields and 40 life on rare ones.

If you're still talking about elemental chars, I believe fhr is not the most important to have. Unless something like a fire sorc is incredibly good. At 200FCR she has a 7 frame cast and you have a 8 frame hit recovery. It is possible to be hit with 2 fireballs/firebolts in the same recovery animation. Then again, they 99% of the time don't shoot two fireballs at the same spot hoping for that to happen. And also.. at the start of the duel with full mana, you won't lose much life so hit recovery won't even begin the first time or two. Faster blocking would serve better against whirlwind than fhr too. Remember that you don't lose enough life with ES to be brought to hit recovery most of the time.

Coming down to the choice: 86FHR won't hurt and ~100-120 life (60->86, thats 5 or 6 lifers) could save your butt well enough too. Switching a life skiller for 12fhr skiller saves you 3 x 5fhr/mana charm and gives 60 life from 20/17 instead of 40 from the skiller, so if you go for fhr and for perfection in every detail, aim for that combination imho.

aZNx05J3

Diabloii.Net Member
monte cristo said:
60 life on magical shields and 40 life on rare ones.

If you're still talking about elemental chars, I believe fhr is not the most important to have. Unless something like a fire sorc is incredibly good. At 200FCR she has a 7 frame cast and you have a 8 frame hit recovery. It is possible to be hit with 2 fireballs/firebolts in the same recovery animation. Then again, they 99% of the time don't shoot two fireballs at the same spot hoping for that to happen. And also.. at the start of the duel with full mana, you won't lose much life so hit recovery won't even begin the first time or two. Faster blocking would serve better against whirlwind than fhr too. Remember that you don't lose enough life with ES to be brought to hit recovery most of the time.

Coming down to the choice: 86FHR won't hurt and ~100-120 life (60->86, thats 5 or 6 lifers) could save your butt well enough too. Switching a life skiller for 12fhr skiller saves you 3 x 5fhr/mana charm and gives 60 life from 20/17 instead of 40 from the skiller, so if you go for fhr and for perfection in every detail, aim for that combination imho.
I'm already using 20 Life SCs so I don't get how I get 60 Life? Your whole paragraph was confuzzling (prolly cuz I just woke up). That magical shield looks intriguing...is their a FHR mod or is Jeweler's the only Prefix I should look for?

And would a 3x7 FHR/Mod Kite Shield be good? I'd only have to use 1 SC to hit the last plausible BP.

aZNx05J3

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm...interesting...I always thought I had a little too low Mana following guides...But I seem to have too low of Life in Pubs and Priv duels...

I read that something between 1:3 and 1:4 was good.

monte cristo

Diabloii.Net Member
Well.. I was writing when I was falling asleep so confusing is a good word :)

What I meant is: if you go for FHR with your inventory, you'll lose 120 life from sc's, while not going for it will make you gain this 120 life by not swapping anything for fhr/mana charms. And then I said that If you were to remove one lightning/life skiller and put there a lightning/fhr skiller, you could reach the next breakpoint sacrificing a little less life. 20 to be exact, as you give away 40life from the skiller and gain 60 from not swapping life/mana sc's. Eh, confusing again, so long, but for a matter so not-important :)

And I still agree, mal the shield. Speaking of which, these are some mods that go well with mechanics prefix:

of Deflecting +20% Increased Blocking, 30% Faster Block Rate
of Colossus +41-60 to Life

And there are no good prefixes instead of mechanics for your shield :)

aZNx05J3

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, any idea if these Mechanic's of the Colossus cost a lot? Mechanic's Prefix gives 2 Sockets huh? Well...I think a 3 Jah Kite would be easier for me then...and probably less time-consuming finding one of those.

monte cristo

Diabloii.Net Member
Mechanics gives up to 4 sockets, but your choice would probably be a kite shield that would recieve 3 and still have a suffix :) Anyway, good luck with that.

aZNx05J3

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks, but I just made a Perfect Sanctuary, yay!

But anyways, I decided to go /w a 3 Sur Kite Shield since Zhar's guide says a good ratio is 1:3.

And I need 4.2k Mana to be 1:3 and I'll only have 3.5k after the shield = /