Which merc do people like for a Zealot

Deaddave

Diabloii.Net Member
someone correct me if im wrong but when zealing you count as standing still, so just thinking why not try a defience merc(spl) this+holysheild should give some very nice defence numbers making you very hard to hit. less hits=less damage= more ownage

just me 2 cents

-dd

herobomberman

Diabloii.Net Member
someone correct me if im wrong but when zealing you count as standing still, so just thinking why not try a defience merc(spl) this+holysheild should give some very nice defence numbers making you very hard to hit. less hits=less damage= more ownage

just me 2 cents

-dd
if you kill monsters fast enough, you dont need to worry about them hitting you.

Geting

Diabloii.Net Member
i vote for defince also, unless you have exile...
with my zealer i found that might only added a few hundred damage, while defiance gives me about 5k defence extra. and with 20k defence, you wont get hit often, mening that you hardy need to worry about getting swarmed or shot

Kefir-Tribe

Diabloii.Net Member
I think Exile is a terrible choice for a SC Fanaticism Zealot. Using it is throwing away a 50% damage boost (via Decrepify from The Reaper's Toll). Even a pimped out Grieflot can't pass that one without killing noticeably slower. It's easy to get leech from other sources and with the damage of a good Zealot, a few percent is enough to fill the life blob in an instant.

Exile is for HC players, BM PvP, wuzzes and other builds (It can be great for e.g. a Tesladin).

grogs

Diabloii.Net Member
Can we get a show of hands of people who actually have a exile?
Puts his hand up.

@KT - I like exile on my zealot, I've never noticed any difference in killing speed (grief + fort makes very short work of anything not PI on any /p setting). It's also quite nice to see 30K+ defence:smiley:

As Baal running seems to be all I've been doing for the last little while, most of my characters are built and equipped with that in mind. listers pack in particular hit hard, and the LT and huge defence bonus help.

Llathias

Banned
In case it wasn't clear, I was being sarcastic with the Exile comment, hence the eye rolling smilie and the exaggerated stress on "everyone". I apologize if it caused any confusion.

Asmodeous

Diabloii.Net Member
I have to disagree a bit with you there Asmo. Zealots without CtA can be quite fragile when things get heated. So a buddy to share the pain with is very welcomed. Might gives a nice ED bonus and while you certainly can get away without it, it does speed up the killing in harder areas. But more important is that act2 mercs can equip The Reaper's Toll which breaks most physical immunities and adds a huge bonus to the damage.
Zealot's fragile? Hmmm, well maybe I have been playing zealots at the high end too much. But a well set up zealot, that is, maxxed zeal, fanatism, holy shield and the rest in zeal synergy. Once you have done that, where do you spend your skill points? By my calculations, you have that combo with 87 skill points which is level 76 including all quest rewards. So, assuming level 85 game ending, what do you spend those skill points on? You can 5 point the defensive tree down to redemption which is always handy, but I would suggest holy shield synergy, Defiance. Get a few points in there and it is pretty hard to keep your defence under 10 kay. Then, when your defence and shield blocking chance stacks, Fragile doesn't seem an appropriate description to me. Toss on a bit of PDR, make sure your resists are good and keep it all going with some life leech at 8/4 fps.

Because of the way defence and blocking work together, the difference between a defence of 10 kay and 20 kay translates to a very small chance of not being hit.
Just for an example, lets assume 10 kay defence = 40% chance to be hit and 20 kay defence = 20% chance to be hit. Any hits that bypass defence are then further reduced by 75% chance to be blocked so 40% chance to be hit becomes 10% and 20% chance to be hit becomes 5% chance to be hit. A 5% chance to be hit difference, or one in twenty attacks.
As you can see by the maths, the difference between the defence gained by a defiance merc or not, is quartered and at the high end, the benefits of defence diminish rapidly. My own uberlot runs 27 kay defence and his chance to be hit is in the teens and that is without a defiance merc. So yeah, Im well used to the high end, but any zealot with a HoZ and upped GA will have around 12 kay defence easily.

Is that worth gaining in the long run?

Btw, what about vamp gaze? My uberlot's have used vamp gaze for years before I got my claws on a two hole CtA.

Kefir-Tribe

Diabloii.Net Member
@Asmo
Your words are wise Asmo. When I wrote fragile I had some specific situations in mind, which based on my experience is hard to handle even with a well equipped Zealot. Aura enhanced archers, charge from for instance Pindle and some tough bosses (with Amplify Damage, Auras etc.) are some examples.

I usually put points in Redemption (to counter Achmel's habit of resurrecting OKs), Salvation (to counter Conviction) and of course the useful prereq. skills to Redemption. Still, there're a bunch of points left to play around with. I'm a big fan of investing in Resist Lightning, for the passive bonus to lightning max resist. IMO 80%lr and some MDR can be enough to make Gloams endurable, which offers the possibility to drop Thundergod's Vigor for something else (SoE for example).

10k defense is fine IMO. More is of course nice but not necessary. The most dangerous monsters have ITD (and/)or hit so hard that if one blow gets past the defense and block it's enough to make things critical anyway.

If the helm not is required to supply some key property (like IAS or resist), I think that Vampire Gaze is a very good option. I like Guillaume's Face tough, for the extra DS and in some cases the CB.

@grogs
I guess you fit in my wuzz-category then. :wink3:

Asmodeous

Diabloii.Net Member
Ah, now I follow you and yes, the difference in between our opinions is because I have become so used to playing my uberlot, that I have forgotten that aura enhanced boss packs, pindles charge, doll explosions etc are a danger to a zealot.

well, imho, my schaeferdin is only a fortitude armor away from the perfect pvm zealot build (imho) which would reduce his defence and increase his damage to around 7 kay average. Im still tossing up whether to make the armor and use it using the v1.09 hellforge run runes I did some time ago.

Anyway, I also have my Iron man barb, the "unkillable" character I wrote the guide about. Concentrate, shout, BO, iron skin, 90% resist all, all three elements absorbed, PDR, lots of MDR, 66% shield block along with typical barbarian hit point quantities. When it came to being "unkillable", he was second to my uberlot. I concluded that the reason was the frequency of life leeching. Iron man barb using a doom bringer @ 12 fps had two leech opportunities per second (approx) based on only 2kay average damage where as the zealot has five leech oportunities per second (approx) based on over 5kay average damage.
That was a factor that no amount of life, defence, PDR/MDR, resists and absorbs could match.

I remember A on line game I was in doing the usual baal runs with other players. We ran into that situation of multi nasty aura pack bosses that led to the entire party going down. Never fear I proclaimed and bought my iron man barb into the game on my second commputer. Well to give him credit, he did last a few seconds longer than our party of players did. With nothing to loose I bought in the schaeferdin and with in a couple of minutes, and I cleaned the area of all boss's and minions for the party to get their bodies back.
Cow runs and solo baal runs on players 8 are easy and the only fear he has now is IM curse and death via internet lag.

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member
Btw, what about vamp gaze? My uberlot's have used vamp gaze for years before I got my claws on a two hole CtA.
CoA?

Also, I was wondering what mercs people have used on untwinked freezealots and how useful they've been. I just got to act 2 norm and got a def merc, but if rouges really do a ton of damage, I might go get one of them.

Asmodeous

Diabloii.Net Member
CoA?

Also, I was wondering what mercs people have used on untwinked freezealots and how useful they've been. I just got to act 2 norm and got a def merc, but if rouges really do a ton of damage, I might go get one of them.
CtA = typo. Yeah, Crown of Ages is what I meant.

Freezalots are even worse. Usually you lack for little as might does nothing. defiance is a little bit more justified as extra skill points are going to holy shock synergies then zeal/sacrifice for extra physical damage. Might can als work as it does improve physical damage making leeches a little better.

Untwinked I would probably say either might or blessed aim as most shockers use a lightsabre which has ITD and might would help replace the lack of chance to cast life tap from twinked on gloves, unless your lucky enough to find them.
Basically for untwinked, get to hell difficulty and see what you need. defence, phsycal damage or AR and choose accordingly.