Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Which build works for easy and efficient pit runs?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by genksen, Mar 14, 2018.

1. genksen

genksen Diabloii.Net Member

Hey,

I recently tried out the Berzerk Barbarian for pit runs and even though it works well and is objectively the best build for efficient MFing in SP I disliked playing this build. Sure, it takes some time to get used to it but I feel like it‘s too exhausting for me. Could you guys recommend an easy to play build that is still efficient, preferably more efficient than a very good AT Sorc? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Genksen

2. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

What players setting are you aiming to use?

3. genksen

Mainly p1

4. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

What gear do you have? Pit Singer is pretty good, more relaxed than Zerker. But not cheap.

5. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

Many people swear by the Poison mancer or a Multishot/strafer.

6. Fabian

Fabian Diabloii.Net Member

genksen,

I haven't been following the cutting edge of MF efficiency for a few years, but if you want to beat a very good AT sorc, I think a Berserk barb is pretty much your (only) choice. Sorry.

Maybe a singer. Maybe a Concentrate barb in AT? I dunno, that might have fallen out of fashion.

7. Jocular

Jocular Diabloii.Net Member

Multi/Strafer works reallllly well in my opinion. Buriza(Nef rune), Stealskull, Skullders (or Wealth, or 4topaz armor, etc.), Atma's, Goldwrap (or a nice crafted blood belt with plenty of strength), LoH, rare mf/res boots, mf scs. I pumped dex, grabbed a Might merc and gave him +skills gear. I tear through /p3 quickly and have 295 MF, and I keep a Harmony bow on switch for the FRW. I highly recommend this route, you can do AT easily, you can even do Travincal if you're careful and draw them out slowly.

drmalawi likes this.
  8. drmalawi

That is an epic budget MF build right there!

9. Jocular

Jocular Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks, it went through quite a few iterations but I'm very happy with it :D 462 dex and 449 life, and negative fire/cold resistances :p But Valk and Decoy make it safe.

edit: Just for fun I tried timing myself and got about 3.5 minute run time for The Pit, which, considering how budget the build is, I think isn't too bad. But probably not as fast/efficient as an AT Blizz sorc.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  10. Grape

Grape Diabloii.Net Member

If you want to beat AT Sorcs you have to use Barb and Enigma, pretty much. Fully decked out AT windy isn't bad but sorc is faster.

Pits Singer Barb is easy and relaxing and with good gear and map can rival with the best of AT Sorcs. This all is from fully MFing efficiency point of view (P1).

11. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

This. It's a shame but Pit Barbs (Zerker or Singer) are so good, followed by AT Sorcs, other builds are nowhere near that as far as MF on P1 goes. You could go with a lightning based build as many do well in Pits such as Javazon, Lightning Sorc, maybe Trapper even. But they really lack either speed and/or lack the ability to stack MF as much as those builds mentioned due to somewhat restricted gearing options.

If you really want to run something different, I'd go P7 with Necro or Java. Less MF efficiency, but more runes and XP if you want to level a bit.

12. genksen

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, it sort of confirms what I thought to be true - you can‘t beat a sorceress in terms of efficiency unless you‘re using a barbarian.
    The singer barb suggestion is definitely interesting - I‘ll give it a try.

13. NamelessPenguin

NamelessPenguin Diabloii.Net Member

I would start a char which I liked, and when you get bored with him, you start a AT sorc. No other char can be really effective without Enigma.

14. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

A blizzard sorc (and other sorcs as well, like fire or fire/cold) can do the Tunnels without any gear, so you can equip her with cheap MF stuff and kill there with hundreds of %MF. For example, something like Wealth (or just a ptopaz armor), a 3 ptopaz helm, Rhyme, Ali Baba, Chanceguards, Goldwrap and two Nagelrings (all of which you can find rather quickly in nightmare) gives you more than 300% MF. Of course, every character can wear that, but there's none who can teleport and kill as quickly at the same time. To speed up things, there are items like Shako, Tal's set etc. for even more MF together with excellent protection and killing power. I think that in order to be better at MF than that, you need (1) Enigma, (2) another few expensive items and (3) a play style that might cost more life expectancy than at least I can probably afford.

I'm thinking the same about Pit zerkers. Besides, even if you are good at it, they will die rather often. Rationally spoken, that's not much of a concern once there's not much to gain anymore from leveling, but logic isn't everything.

I think it needs suicidical madmen like pit zerkers to be better than her, with more fancy stuff than she would need.

15. NamelessPenguin

NamelessPenguin Diabloii.Net Member

Whats with Pitzerkers, why are they so difficult? How do you play them?

Hope i'm not highjacking.

16. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

You teleport into the boss pack, scare away the minions with howl, kill the boss, take 200 milliseconds to decide about the quality of the loot, off to the next boss etc.

To get an idea: https: // www . youtube . com / watch ? v=Y4uFf-y-e7Q (remove the spaces, as the forum's artificial stupidy would otherwise embed the video instead of just providing a link and I don't want that to happen). I don't know what the point is of playing it that fast. For example, the player didn't even bother to pick up the grand charm at 0:14.

17. drmalawi

Wouldn't concentrate be a good variation? Don't have to worry as much about drinking potions.

18. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

@NamelessPenguin I for one think it's super fun :) @Fabian wrote a great write-up on the guy here which contains all the info you ever need. His build and gear approach is pretty much what everybody uses now, and it's still the most efficient MF char by far. Couple of years ago this guide (and the build in general) was actually the reason why I came back from D3 to play D2 at all.

The gameplay may look hectic at first, but you get the hang of it quickly, and once you do it's great fun. Then the mission for the perfect map begins, and essentially never stops. :) It's a matter of taste whether you like the action, personally I like builds that give you a lot of things to do. Also the underlying concept can be generalized to some degree. IMO that kind of approach with a fast tele switch and an all-offensive kill switch is also the way to go for other characters (e.g. Javazon) as well.

Grape likes this.
  19. Grape

Grape Diabloii.Net Member

And remember: what seems too hectic and stressful becomes natural after you've made yourself to do it for awhile.

I'm relatively efficient because of that even when playing really relaxed and chill. For achieving better efficiency I might need to push myself again for some periods of time (and push myself to roll better maps :p ). Tournaments are good opportunities for that.

genksen likes this.
  20. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

IIRC @Fabian first made a guide for Concentrate. Then @Corrupted suggested he should try Berserk instead.