Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Which Golem on my MF Fishy?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by DaveTheGreat, May 13, 2008.

1. DaveTheGreat

DaveTheGreat IncGamers Member

Which Golem on my MF Fishy?

Now that I'm starting to have extra points, I'm trying to decide which Golem I want to go for.

Clay? Seems beefy

Iron? Can use excess rares I find

Blood? No

Fire? Holy fire to gather up enemies

2. MrBill

MrBill IncGamers Member

Re: Which Golem on my MF Fishy?

Usually I go for Gumby (Clay) simply because it's easy and not too too mana intensive to recast him. He's extremely useful as a scout, particularly in dangerous MF areas like Hell Pits Level 2 (Might Archers... treat them with respect, scrawny little pale skinned guy; 500 to 1000 points per shot is not out of the question, and yes you can get hit by more than one of those arrows if the boss has Multishot... I can personally attest to that). The slowing effect is just gravy, but I think it's really not that important to a Necro who will have lots of other minions anyway.

Where it is really, really nice is for a non-Necro using the Stone Runeword; put Gumby from that, along with an A2 Holy Freeze (or possibly an A1 Cold Arrow) merc and give him / her Blackthorn's hat, maybe Woestave / Kelpie as well, and the two of them will absolutely cripple any monster in Hell, including Act bosses. It's like fighting statues. :thumbsup:

If you want a little more killing power I find that making Iron Golems out of big elemental damage rare weapons (for example "Shocking Long Sword", "Condensing Pike" etc.) can be useful, also making him out of rare armor with CTC Frost Nova when hit (to slow down enemies, you can craft Hit Power armor to get this capability fairly cheaply as well).

Good alternatives for him include Ancient's Pledge (Ral + Ort + Tal) in a Paladin shield with ~20 to 30 base resists (you can get an IG that's almost elemental immune in Hell with this and a little Summon Resist), Holy Thunder (Eth + Ral + Ort + Tal) (cheap runes, decent Lightening damage) in a 4 socket scepter, or Steel (Tir + El) (dirt cheap runes and Open Wounds to nibble away at tough opponents). I know of people who would make him out of an Insight stick just for the Meditation aura but personally I think it's a waste of runes, especially if you are always running dangerous monsters for MF.

Does anyone know, if you make an IG out of Malice (Ith + El + Eth), if the life drain penalty will eventually kill him? If not, the 100% OW would be great for an IG. Gotta try that myself some time.

Personally I don't like making IG's out of expensive unique items or Runewords because I have repeatedly run into situations where the IG simply disappears for no good reason... I strongly suspect this is because of a bug like the one that plagues Assassins' Shadow Masters, etc., but in any event you probably don't want the IG that you made out of an Infinity stick to vanish because you got more than one screen away from him. He also dies pretty quickly against act bosses, as well, and since you can't heal him directly without going back to town, I wouldn't waste anything on building him out of, that you don't mind losing. Maybe the one exception would be Treachery (Shael + Thul + Lem) since you would get an elemental immune, Venom dealing IG once the Fade kicks in... but a Lem is still a pretty expensive rune to lose when he gets his shiny little a** kicked by Uber Diablo.

Blood? Heard of it being used, but I only play Hardcore. Nuff said. Maybe if you always used Life Tap? (Don't try this with a Necro you can't stand to lose.)

Fire? This Golem gets a bad rep from some players (notably the guy who wrote the Golem Guide which is probably stickied somewhere around here) but he's not as bad as all that; the biggest problem that I have seen with him is just that he costs a lot of mana to re-cast.

However last Ladder season I had a combo Poison Nova / Summoner Necro who used Lower Resist with "Sparky" very effectively. He can take a reasonable amount of damage, he attracts monsters from far and wide, meaning that they all stand in a nice tight area just waiting to be cursed. Don't expect miracles out of him, but I find that with Lower Resist he does just fine in Hell, especially if you have a spare Enchantress (or a Demon Limb) around to boost his damage. He's not that great for areas with a lot of those annoying little Fire Immune Carvers, but he does very well against Fire Archer skeletons when running Shenk in A5. So he's worth giving a try... I wouldn't put too many points into him, though.

YMMV,

Mr Bill

3. Alzakarr

Alzakarr IncGamers Member

Well, I just made a "Malice" golem, and chilled @ worldstone lvl 2 WP for about 4-5 min. His life bar didn't drop a bit so I'm guessing either the drain has no effect or it gets offset by the golem's natural regen. So Malice works, but I suspect CB junk like goblintoe, "strength", crushflange (maybe) would work better.

4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Correct. High natural regen makes these drain effects useless on your minion.

5. DaveTheGreat

Thanks for your input guys, going to go with Gumby ;). Been playing around with a level 9 clay golem and I really like the slow effect. I think I'll just get him to level 16 or so when the slow effect stops increasing.

6. Borje

Borje Banned

Hi, I just felt I had to post my opinion!

A fishymancer is a great MF'er, mine reached the 75% FCR bp since I wanted to be able to tele and spam CE at a decent speed. So I ended up trying out an Insight Iron Golem and I just loved it! You can spam CE a lot, that normally cost, what, 50 mana? My skill layout was like this: max CE, RS, SM and mages, 1 in all curses (save the attract/confuse) 1 point in armour, and the other 1pointers. The rest of my skills went to Golem mastery and at level 90 I have 6 points spent in GM and my golem never dies, unless I do (being careless around Nihlathak...) you need to be cautious around Oblivion Knights since he still get hurt by it.

One advice is to do some major prebuffing, I mean, prebuff is when you put on gear at the start of the game to cast your passive spells at higher level. This fella will only need to be casted once, for all game you play, so take the time and prebuff as much as you can! This is what I used when I casted my IG:

Enigma +2
    3 summon skills circlet: +3
    3 summon skills amu +3
    arach +1
    2*soj/BK: +2
    Battle Command: +1
    Humon: +2 << could be changed for a +3 summon Dark force spawn/+3 boneflame or even a godly +3 summon skills +3GM & IG for a whopping +6 skills!
    as many summon skillers as you can afford, I used 5, you can get up to 9!
    Torch + Anni: +4
    I used my normal summoning wand, AoKL, for another +2, but you can get all the way up to +6 with a magic and 5 with a rare!

Using this setup I casted an IG at lvl 26 with GM at lvl 31. This will give him 7056 life, it is then possible to BO his life up a bit, but it will just stack with the Golem Mastery, my lvl 18 BO gave him 7898 life so not that much of a difference. If you make the IG out of a normal polearm your golem won't do much dmg so he can still survive hitting multiple times when IM'ed. When you see your golems life go down under half, just go to town and heal him and get the IM away! The trick I use is that I play VERY aggressive when I'm around OK's. Use infinity on your merc, amp everyone, and telestomp + CE spam will make sure all monsters are gone before your IG has had the chance to hurt himself!

Believe me, iron golems will make it possible to use CE in a much greater extent - just Amp and Bam, Bam, full screen cleared, tele on and repeat at next pack! After I had made my first Insight Golem I just loved it, couldn't stand playing without one!

This is ofc. not true about Uber Trist where you don't tele/CE but instead are in need of the slow from gumby!

@MrBill: When more than one person have slow target by XX%, the last one that hit the monster will determine how much he is slowed, so If one mosnter is slowed by 75% (Kelpie Snare on a2 merc) and a Gumby with, say 30% slow hit the same monster, the monster will get "sped up" since the slow effect wil lchange from 60% to 30% so make sure you have only one source of slow, and put a lot on that one! :)

EDIT: all numbers where achieved by this pet calculator!

7. smeer

smeer IncGamers Member

Won't you're IG be gone when you leave the game end enter/create another?

8. Poppis

Poppis IncGamers Member

No, the Iron Golem will stay with you from game to game.

9. Borje

Borje Banned

yepp that's true, that's kinda the point of that massive prebuff - it only needs to be done once!

10. NumtyDoo

NumtyDoo IncGamers Member

The golem does stay with you from game to game...

However, I read in a post awhile back, that he is actually "recast" at the start of every game, and iirc, this was backed up by mad mantis. So whatever +skill items you are wearing when you leave the game, is what he will be recast with on the next game. So you would need to put your prebuff gear on before leaving each game.

11. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

Which is why I generally stray away from prebuffing... oh the hastle tt.

12. DaveTheGreat

Thanks again for the input, but I really don't like the idea of having to use actually good things for my Iron golem. I can't really afford an insight for my merc, let alone a golem. Therefore I'm going clay, perhaps on the remake of this build I will go for Iron.