Which charms/jewels to dump?

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
Which charms/jewels to dump?

I'm trying to further clear my characters of less useful gear, and it got me thinking about which affixes or combinations of affixes really don't make a good charm. For instance, I just found and sold a Rugged Large Charm of Quality (RLvl48) because it simply was useless on a CLvl48 character, while if it had been a Fine/Quality or Rugged/Vita I would've kept it.

What rules do you use to determine a charm is useful or not: the relationship between the affixes (dual damage or stamina/life are, while stamina/maximum damage aren't), only what's tradable, what's available at exactly that ALvl, style points or something else?

DaCerZ

Diabloii.Net Member
I generally go by the rule of "does my char need this charm/jewel?"

if I think the char benifits - I keep it, if not, I consider if its worth anything to anyone else, if it is, I store it somewhere and try to find a use for it.

Otherwise, it becomes gold and I buy pots with it, or repair my gear.

-Dace-

Cooked

Diabloii.Net Member
Jewels are used by crafters and as such can be worth maybe a Ko for 40? Make a junk jewel mule and save them.

Zavior

Diabloii.Net Member
I dont sell any jewels, unless its very urgent need of gold, which should never happen :p

After I have mule full of jewels, I go and sell them in sets of 40.

Ax2Grind

Diabloii.Net Member
Wrong direction

Ax2Grind said:
I'm trying to further clear my characters of less useful gear, and it got me thinking about which affixes or combinations of affixes really don't make a good charm. For instance, I just found and sold a Rugged Large Charm of Quality (RLvl48) because it simply was useless on a CLvl48 character, while if it had been a Fine/Quality or Rugged/Vita I would've kept it.

What rules do you use to determine a charm is useful or not: the relationship between the affixes (dual damage or stamina/life are, while stamina/maximum damage aren't), only what's tradable, what's available at exactly that ALvl, style points or something else?
It wasn't 'what do you do with junk jewels/charms,' it's 'how do you determine the difference between them and keepers?' Of course, junk jewels are valuable even if not socketed into anything, but charms aren't, so you have to make proper decisions. I just want to know what rules you use to determine that.

Freezing Rain

Diabloii.Net Member
I determine sell/keep by looking at the numbers. I would keep a 3max/20ar small charm over a 1max/10ar/10life sc, simply because the numbers add up more in the 3max/20ar charm. Although, nowadays i keep almost every charm, even the lowest ones i can reroll into great max/ar/life gc's for my LLD'r.

Arbedark

Diabloii.Net Member
To me, virtually any charms a keeper.

I'd rather have +6 life on a GC than 3 spare inventory slots which arent needed.

Once characters have 2x4 spare i fill them up with charms, ofc i use skillers / max/life etc if i have them, but while leveling, anything is useful, as it makes a character better! :p

Arb

Superhal

Diabloii.Net Member
you have to watch the trade forums and keep your eyes and ears open. i just heard yesterday that a perfect ar/life sc was worth 20 ists on east.

as a general rule of thumb:
dueling eq (especially charms) are worth the most.
max damage, life, mana, ar, resists and poison damage are the most highly desired qualities for charms.
enhanced damage, dex/str, resists and ias are the most desired for jewels.
there are special breaks for low level dueling, but in general, the best eq goes for the highest prices.
for different mods, different sizes of charms are better.

if you really want to find out, spend about 30 minutes a day in the trade channel, and just see what people are buying (what they are selling doesn't tell you as much, unless they put specific prices down.)