Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

which merc for pit running strafezon?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by BoneSaw, Jan 28, 2004.

1. BoneSaw

BoneSaw IncGamers Member

which merc for pit running strafezon?

I'm making a new strafezon and was wondering what was the best merc to get for a buriza weilding strafezon? This would be to do pit runs in hell difficulty.

Holy freeze to get more hits, Might for the damage, or defiance for the merc meat sheild?

I currently use a defiance merc and he works out pretty well along with the valk.

And another question. How do you get your damage up? Mass charms? I think I do somewhere around 1,000 max damage. Doesn't seem like enough for hell.

2. deathdefy

deathdefy Banned

i like might because more damage is always good, and sometimes you'll need amerc with nice damage as well. only problem with mine is that he's not wearing too great of items so he dies more than I'd like (which would make defiance seem like a good choice). but if you have the equipment for him, definately go for might, if not, pcik between might and defiance. I'd say definately no to holy freeze, especially with buriza as you'll be chilling everything yourself.

might merc ^. critical strike certainly helps. otherwise I don't know, still trying to get my damage up. If you're really rich then I guess 40/15's etc.
    deathdefy

3. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

Dex is key:

You should have around 300+ dex for a pitrunner.
    As some of the guides suggest, 50 vita, str for items, a ballista, get around 100, then use + str items/charms.

If your aiming for about level 90, you have about 460 points to deal with.

Without any problems, you can easily achieve well over 300 dex base. If you go 100 str and 50 vita, you should be able to touch 400 dex with items. As you may know, each dex point is 1% ed, so dex = king for damage. Elemental charms are a very nice way to get you damage up, as well as diversify your attack.

4. BoneSaw

BoneSaw IncGamers Member

Thanks for the info guys. I really don't know enough about zons.

So I was trying to figure out a good skill plan.
    Without taking into account any +skill items(because I wont be using any because I need the MF) I was thinking...

Max Strafe (already maxed)
    Max Valk
    8 Critical Strike
    10 Dodge
    10 Avoid

68 Points used up. And I'm clueless as to what else to put points to. Should I use Decoy? Got any ideas?

5. deathdefy

deathdefy Banned

I like FRozen arrow with Cold Arrow synergy. It works well on PI's and its just nice to have monsters frozen still-also does great damage. I've heard Immolation can be very good and fun but I've also heard that it can be a big pain to deal with (what goods a fire when nothing stays in it?). Magic Arrow IS the PI killer, but there's a bow (sorry, forget the name) that gives a level 20 Magic Arrow, so just try for that on switch and putting points in Magic Arrow are useless. Other than that, more penetrate and critical strike could never hurt. If you already have really good AR, then just pump the critical strike.
    Hope this helps,
    Deathdefy

6. lamentarsi

lamentarsi IncGamers Member

damage is definetely a problem in hell.
    with my might merc / upgraded lycanders aim / lionheart i do around 2k max damage.
    which is more than enough for pit runs but too little for anything past act 4.
    you have to pretty much rely on equipment there, i would say.
    get atmas scarab (chance to cast amp) and goreriders. the 20% ed from lionheart helps, too. also guillams face would be good.
    i can do hell pit runs with ease and without a merc with this setup:
    shako
    skullders
    atmas scarab
    lycanders aim
    ravenfrost
    rare ll / mf ring
    goldwrap
    chance guards

with a gheeds fortune in inventory this gives me about 300% mf and pretty good killing speed in the pits

7. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Skill -wise for a standard Bowazon generally looks like this:

Strafe (or Multi) -20
    Freezing Arrow - 20
    Valk - 17 (less with +skills)
    Pierce 5-10 (at least 50%)
    Crit Strike 5-10 (at least 50%)
    d/a/e 3-1-3 (at least 40%)
    Penetrate - as needed

rest in pre-req's

Pump your Dex, as suggested already, for increased damage and AR. Strafe's better imho for Pitruns, though multi's a good choice for PvM. +skill gear will save you on points here and there. If you can get one, Witchwild String is an awesome bow for your switch. Awesome mods include amp damage, Deadly Strike per clvl, +40 resists, 2 sockets and a +20 slvl Magic Arrow. This bow is killer vs PI's, and the options for socketing it are limitless. I'd go with a Shael/Nef or Ohm/Nef etc...

hope this helps,

X

8. Ivor Adella

Ivor Adella IncGamers Member

What about ohm and pul for pit runs? Thats what I think I am going to do with my WWS.

btw, how do I upgrade it? I keep hearing people talk about upgrading uniques. How?

9. BoneSaw

BoneSaw IncGamers Member

taken from arreat summit
    1 Lum Rune + 1 Pul Rune + 1 Perfect Emerald + Exceptional Unique Weapon = Elite Version of Weapon (Ladder Only)

And I just saw a suggestion or post about using laying of hands. +350% damage to demons. That's going to own those devilkins!(right?)

btw, using my strafezon in the pit I found grizwolds redemption with 4 sockets. Finally a good unique out of that place! :xmad: