Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Which is Worse?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Steel_Avatar, May 22, 2005.

?

What would you do with a cornered mouse?

1. Leave it alone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Kill it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Try to catch and release it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Durf it with boobies... this isn't working!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar Diabloii.Net Member

Which is Worse?

We just had a provincial election on Tuesday, and we narrowly avoided a June federal election. All the talk of voting got me thinking:

Which would you say is worse? An uninformed voter, or someone who doesn't vote (whether or not they are informed)?

2. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak Diabloii.Net Member

Uninformed, because they can neutralize those who are informed.

Garbad

3. nrabbit

nrabbit Diabloii.Net Member

i think that not voting at all is worse. in my country there are a lot of people who don't want to vote and after that they complain how horrible the government is and that the country isn't going anywhere.

4. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng Diabloii.Net Member

If you want to vote, you should know what you're voting for/about. If someone voted for this poll without reading Steel's post, then he has basically screwed up the whole purpose of the system i.e. to get the most accurate measurement of what people want. This is where commercials etc come into play, and how much the politician invests into their campaign. Your president/PM shouldn't be buying his way in.

5. piff

piff Diabloii.Net Member

The apathetic don't care, so they don't really have an opinion, so they probably won't vote. It's best that they stay home. The uninformed may actually affect an election, though.

6. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Uninformed. Those are the ones that more often than not vote for the leftist candidate.

7. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra Diabloii.Net Member

Uninformed. Those are the ones that more often than not vote for the most extreme candidates (at least 'round these parts).

8. portishead

portishead Diabloii.Net Member

Comments like this are acceptable?

9. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 Diabloii.Net Member

I don't like the term "uninformed". It seems like it is just as often used to describe someone of the opposite politcal affliation as it is to describe someone that is truly uninformed. And what exactly must be done to become so-called informed? The standard will be grossly different for different people. To some, anyone that doesn't live and breath politics on a daily basis is uninformed. For others, just learning the basic stances of the candidates before an election is enough to get them out of the uninformed category.

10. Damotta

Damotta Diabloii.Net Member

I say the apathetic voter is the worst in certain elections because...

I think wether the voter is informed or not wont have a terrible amount of significance, because no matter how informed one tries to be there's always unforseeable and secret matters occuring. In many elections, at least ones of a major scale, I feel the candidates are so dressed-up and fake, and they speak so many untruths and half-truths that what they supposedly stand for is just a curtain for the public to view. I dont think any amount of informedness will truely get to the bottom of what they're really doing and what they really have planned.

On the other hand, local elections arent quite the same. Elections for mayor and other local governing positions dont have the same veil over the candidates that the elections for higher up positions do.

So for these type of elections where it's easier to do research and find out what's best for the community, and where there's also a greater chance of having an infuence on how things will turn out, the uninformed voter is the worse of the two.

11. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar Diabloii.Net Member

To clarify then:

By uninformed, I meant the people who either don't know who is running, or at the very least, their party.

12. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy Diabloii.Net Member

I think the uninformed voter is worse. If only one person cares about the election, then the final result will be the desires of the voters. If everyone votes randomly, it would be much worse.

13. Necrolestes

Necrolestes Diabloii.Net Member

Ignorance is no longer bliss

Ignorance is worse than apathy. The apathetic never make their voices heard so they have no direct impact on an election's outcome (they have a marked indirect impact though). The ignorant have a direct effect (often a deleterious one) on an election's outcome.

14. Stoutwood

Stoutwood Diabloii.Net Member

It's amazing enough that it took that long for a comment like that to be made. I'm sure all of the extremists around these parts were racing to reply with a comment similar to that. Freemason was just the quickest on the draw.

15. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I prefer apathetic. At least then you've made a choice to not care, and that's a part of democracy: choice.

As for the Ontario elections themselves, we have a choice of a) corrupt, incompetent liberals; b) corrupt, fascist conservatives; c) a party that no one will ever pay any attention to (the NDP); and d) a party that is right from the get-go in favour of one and only one province at the expense of the rest.

I choose to hide in a cave until the monkeys take over.

16. bigD72

bigD72 Diabloii.Net Member

Both can be just as bad. If the persons running make it past the primaries and such they wouldn't be horrible for the elected seat, may not be the best, but its not like they'll take down the state/province/whatever. So the uninformed is still not really making a bad decision, just as uninformed one.

One who does not vote is ok by me; however, if they ever complain about the government then they have the right to be trout slapped.

17. Moosashi

Moosashi Diabloii.Net Member

I screwed up and voted for uninformed - I guess that makes me an incompetent voter- but I meant apathetic is worse. An uninformed voter can potentially becomed informed. Apathetic voters are less likely to change.

18. Keldaris

Keldaris Diabloii.Net Member

I would definately have to say uninformed. A good example would be the recent electoral reform referendum that was part of the BC provincial election. 57% of the province voted in favor of the STV(single transferable vote) a system which very few people actually understood, and one that would make forming a majority Government(AKA a gov't that can do something) next to impossible. people were uninformed, and nearly brought in a system which would have severly hurt the province in the future.

19. greatrambino1981

greatrambino1981 Diabloii.Net Member

Uninformed. Remove the party names from ballot so people have to pay attention and make a real choice based on whos views they most align with. Then maybe, just maybe a Green president. :clap: