Which car: MB SL600 or Aston Martin DB9?

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diabloii.Net Member
Which car: MB SL600 or Aston Martin DB9?

The choice is between a 2004 Mercedes-Benz SL600 roadster, and an Aston Martin DB9, scheduled for delivery later this spring. Which would you choose if given the choice?

The SL600 has 493 HP, a twin-turbo V12, has retractable hardtop, is a two-seat sports car, has excellent roadside assistance, good parts availability, and an insane amount of technology wired into it. Faster than the DB9 by a fair margin. $129,000 and up.

The Aston Martin DB9 is all-new, doesn't have a lower model that looks just like it (unlike the SL600 which looks like the SL500), is far more prestigious, has a normally-aspirated V12 and 450-ish HP, will max out at 186 mph (no limiter), is not convertible but has four seats; and is entirely hand-built and ultra luxurious, and almost as fast as the SL600. $150,000-ish. Interior picture here

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diabloii.Net Member
Wuhan_Clan said:
Isn't the DB9 James Bond's new car in that last movie of his?
I don't believe so, he had a Vanquish or a DB7, I think... but have not seen the movie. The DB9 is inbetween the two performance-wise and isn't even out yet, so I doubt it was the car from the movie.

Wuhan_Clan

Diabloii.Net Member
giantpinkbunnyhead said:
I don't believe so, he had a Vanquish or a DB7, I think... but have not seen the movie. The DB9 is inbetween the two performance-wise and isn't even out yet, so I doubt it was the car from the movie.
Yeah, you're right. I never knew my English cars.

EEJ

Diabloii.Net Member
giantpinkbunnyhead said:
an Aston Martin DB9
Aston Martin DB9 is all-new, doesn't have a lower model that looks just like it (unlike the SL600 which looks like the SL500), is far more prestigious, has a normally-aspirated V12 and 450-ish HP, will max out at 186 mph (no limiter), is not convertible but has four seats; and is entirely hand-built and ultra luxurious, and almost as fast as the SL600. $150,000-ish. Interior picture here
........... :flip: I like.

*buys lottery ticket*

Delgo

Diabloii.Net Member
i would choose the aston martin, the mercedes i tihnk is pretty ugly.
fav car is 2003 ford XR6 turbo

ChoCoMoBo

Diabloii.Net Member
my brothers boss has 2 SL55 AMG mercs, which i personally prefer to the SL600, and its a freakn nice car :) but im sure the db9 looks awesome in the flesh to, so id say, i wouldnt rather have either.. put it this way, if uve got the money to buy one of these cars, uve got enough to buy both :) hehehe

PloX

Diabloii.Net Member
Merc's always look so cheap imo... the Aston wins.

aston is a whole lot more exclusive too.

tintrail

Diabloii.Net Member
going with the aston martin. even though it maxes out at 186 or thereabouts, i doubt i will ever be in a situation to take it above that...

strijdje

Diabloii.Net Member
damn, definitly the Aston :teeth: that thingy is wicked... but you mean u can actually afford it? :yep: rock on dude :lol:

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diabloii.Net Member
No this choice isn't for me, I'm helping my dad make it. Hence the opinion searching. He is thinking of trading his MB E55 up for one or the other. Currently the E55 is so highly desired that he can get more than he paid for the car when it was new, if he were to sell it now with 11K miles on it. I don't know which way he will go... I informed him of the opinions... he could go either way, or he might keep the E55... I gave him my vote for the Aston as well. That would be an awesome car to wash every Saturday morning, and take for a drive afterwards! Only problem is it's quite slow, takes about 5 seconds to get to 60. Top speed is excellent but that's rarely used unlike acceleration is.