Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Which runes are worthwhile to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Triiumph, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Triiumph

Triiumph IncGamers Member

Which runes are worthwhile to upgrade?

I was doing Hell Andy runs and collecting runes (lucky to get a mal somewhere along the way in about a hundred or so runs). When my inventory fills up, I upgrade the runes but then was thinking which ones were more valuable as is. Or in other words, were 3 or 2 of the same runes more valuable than the next level up single rune?

I would think that ral runes shouldn't be upgraded because of their value in crafting/trading and that 3 of those were definitely more valuable than a single ort. Not sure on the 3 amns vs 1 sol or the 3 sols vs 1 shael. And definitely not sure on the higher runes since I don't have many to consider the more powerful rune words anyway.

What do you think?

2. eatbeef

eatbeef IncGamers Member

upgrade all runes untill you have the high end ones, than you can trade those for what ever you want. or you could use those high end runes to make the elite weapons and armors of the game. a win win situation.

3. Zenkat

Zenkat IncGamers Member

Ral runes are indeed useful for repairing armor, especially expensive runeword armor. Hel runes are pretty junky, i'd upgrade those whenever possible. If you ever get Gul runes on the ladder, 2 of those will make a Vex which is worth a lot compare to 2 Guls. Goodluck constantly upgrading runes, i gave up on it. It requires way too many runes to make nice ones. Easier to just find them from the Countess and Hellforge.

4. rickster

rickster IncGamers Member

I think ist is pretty close to a currency rune, so don't forget that 2 mal runes = ist

5. GemofIndia

GemofIndia IncGamers Member

All :xparty: till you want that rune

6. Taft12

Taft12 IncGamers Member

If you frequent the trading forums, you will see that Ral and Amn runes are quite in demand so don't upgrade those ones.

Some runes are much nicer than the one right above them. Shael comes immediately to mind, 3 Shaels are WAY better than 1 Dol.

Upgrading 2 Gul's to a Vex is very worth it, as is upping 2 Pul's to an Um.

I'd say ask here and the experts will steer you pretty much correctly.

7. Triiumph

Triiumph IncGamers Member

Ahhh, thanks for the input! And Zenk, i did mean Hell Countess... some reason I always seem to confuse the two. I have a character saved with rals, one with amns and sols. Even though I really don't trade much, I may eventually just craft some of them up myself. Seems pointless to constantly upgrade these to the useful higher runes.

Just so happens that the only Hell Hellforge quests me and my wife's tandem team completed dropped a pair of guls so I can make that vex. The Countess has been fairly fruitful... I think after about 200 (i've lost count now), I've collected a lem, lum, io, ~8 hels, 2 dols, and ~12 shaels to go with that mal. Additionally, she's dropped an oculus and a highlord's wrath amulet among the notable uniques. Anyway, it gives me something to pass the time when soloing... thanks for the replies.