Which Barbarian gets the highest dmg?

Viktri

Diabloii.Net Member
Which Barbarian gets the highest dmg?

Strictly for PVM, what barb would get the most dmg?
Assume Merc has infinity and might

What gives most dmg -
EBOTD Great poleaxe or ZGrief/Beast?

I'm looking for a high dmg barb but things have changed from my days w/ the Cruel Colossus Blade of Quickness w/ 2 40/15%IAS or Cruel Lances + mods

My merch has a Fort, Infinity and Talrasha's maska for Leech (I think I should get Andarials helm?)

For barb I want a full dmg equip set up

Also, do people still make full str builds like before? (high Str for dmg)

Iirc Crushing Blow is really powerful now so I'll include that but I dont' want to include it in the weapon because I can get gloves and boots with it right?

I think I need the infinity because I'm not going to have high AR unless I go shield. I'm not sure though, so much has changed.

I looked through the guides but they're fairly old (2004) and I don't know much has changed since then (since I quit long before that).

Oh, another question:
For Torch, does it cast on WW? I think Arreat's said it didn't but I wanted to confirm. Do people make Frenzy./WW hybrids?

OT: Where are there so many Hammerdins these days?

Best damage over time = titan dual wield ww barb with lots of dmg auras from merc. Wear dracs and 2x EBOTD and you will have really nice life leech so you're be invincible as long as you're hitting meaties.

Nothing casts on WW.

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Best damage over time = titan dual wield ww barb with lots of dmg auras from merc. Wear dracs and 2x EBOTD and you will have really nice life leech so you're be invincible as long as you're hitting meaties.

Nothing casts on WW.
What good would Dracs do a WWer? Like you said, nothing casts on WW, and if you switch to a secondary attack to trigger the Lifetap, then your killing speed will fall through the floor. If you want a speedy killer who has Lifetap, you're better off putting the Dracs on a character who can trigger with his normal attack.

Ce Olba

Banned
What good would Dracs do a WWer? Like you said, nothing casts on WW, and if you switch to a secondary attack to trigger the Lifetap, then your killing speed will fall through the floor. If you want a speedy killer who has Lifetap, you're better off putting the Dracs on a character who can trigger with his normal attack.
Life leech, +str, OW.

TheBe

Diabloii.Net Member
And if you want high damage, swap infinity for PRIDE. Adds nice damage for meelee chars. :)

Dahmer

Diabloii.Net Member
titan build for high dmg and using dracs? why not use steelrends then?
extra ed, extra str and extra cb

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Life leech, +str, OW.
You'd think a good set of Blood Gloves would be better, though. OW only has to trigger once (i.e. it doesn't stack), and if you're hitting as quickly as 2 fpa with a dual-wield Whirlwind, you're going to trigger OW just fine even with a much lower percentage. The CB, on the other hand, DOES stack (i.e. triggering CB multiple times on the same monster is actually beneficial, so it's worth your while trying to get it to trigger with every attack). Meanwhile, Blood Gloves can also get great life leech, equal +str, and a bunch of other handy mods, such as +dex, mana leech, resists, IAS (which is useless with Whirlwind but handy if you ever switch to Berserk for PIs), Goldfind, Magic Find, etc.

Laying of Hands are always in style, too.

Ce Olba

Banned
You'd think a good set of Blood Gloves would be better, though. OW only has to trigger once (i.e. it doesn't stack), and if you're hitting as quickly as 2 fpa with a dual-wield Whirlwind, you're going to trigger OW just fine even with a much lower percentage. The CB, on the other hand, DOES stack (i.e. triggering CB multiple times on the same monster is actually beneficial, so it's worth your while trying to get it to trigger with every attack). Meanwhile, Blood Gloves can also get great life leech, equal +str, and a bunch of other handy mods, such as +dex, mana leech, resists, IAS (which is useless with Whirlwind but handy if you ever switch to Berserk for PIs), Goldfind, Magic Find, etc.

Laying of Hands are always in style, too.
It's not about +stats, it's about damage. And there's nothing that will STAY as effective as Open wounds.

sirwhere

Diabloii.Net Member
titan build for high dmg and using dracs? why not use steelrends then?
extra ed, extra str and extra cb
Steelrends (and drac's) suck as compared to laying/ghoulhide. Steelrends are more of a pvp thing, like Dracul's.

Dahmer

Diabloii.Net Member
It's not about +stats, it's about damage. And there's nothing that will STAY as effective as Open wounds.
open wounds on a titan pvm build seems pretty useless though, open wounds is damage over time while as a titan you can end up killing most mobs in very little time

Viktri

Diabloii.Net Member
And if you want high damage, swap infinity for PRIDE. Adds nice damage for meelee chars. :)
Pride gives Concentration aura right?
I don't know if I want to give up Infinity (more hits = more leech and more dmg) because I don't plan on investing in a shield or dexterity. At this moment I've only considered Pikes or Dual wielding. I've been a S/S barb in the past and it was fun in PVP but I'm interested in conquering PVM first :) (I haven't faced DClone or any Ubers yet). Furthermore, there are, like, a billion paladins nowadays who all have their level 36 concentration auras.

Berserk is without doubt a high damage skill but when I say "damage" I mean overall damage including mobs. WW has that nice splash damage factor that makes it very effective in dealing damage over time.

On the topic of open wounds, how useful is it for a PVM Barb?
If I'm fighting Ubers/Dclone and stuff like that I assume I'll need some Pdmg SCs to prevent monster heal but do I really need OW?

But first I want to know if 2 handers or dual wielders get more damage?
I've read that Frenzy Barbs do well against Ubers but no one said that WWs are bad so I'm not sure..

If I got 2 hand I'll get beast/EBOTD zerker axes right? They seem to be suprerior in every way.

Btw, does anyone know how much life I should aim for?
I was considering putting my life at base and going full strength like I did before but with all the strong monsters I don't know if I'll survive.

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
True, but if you're hitting 12.5 times per second, and Open Wounds lasts for 8 seconds, then you only need to trigger it once every 100 hits for it to stay active. The 25% on Drac's is superfluous- the 10% on Gore Riders is all you need.

With OW, the difference between 25% and 50% is pretty much nothing. With CB, the difference between 25% and 50% is very noticeable.

kabal

Diabloii.Net Member
True, but if you're hitting 12.5 times per second, and Open Wounds lasts for 8 seconds, then you only need to trigger it once every 100 hits for it to stay active. The 25% on Drac's is superfluous- the 10% on Gore Riders is all you need.

With OW, the difference between 25% and 50% is pretty much nothing. With CB, the difference between 25% and 50% is very noticeable.
In theory, triggering OW more than once every 8 seconds is useful if you trigger it on different monsters.

In practice, OW damage tends to be insignificant except for ubers/dclone (and maybe Baal) when it's useful to stop monster regen. In those cases you're only fighting one monster so you don't have to worry about OW procs being spread out over many targets, so I agree that you won't need more than the 10% OW from Gores.

Viktri

Diabloii.Net Member
So if I make a barb to do high dmg, I should use Zerker/Zerker instead of EBOTD great pole axe?

Do 5 slot Zerker axes drop and can they be made from the quest?

psych

Diabloii.Net Member
Viktri, if you play now for the first time after your break with no items collected yet, it is more advisable to make a regular vita barb instead of a "titan". As you said, monsters do way more damage now than in .09.

Also for pvm play indestructable weapons are usefull/less annoying, hence the BotD that was suggested (ofc made in an eth weapon). Should you choose a WW-build you have the option of 2*BA's or 1*GPA (more hits vs. higher range) but I guess that is also dependent on what you can/expect to spend.
For frenzy you would need 2 weapons of course. BTW no-one makes WW/frenzy hybrids.

Yes, everyone plays hammerdins, because they are the biggest cookie cutter build in this patch.

Hope this helps.

kohlman

Diabloii.Net Member
If you are ultimately looking at ubers, I would suggest that you go more of a frenzy route for the chance to cast lifetap from dracs gloves. If you are adamant about ww, then dracs would not be the most optimal. A ww barb simply does not survive enough in uber tristram long enough to defeat all ubers somewhat untwinked. If you can beat ubertrist with untwinked ww barb, you are a man.

i know that this is probably going to spark some controversy about how it is possible, but to this day, i have not heard of it done. I have only heard that frenzy barbs are much better at uber trist.

Vita barb would be much more preferable to titan as well because in uber trist, the ubers do some insane damage so less life usually = death.

Open wounds from gores should suffice in trist but i would suggest using dracs as well for ubers unless you are ww barb. Open wounds or poison are vital in uber trist to counter the monster life regeneration that they have.

Crushing blow is also crucial in ubertrist. If a boss has 650,000 life in ubertrist, and crushing blow takes it down by a percentage (1/8 or 1/10 i think) thats about 65k+ per first hit. That is huge to reduce the amount of time you are tanking hits from an uber boss.

So if I make a barb to do high dmg, I should use Zerker/Zerker instead of EBOTD great pole axe?

Do 5 slot Zerker axes drop and can they be made from the quest?
Zerker axes are usually the way to go. For some reason that I do not know, pole axes have fallen out since the old days.

Yes 5 soc zerker axes drop but are rather rare.

Viktri

Diabloii.Net Member
Hey everyone
My first 2 chars I made were a Sorc and Necro for MF purposes and I managed to acquire some wealth on the ladder with some items I found (and this forum).

I've equiped the torch and anni and they give huge stat bonuses (w/ Engima) so at this moment I don't need any Str to equip Berserker axes (but I haven't found any 5soc axes).

If I equip 1 posion SC with high duration (and I don't know if these exist) would it counter regeneration?

I think I'll stick with Frenzy then, it looks like alot of fun. My brother made a Frenzy barb before synergies and it was much fun but wasn't very fast at killing. Thanks for the help