Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Which poison build? (PVM)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by yiuman, Nov 10, 2006.

1. yiuman

yiuman IncGamers Member

Which poison build? (PVM)

Which is the best poison build for PVM and why?

Thanks

2. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Uhm, alright, let me try and remember all the poison builds...

Daggermancer
    P.Novamancer
    P.NovaSummoner
    Rabies Werewolf
    Rabies/Fury Hybrid
    Poison Javazon
    Light/Poison Hybrid

That's all I can think of.

I would immediately scratch out Pure Rabies and Daggermancer.

Whatever is left should easily plow through the game.

As for best, my vote goes to the Lit/Psn Javazon and P.Novamancer. As for why... you have Light damage to support the Poison, which gives you easy kills. The P.Novamancer has a variety of support skills too.

3. yiuman

yiuman IncGamers Member

Also a venom assassin. Why would you scratch out the other Daggermancer? With correct equipment I think it could do a lot of damage - combine that with CE and you'd have quite a machine. The only problem would be that you'd have to stab every single mob.

4. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

Whichever one you choose really depends on which one you find fun, but if you plan to play him/her in hell then you will need a back up skill.

so I would also vote for the psn javazon or the Novamancer since both have skill points to spare once they are "complete" giving you lots of options for killing Poison Immunes.

Also, If you don't mind playing slightly different builds, a Daggermancer should not be immediately ruled out. Poison Dagger + Treachery (Venom) = lots of damage.

Thats what Poison Explosion is for.
    - Stab one
    - Terror them all back
    - Explode the one you stabbed as they are running back towards you over his body.

-hps

5. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

I don't know why you list a Nova/Summon and not a Dagger/Summon build.

Daggermancers and Novamancers both max out the same skills and they can both be hybridized in to summoners giving them some leverage against poison immunes as well as some crowd control.

Having a bunch of skellies or Revives holding up the contention would allow the daggermancer to saunter around at his leisure and stab monsters. The only problem I can see with summons on a daggermancer is lack of +summon from gear as you will most likely be wearing Treachery and three-piece Trang's with the shield. You could of course still have a lot of +summon on switch.

6. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

I ignored Venom because then I'd have to include all those Treachery + Bow builds.

I ignored the Dagger/Summon hybrid, because with Nova/Summon, you actually have the +Skills to support the Summoning Branch. With a Daggermancer, your equipment is more melee oriented. You technically do have the points to go 20 RS/20 SM, but by then you'd be a pretty high level. =\ I know about the high damage you can get from P.Dagger + Treachery, but I still see it as a nuisance to deal with big crowds (increased time + increased micro to ensure successul stabbings = increased effort + slow progress). And without a high level Dim Vision/T.God's, I can't seem to figure out how any Daggermancer will stab a mob of Black Souls.

Since the OP did ask for the best PvM build, I came to the conclusion that a Daggermancer will simply take too long to micro through the game in comparison to the other builds.

And just out of my own curiosity - have either one of you, Indemaijinj/yiuman, made and successfully played through the game with a Daggermancer? :scratch:

7. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Way back in the 1.10 days, I had a melee/nova necro, who pillaged his way across the world, until I got stuck in A3 Hell. Almost the full game though.

8. Liquid_Evil

Liquid_Evil IncGamers Member

I've built all those and found that Poison Nova is quite an awesome skill and clearly the most powerful of the games' poison skills. A poison nova necro armed with a Death's Web and an army of skeletons is a terribly powerful character. I'd actually go as far as to say that it's the best in a non-Enigma environment (that's just one guys opinion though). If you build the other ones, you will be relying more on your secondary hybrid skills.

9. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

LE, How about a Beta Bramble to go with that setup? That woud be kaaarazy.

Also, if you have your merc outfitted with crushing blow and a fort armor ... you have almost everything covered. Swap the Bramble for Enigma and you're all set!

Throw in a Kelpie for the merc weapon, Guillame's for headgear, a clay golem with +skills for the huge slow effect ... and you can slow Baal down a crawl, cast lower resist on him and watch his health drain with poison.

lemme see ... you've got huge poison, lower resists, huge slow from multiple sources, good damage if you've upgraded an ethereal Kelpie made great raw damage from the Fortitude, 35% crushing blow and 15% deadly strike from the G-face, might merc, army of skellies, mages and revives (bring back some Urdars if you want to go overboard), curses ... I love this character.

10. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Oh, keep in mind that characters that relied on external sources of synergy - like a Rabies Werewolf that utilized the level 21 poison creeper charges off the Carrion Wind unique ring - won't be as viable in the latest patch. Only in 1.10 and previous (to what degree i'm not sure though).

Same as the Marrowalk "freebie" 500+ bone armor and bone damage skills synergized from the bone prison charges.

11. Nerigazh

Nerigazh IncGamers Member

Are they viable without death's web? It seems like poison nova doesn't hit as hard as a lot of skills :upset:

12. usamahanas

usamahanas IncGamers Member

well the key for a huge dmg from poison comes at first from -% enemy poison resists, and that's why it's very important to have 3x trange set items including the shield for it's -25% and then gloves for +25%. You can realy finish the game on P8 without Death's Web, however it'll be slower as you progress into act 5 hell. Unfortunatly there's no much options in gear for -% enemy Poison, the only new item is Grief runeword (barb merc).
    BTW, with full gear for a necro his PN can reach 11K over 2 seconds and has ~ -140% Enemy PR

13. Harrid

Harrid IncGamers Member

Keep in mind that P.Nova has only a 2 second duration (shorter than any other poison skill but Venom, IIRC), so it can be applied many more times in the same span of time than Rabies or P.Dagger. Now, obviously, it is ideal to have Death's Web, Bramble armor, and Trang's gloves/shield/belt if you want to push your damage as high as it can go, but as for NEEDING them? Unlikely, given that not only can P.Nova match/surpass the damage of Bone Spirit while having the capacity to affect a crowd, but it can also benefit greatly from Lower Resist (at the cost of not being spammable). Having the best gear will obviously help, but it is only as necessary as Enigma is to a hammerdin.