Which helm should a merc use?

lior

Diabloii.Net Member
Which helm should a merc use?

I use gaze for my act2 def merc(I already have 13ll from weapon).
What do you think about Dream runeword?
 
im guessing your weapon is reapers. if you're willing to spend it, and already have weapon life leech, dream is a great merc helm. the ctc confuse is teh pwn. and.. the aura looks cool. ^^

only problem would be that the reapers/dream setup doesn't provide any +str, so you'll be stuck with a lower def armor.
 

lior

Diabloii.Net Member
itsPizzarific said:
im guessing your weapon is reapers. if you're willing to spend it, and already have weapon life leech, dream is a great merc helm. the ctc confuse is teh pwn. and.. the aura looks cool. ^^

only problem would be that the reapers/dream setup doesn't provide any +str, so you'll be stuck with a lower def armor.
That's right, I use reaper's. For the armor I use an eth fortitude 2000def, that combined with defiance give me 16,000 def which is good I guess.
So what helm do you recommend? Are there other options not mentioned?
 

MoonUnit

Diabloii.Net Member
Delirium, Andys, and Tals mask, crown of thieves, stealskull and rockstopper all work well with merc; it all depends on what your merc needs. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Hope this helps.
 
personally my favorite helm is an andys socketed with 30 fire res/ias or other yummy mod jewel.

however, most of my characters use weapons without life leech, and a fort armor with no life leech so i need it from the helm slot. you get plenty from reapers, so the helm is really free to choose from. i've got a bear sorc with double dreams and the confuse triggers quite a bit and is very handy, keeping the blows off of me. i imagine it would be great on a merc. try it in an eth bone visage or something.
 

lior

Diabloii.Net Member
So if I got reaper's toll with shael in it and forti armor, Which in your opinion would be the best helm for my merc?
P.s. will a 15ias jewel in reaper's reach the breakpoint? if so what should I use as a jewel 15ias/ed ?
 

Harleyquin

Diabloii.Net Member
Delirium has the +2 skills, magic find with level and the chance to cast curses that kick in when the merc is attacked. There's also the added fun factor of seeing a bone fetish every once in a while (I think).
 
Harleyquin said:
Delirium has the +2 skills, magic find with level and the chance to cast curses that kick in when the merc is attacked. There's also the added fun factor of seeing a bone fetish every once in a while (I think).
yep right on. +2 skills and then a nice chance to cast many different kinds of crowd control curses (confuse, terror, mindblast) and bone fetish is teh pwn.
 

lior

Diabloii.Net Member
Bone fetish works on merc?
And isn't +2skills useless for the merc?
O, and do the curses stock? since reaper's has 33% chance to cast Decrepify.
 

Harleyquin

Diabloii.Net Member
If you're using an aura merc the +2 to skills increases the level of the aura, it's not as useful for the barbarian or rogue mercenary.

Decrepify and the crowd control curses do not stack, so if the merc is armed with Reaper's toll then delirium loses some of its effectiveness
 

lior

Diabloii.Net Member
Harleyquin said:
If you're using an aura merc the +2 to skills increases the level of the aura, it's not as useful for the barbarian or rogue mercenary.

Decrepify and the crowd control curses do not stack, so if the merc is armed with Reaper's toll then delirium loses some of its effectiveness

I see, so I guess I'll acquire a Dream till I can purchase an Infinity, then I'll go with Delirium.
 
if you get infinity, you would need to use andys for ll or else your merc will get pwnt.

my typical merc set up is:

infinity/pride/insight (depending on char) polearm
andys socketed with 30 fire res/15 ias
eth fort sacred (need to level him up quite a bit to use this, str req is a bit high)
 

lior

Diabloii.Net Member
itsPizzarific said:
if you get infinity, you would need to use andys for ll or else your merc will get pwnt.

my typical merc set up is:

infinity/pride/insight (depending on char) polearm
andys socketed with 30 fire res/15 ias
eth fort sacred (need to level him up quite a bit to use this, str req is a bit high)
Yeah, forgot about ll...
Anyway going to save for Dream now :thumbsup:
 

skihard

Banned
My Freeze merc is Pretty darn happy with this setup.

Eth Veil of Steel
Eth Steel Carapace
Eth 319% Bone Hew

Best I can do for him without the ability to afford Rune words. Best part is it’s all self found, Yeah Me
 

lior

Diabloii.Net Member
skihard said:
My Freeze merc is Pretty darn happy with this setup.

Eth Veil of Steel
Eth Steel Carapace
Eth 319% Bone Hew

Best I can do for him without the ability to afford Rune words. Best part is it’s all self found, Yeah Me
My eth reaper's 232ed 13ll cost me only an ist.
 

Sherlock

Diabloii.Net Member
My Defiance Merc using Eth Obedience Thresher and Eth Gloom Laquered Plate ! Since none of these things have LL, I upgraded Undead Crown to exceptional version for him to raise defence, and it has 5 LL, and its quite enough ! Its actualy quite nice helm !
 
Sherlock said:
My Defiance Merc using Eth Obedience Thresher and Eth Gloom Laquered Plate ! Since none of these things have LL, I upgraded Undead Crown to exceptional version for him to raise defence, and it has 5 LL, and its quite enough ! Its actualy quite nice helm !
crown of thieves is another great cheap one. tals mask as well, and gaze's arent too expensive now. heck low andy's aren't worth much anymore either. =o
 

Herald of Doom

Diabloii.Net Member
Gface >> all :)

If you use eth reapers you already have ll+a nice ctc decrep. You could use andy's (which is very nice, +2skills, ias etc) or this:

120% Enhanced Defense
+15 to Strength
30% Faster Hit Recovery
35% Chance of Crusing Blow
15% Deadly Strike

15 str helps you wear big armor sooner, 30fhr is nice, and 35%cb+15%ds= merc deals more and faster dmg= stays alive longer. I'm not sure which one I'd use, eAndy's or Gface though. Dream seems a bit like a waste, why pay jah for a helm with nice mods when you can have a Gface for like 3 gems.

HoD
 
Top