Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Which paintball gun?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Matt, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Which paintball gun?

So summer is around the corner.... I dont have the time to do my usual sport(baseball), as its right in the middle of the day, and I need to work pretty full time this summer

So, I'm sure you see where this is going... instead of baseball, which doesnt fit my schedule, I'm thinking of taking up paintball. Now, I'm not talking like tournament paintball, just fooling around with friends and whatnot.

I live in a very rural area (small town Vermont), so places to play is NOT a problem (woods around everyones houses, series of trails and pretty open woodds behind my high school, etc)

My questions are:
    -Whats a good gun? I'm either buying a Kingman spyder (some upgrades on it, electronic hopper, extended barrel, larger CO2 tank) from a friend for $275 (including his mask, full CO2, and about 1500 paintballs. Its a good gun, I've shot it before, and it was pretty nice, and I was actually able to hit stuff with it, with no previous experience.

OR:
    Tippmann model 98, about $200, including mask, CO2, 1000 paintballs. (New)

Hmm... The tippmann is new, under warrenty, and 75 bucks cheaper. The Spyder is a slightly higher end gun, semi-automatic, more paint with it, and if I've got any questions on it, my friend knows it inside and out, and can teach me about using and maintaining it.

I guess I lean SLIGHTLY towards the tippmann, mostly because I wont use it like in a serious tournament, just for fooling around with friends, and secondly because its under warrenty.

So, anyone got thoughts on which gun I should go with, and any other thoughts on paintball in general, which you think might be helpful for me? (I know the basics, my friends play a decent amount, and I've read online)

Thanks!

-Matt

2. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Tippman. I'm no paintball player, but it seems like it's what everyone gets to start with. If you're just screwing around with friends, or don't have the experience of maintaining one, you're going to want one with a warranty. At least, I would.

3. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Protective gear. And a cup.

Oh, and tagging your buddies' parked cars in the college parking lot from your dorm room window with pink paintballs does not make them happy campers. But firing a giant pink smiley face into your suitemate's door before he gets back from class is a hoot, provided you don't let him know you have a paintball gun.

4. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

The kingman will be more accurate. Does that fit into your playing style? Do you like to pick people off from a distance?

If you buy something (anything) from a friend and it breaks, you have to be prepared not to hold that against him. It's sort of like loaning money to a family member or friend: be careful.

5. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I liked that Ol' Painless Jesse Ventura paint gun whatever that was

6. skihard

skihard Banned

you wouldn't mean this would you

7. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

If one is semi-automatic and one isn't, it's a pretty obvious choice. At least to me.

8. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

I used to be a very avid paintball player. I own a Spyder, Automag, and Shocker. I have shot Tippman '98's and I would definately recommend the Spyder over the Tippman. They shoot much smoother than the Tippmans do and customization is very easy for Spyder markers, so replacement parts wouldn't be terrible, if it did start breaking down on you. The most common problems you would have with a Spyder are blown o-rings, which are inexpensive and simple to repair. Trigger jobs are easy on Spyders also. What I would recommend for casual play is a Spyder marker with a 12v Revolution hopper and a decent barrel. I played just fine with that setup for a good part of my paintball experience.

If you have any additional questions you can feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to help you out with any questions you may have.

~Igneo

Edit: Both markers are semi-automatic, DPH. There are only a few non-semi paintball markers out there, and they are advertised as "pump" guns.

9. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

The Spyder, they are just better guns. The Tippmann is ok to play a round with or to rent, but when you start playing more you'll be pissed off at it and get a new marker sooner or later.

10. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Okay, well i was gonna PM you but yeah..your PM box is full. So here:

Firstly, the marker is not what matters. Your mask is. Trust me on this one, I have seen more than enough newbies buy awesome markers and then have little money for a decent mask. The result: awesome shooting but you can't see what you're shooting so there's no point. The record I've seen so far was a 8 on 8 speedball with this relatively new team, their guys had fogged lenses and they took out 4 or their own guys before we had even shot (50% of their team).

Okay, so I recommend a JT mask, as I prefer their brand. They provide decent looking masks with good vision. I'm not saying you have to get a JT mask, there's tons of brands that are great as well. But here are the things you need to look out for:

-A big lens (it may look stupid because you have big goggle-like eyes but this will give you the best field of view)

-Double lense to prevent fogging

-Good fit, the mask MUST fit your face nice and snug

-If you're getting a coloured lens (somewhat rare but I guess they do exist), try and get yellow or orange, they make outlines bolder and thus it's easier to spot feeders that stick out here and there)

-DO NOT GET FANS. This seemed like a cool idea at first when I saw it but it's completely retarded. The idea is you run around with these two fans in your mask. And when i fogs up, you hit the switch, they start to whirl and make noise to clear your goggles. It's stupid.

Okay, now for gear, you might want knee pads and what not, protection is always good. You do not need "paintball shoes", personally, I think the idea is retarded, I just wear some sturdy sneakers or preferably boots (like Timberlands, not humongous CAT's)

Okay, finally, the stuff you want, the marker. If you're a beginner and you seriously don't know much about paintball, I would go for a cheap spyder. I would get the spyder shutter if I were you, it's just a cheap, nice marker.

Of course, depending on your budget you could go for better. A popular choice is the Tippman 98, you want the custom model. This gun is versatile and can get a lot of nice upgrades, the first you'll want is a better barrel (dye boomstick is my fav).

There's a new Tippman A5 that features a cyclone feed system (basically makes your firing rate awesome). I personally have a Spyder shutter and angel LCD. Of course, the angel is awesome but pricey...the shutter isn't bad. I sold my 98 custom a while ago.

So I guess this is all i have to say really. I'd say go for a 98 custom or even maybe an A5 (pricey, bulky but it SHOULD be nice, i haven't tried it yet).

Ask the guys at the field for pointers, tips and the dudes at the store for recommendations. Go for a second hand marker if you have low funds.

So yeah, that's it. Hope this helped!

11. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Very helpful. Thanks masterazn, and everyone else :)

-Matt

12. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Like masterazn said, spend some money and get a nice mask. I recommend JT also. You want something that fits comfortably, you won't regret it.

The first mods you should do to your spyder is get a 12v VL revolution hopper if your marker doesn't come with one. Second, get a new barrel. Do a trigger job. It's extremely inexpensive and makes the shooting nicer. (Unless of course it's an electronic marker, which I don't think you're getting)

Other gear I'd suggest:

Comfort shorts with built in soft cup: It only took one stray paintball to have me looking into these and I didn't look back. Well worth the money.

Knee pads: I bought some very nice knee/shin pads. Great buy because it protects you when you're crawling or sliding from rocks, etc on the ground. Worth the money if you play a bunch.

And that's what I can think of off the top of my head. Again, PM me if you have any additional questions.

13. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Unless someone else mentioned it and I missed it, a mask with a throat guard is nice too.

I didn't see them very often when I played but a hit on the throat can be nasty.