Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Which merc for pnecro HF or Might?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Ohmn, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Ohmn

Ohmn IncGamers Member

Which merc for pnecro HF or Might?

I have a lvl 79 poison necro. He uses the trangs set and ume's wand. Better stuff like death's web or bramble is not going to happen -too expensive ;) I chose a holy freeze merc and he is now lvl 70. I wonder if I made the wrong choice.

I put the one skill point into FG and he does a great job of drawing the monster's attention. But my HF merc is a little disappointing. My might merc for my summoning necro is much better at dealing damage (doh). The problem I am running into is if monsters are nearly immune to poison or immune you need another damage source and the HF merc is not that great. Plus, I assumed the HF would be nice slowing the monsters down and giving a few extra ticks on the poison. But he arrives late to the party after my FG is already engaged and his aura just seems a little disappointing. Not at all like my paladin who has a lvl 20 HF. The range of the merc's aura does not seem that good, although this could be my perception. Anyway, if the monsters are not mostly or fully immune to poison they are mostly dead when he gets there and starts whacking and begins freezing them. I stuck a number of points into CE so all I need is a body which a FG will never provide heh.

I was just wondering if I should start over (UGH!) and lvl a might merc up or if this choice is okay. Thanks

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Since you have very few minions the Might aura will not be very beneficial to your entire party. Only the merc will make good use of it. He will be killing faster, but you will sacrifice some protection. If you invest in the AI curses you will be able to generate a body for CE.

3. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

If I were you I'd stick with the HF merc since as Mantis says only the Might merc would benifit from the might aura. Of course if you want your merc to kill fast you do have to give him a really good weapon.

Dealing with poison immunes is the main problem that a pure Poison Necro faces and it was the reason I did not build one. In my opinion the Poison-Skellie hybrid is more viable and flexible build if you like to play alone. Although the poison is weaker since it is unlikely to have maxed synergies not having all your eggs in one basket is a good strategy for the 1.10 patch unless you regularly play in a party where other members can cover your weakspots.

I'm not sure if you are entirely against using summons (other than the golem) but revives could help deal damage and provide a better meatshield (for you and your merc). That should only cost 3 skill points and can help in areas where there are immunes and high resistant monsters poison takes a long time to kill.

4. Ohmn

Ohmn IncGamers Member

I am certainly not against using summons. I have been muling what to do with my next 12-14 skill points. I doubt I will get much higher than 90 with this guy. My three options are; pour points into bonespirit and use marrowalker bug (but the damage will still be silly small), work towards maxing CD (I have 18 with + to skills items now), work on pumping Dim Vision to use for crowd control, pumping both CE and DV or pumping summons.

Revive is only a small 3 pt investment. Pumping golem mastery seems silly since by all accounts it does not do much. AI curses sound good but IM/attract only works if you really pump IM (which is a huge investment).

5. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

A HF merc is best for Venomancer.

HoSv1

6. Lyte_Hammer

Lyte_Hammer IncGamers Member

wow....... what an elaborate reply HoS

7. HarbingersOfSkulls

Well, like Mad Mantis posted a while back... HF merc + Gumby = alot of really slow,dead monsters.

With logic like that, how can you think otherwise? And it happens to be quite true.

HoS

8. Ohmn

Ohmn IncGamers Member

Does gumby slow any creature that attacks him or only those he attacks?

9. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Gumby slows all. That is what makes him cool.

10. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Might merc is only good if your relying on kills from a pack of maxed skellies as well.

11. HarbingersOfSkulls

True...though I wish that I stayed with HF merc. Which is why I'm redoing my Venomancer(with out the summons). Just a Gumby and merc now.

HoS